Going to WDW with no ADRs and the DDP

jon18uk

DIS Veteran
We are flying over from the UK, we are taking up the dining plan but I don't intend to make any dining reservations before we leave the UK. I don't really expect to make many once we are at WDW. My plan is to try to to TS for lunch to avoid the evening rush, or make a reservation the night before once we know what parkwe are going to.

Also as we are going to Universal and Busch, we won't use some of the dredits for those days, other than having breakfast any tips to use up the spare CS credits, as we'll probably eat a TS at boatwrights when we return to POFQ after universal.

Thanks.

Welcome to the DIS! :)

When is your trip? If you are going during a slower time, your plan may work out fine - but there have been reports of people being turned away even for lunch. It helps if you are flexible about where & when you eat.

Personally, I'd make ADRs for where you think you'll be - you can always change them once you're there.

Even with ADR's at lunch we have waited a long time. I wouldn't chance it. When you check in , you should go to guest relations at your resort and see if they can make some for you. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

i have a similar question, we are going in sept and using the dining plan, we have made a few key reservations such as le cellier and cinderellas royal table breakfast but i really would like to keep open the times we will be eating for the most part but still would like to go to certain restaurants such as sci fi diner and coral reef etc, is it feasable to not make adrs and expect to get a table for some of these places on a spur of the moment or should i really make adrs for everyday of our trip thus kinda "sticking" me to a certain park at certain times just becuase we want to eat at these restaurants?, tx

dm220 said:
i have a similar question, we are going in sept and using the dining plan, we have made a few key reservations such as le cellier and cinderellas royal table breakfast but i really would like to keep open the times we will be eating for the most part but still would like to go to certain restaurants such as sci fi diner and coral reef etc

If you really want to eat at Sci-Fi, I'd make an ADR. This restuarant is very popular becasue of its novelty. I made my ADR's 180 days out and even this far out, many of the prime lunch times for Sci-FI were already gone.

We went last September and found many people were turned away from restaurants even at lunch due to no advance reservations. It can be a pain to try to figure out where you want to eat months in advance- but it's even more of a pain to run around from restaurant to restaurant looking for anywhere that will seat you- particularly when you want to be having fun not wandering around in a state of frustration. The other thing was with ADRs we never even had to wait for a table. I would really think strongly about making some ADRs - you can always cancel or switch them once you are there- but at least you have them!
dm220- I would go ahead and call for ressies for Sci-Fi- unless you get there first thing when they open for lunch - you might have a hard time getting in or getting stuck with a lousy time.
Just another thought for all those going even in slow times- you might want to check out www.touringplans.com- they will give recommendations of the best days to go to each park given factors such as extra magic hours- it could help you narrow down where you might be for the day and then making it easier to make ADRs.
The way I look at it is the more planning you do of the routine stuff ahead of time, the more you can relax when you are there and not have to slug it out with all the other folks who didn't realize that they should reserve in advance!!!

Honestly, with the amount of people on DDP, I wouldn't even chance it. If there is anywhere you really want to eat, make an ADR in advance. I'd go so far as to make one for each day you'll be eating in WDW. That way, you can always make a new one when you get there, and if everything is booked you'll still have somewhere to eat.

I saw a thread on here recently about no last minute ADR's being available at all. It was probably during peak or holiday season, but I still wouldn't want to chance it. The more popular DDP becomes, the harder it becomes to just walk in anywhere.

tx for the feedback, i think i will go ahead and make the adrs today and if i decide to change them i can in the future, again tx

During the slow seasons, there are less CMs working in the restaurants. I remember at H&V, half the tables were empty. This was due to the number of CMs they had on staff for the day. Even with an ADR that day in September, we waited about 35 minutes.

We were there in February. It was great, lines were short. Not crowded at all. DH noticed at MK and Epcot that by early afternoon there were signs up in front of customer service area that no table service reservations were available. All his DW's (my) planning, which he thought was going a bit overboard, was worth it. :banana:

I would go ahead and make the ADR's. Most you can change/cancel (Princess Storybook requires like a 48 hour notice). At least that way you have something to fall back on.

We went in early December last year and ADRs were vey hard to come by even at the 90 day window which was in place then. When I arrived I tried to change a few with absolutely no luck! I would defiantely make a few ADRs so that you can make sure that you can use your TS credits. The plan is really a waste if those don't get used!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter