Gold Mobility Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.
From John - 68 years old, retired Safety Engineer (OHSA compliance officer for both Manufacturing and Construction), and with over 500 visits to WDW and US/IA over the past 40 years, I can sincerely say that our GMS Victory 10 3-wheel ECV's allowed us to enjoy "The Happiest Place on Earth" to a degree never achieved before! For us, it worked out to be just over $18. per day, each ... less than a day's parking charge at the parks ($22. a day during our two weeks of October 1 - 15 of 2018)! Nick was our contact and was readily accessible whenever we needed to contact him for anything, on time for delivery and pick-up, and truly a young man possessing both Professional and personable mannerisms at all times. Our "trusty steeds" performed beyond that which was advertised and expected, and aside from 'saving our bodies', were super-comfortable to both sit on and drive around. I'm 6' 5" tall and weigh 240 lbs. and the seat height, width, and backward adjustability, didn't make me feel "cramped" at all. One of the "bonus" features to these Captain's chairs was the ability to recline the seat backs and headrests while we watched the fireworks shows. Breaking them down and re-assembling them from transporting them to and from the parks in our rental SUV was easy and quick. I averaged about 12 minutes to do BOTH of them without straining myself or encountering any problems. The baskets on them are big enough to hold whatever you need, without the need for the optional rear basket that adds more length to the scooter, which could cause maneuvering problems (backing up and in and out of elevators). The cell phone holders were God-sends for carrying and re-charging cell phones and the water bottle holder easily carried our 1.1 liter sparkling water bottles. We saw the optional shade canopies on a few of their scooters at the parks, but again we didn't feel this to be a worthwhile option for us.

From Maureen - 65 years old and this was her 1st time at WDW - Thank God for our "trusty steeds" as John calls them...saved our knees, feet, hips and John's back (he's had 2 back surgeries and one on his neck). With the adjustable speed control, we were able to navigate safely thru the crowds single file in comfort and much more quickly than we could walk without having to stop every 10 minutes to rest. Both of us played sports, and I was a competitive disco dancer, so knee cartilage is practically nil. They even have a charging port and holders for your cellphone and beverages! They hold a charge for up to 20 hours, as well. Thank you, Gold Mobility Scooters for saving our vacation!

From John - 68 years old, retired Safety Engineer (OHSA compliance officer for both Manufacturing and Construction), and with over 500 visits to WDW and US/IA over the past 40 years...

Great review! I felt the same way about Nick - he was very helpful - and about the rental overall. One thing that made a huge difference was the USB charging port for my phone. I haven't had a scooter rental (Other than the park rentals at US/IOA) that had that so it was great. My kids (who are older) also thought it was hilarious to "live stream" on YouTube from my phone (or theirs) - they plugged it into the USB and set it in the phone holder and off we went.

“Featured” vendor status does not necessarily convey “approved” or “preferred” or “better” in any particular manner. That is a common misconception.

“Featured” vendors are only “vetted and inspected” to the extent that they meet certain criteria. Namely, I believe that is size of fleet, size of ECV (some models are larger than ADA standards), speed control, promise to drop-off and pick-up in a timely manner without leaving equipment at Bell Services for days at a time, and a level of business insurance limiting WDW’s liability for the equipment on their property. Criteria that directly impacts WDW operations and partnership. Customer service and age/condition of equipment may vary regardless of “Featured” status - a quick search of this forum will show both complaints and rave reviews for Featured vendors and non-featured vendors alike. I don’t believe any vendor is “approved” over any other. Even non-featured vendors are able to enter the parks for service assistance. And “Featured” is not a status every vendor can be granted — not all vendors opted to apply for Featured status, WDW initially only chose 5 vendors though 1 of which has since closed the business, and to my knowledge WDW has not entertained any further applicants beyond the initial round. A vendor who was not in business in 2012 has had no opportunity to become “Featured.”

I could see how a non-featured vendor might pro-actively try to respond to the question “why aren’t you an approved vendor?” There is no such status.
You forgot the most important requirement of all: Featured Vendors must pay Disney Money to be a featured provider, which is why they usually cost more.

You forgot the most important requirement of all: Featured Vendors must pay Disney Money to be a featured provider, which is why they usually cost more.

I do not believe they pay any fee to WDW to be “Featured” - it’s an unfounded rumor that people like to perpetuate.

I do not believe they pay any fee to WDW to be “Featured” - it’s an unfounded rumor that people like to perpetuate.
Many people believe there is a fee involved, but as far as I know, there is not and has not been a fee involved.
l spoke to multiple providers and to Disney staff who were in position to know.

The featured providers had to agree to certain things, including size and maximum speed of ECV, pick up & delivery and insurance.
The advantages to Disney to having only a few featured providers are pretty great.
Before, the program was started, Disney resorts had ECVs parked all over and Bell Services was full of them. I have heard some of the companies tried to sue Disney for damages to their ECVs because ‘they were on Disney Property’.
On one trip, we saw one parked in front of our building for over a week after the check out time that was listed on the tag attached to the ECV. We had also seen ECVs sitting that had been delivered 3 or 4 days before the actual date it was rented for.

Now, Disney is only responsible for the equipment from the Featured Providers and doesn’t have the issue of ECVs sitting all over.

Except in my experience many of the featured companies have very poor customer service, for example Buena Vista Scooters were very rude over the phone, even when we ended up using them and had an issue, they wouldn't come out and take care of it until the next day and this was at 7 or 8 at night.

Apple Scooters had been good in the past, but look at recent reviews and it appears they have gone downhill as well.

As for a fee being involved, I would tend to bet that there is one in some shape or form. It may be that all employees are required to have a certain level of Annual Pass or that they have to pay for parking, etc. when taking care of guests. As for ECVs everywhere, I have been since they implemented the program and they still were all over the place and Bell Services telling people they didn't have their ECV that was supposedly dropped off by a featured vendor. No, I don't buy into the program being a good one.

At least with someone bringing it to you personally and picking it up directly from you, you know they delivered and received the scooter. BTW, not all featured providers provide insurance free of charge, Buena Vista charges an arm and a leg for it for example.

I have looked at their website too. It seems to me they have a great marketing person doing their social media stuff. So I think that misleading is exactly what they had in mind. It is no accident, using that wording. And the statement “IMPORTANT WDW SCOOTER RENTAL AND WDW STROLLER RENTAL INFO - ALL MOBILITY SCOOTERS WE RENT WE 100% CERTIFY THAT THEY ARE DISNEY APPROVED SCOOTER RENTALS” seems to me is trying to imply the are approved as the companies that have been vetted and inspected by Disney. I’ll stick with the Disney list, most of them anyway.
I disagree that it’s misleading. The line you quoted is at the beginning of a section where they flat out say they are not a member of the “Preferred Vendor Program”. They go through a detailed explanation why they currently won't pay for this program.

As to the statement you quoted; Disney has requirements for a wheelchair/ECV not rented through WDW or one of the preferred vendors to be used on property and with their transportation service. While it is certainly marketing speak, it lets the renter know it meets WDW’s requirements.

Mike

I disagree that it’s misleading. The line you quoted is at the beginning of a section where they flat out say they are not a member of the “Preferred Vendor Program”. They go through a detailed explanation why they currently won't pay for this program.

As to the statement you quoted; Disney has requirements for a wheelchair/ECV not rented through WDW or one of the preferred vendors to be used on property and with their transportation service. While it is certainly marketing speak, it lets the renter know it meets WDW’s requirements.

Mike
We all ar e entitled to our own opinion. We will just have to disagree on this. But read it carefully again,as if seeing it for the first time, in the context it is presented in.

“If you are staying at a Disney Resort
In November 2012 Disney changed its policy regarding delivery and pick up of mobility scooter rentals and stroller rentals.
All scooter rental and stroller rental deliveries & pickups MUST BE MADE DIRECTLY TO THE GUEST.

Bell stations OR concierge will NO LONGER accept delivery for the guest for scooter rental or stroller rental .”
Nowhere does it say “unless you rent from a Select Vendor”, it just says deliveries have to be made directly.

We all ar e entitled to our own opinion. We will just have to disagree on this. But read it carefully again,as if seeing it for the first time, in the context it is presented in.

“If you are staying at a Disney Resort
In November 2012 Disney changed its policy regarding delivery and pick up of mobility scooter rentals and stroller rentals.
All scooter rental and stroller rental deliveries & pickups MUST BE MADE DIRECTLY TO THE GUEST.

Bell stations OR concierge will NO LONGER accept delivery for the guest for scooter rental or stroller rental .”
Nowhere does it say “unless you rent from a Select Vendor”, it just says deliveries have to be made directly.
Respectfully, I did carefully read the whole thing and they specifically state that preferred vendors can drop off and pick at the bell desk. It actually states the following:

Disney currently offers a "Preferred Vendor Program". This program allows a few select vendors to drop off and pick up from the bell desk.

It is clear that they state that preferred vendors can drop off at the bell desk and why they choose not to pay for the "Preferred Vendor Program".

I’ve attached a screen shot of the entire section. When you got to the web page, just be sure to scroll all the way down.

gms-new.jpg

Respectfully, I did carefully read the whole thing and they specifically state that preferred vendors can drop off and pick at the bell desk. It actually states the following:

Disney currently offers a "Preferred Vendor Program". This program allows a few select vendors to drop off and pick up from the bell desk.

It is clear that they state that preferred vendors can drop off at the bell desk and why they choose not to pay for the "Preferred Vendor Program".

I’ve attached a screen shot of the entire section. When you got to the web page, just be sure to scroll all the way down.

View attachment 363034
Only “Preferred Vendor Program” is not something the “Selected Vendor” pays to get into. They were chosen on their merit.

Only “Preferred Vendor Program” is not something the “Selected Vendor” pays to get into. They were chosen on their merit.
I never said I thought they had to pay. I actually have no idea if there is a pay program. GMS was taking about paying.

I was showing that GMS was clear about they were not one of the preferred vendors that could drop off or pick up at the bell desk.

Mike

Last edited:
Is there any evidence one way or the other that payment is required or not required to be in the featured/preferred vendor list? Really, I have never seen any evidence on way or the other.

That being said, I can't imagine that Disney doesn't charge some form of fee to these providers for being able to use bell services. After all, Disney would technically become liable for damage or theft the moment the scooter is turned over to them until they hand it to the guest or back to the service provider. This would mean paying for insurance which would most likely not be part of their normal schedule and we all know Disney won't be doing that without getting reimbursed.

I have to agree with others that the language is not misleading and does let people know there are options and their point is valid there is no need to pay a higher price when they offer a level of customer service that goes well above and beyond what these featured providers are providing. If there is evidence that tone does not have to pay to be a featured/preferred provider, I would say send it to GMS and I am sure they would update their website. Otherwise, I think they would be more knowledgeable about if one had to pay or not than you or I.

Is there any evidence one way or the other that payment is required or not required to be in the featured/preferred vendor list? Really, I have never seen any evidence on way or the other.

That being said, I can't imagine that Disney doesn't charge some form of fee to these providers for being able to use bell services. After all, Disney would technically become liable for damage or theft the moment the scooter is turned over to them until they hand it to the guest or back to the service provider. This would mean paying for insurance which would most likely not be part of their normal schedule and we all know Disney won't be doing that without getting reimbursed.

I have to agree with others that the language is not misleading and does let people know there are options and their point is valid there is no need to pay a higher price when they offer a level of customer service that goes well above and beyond what these featured providers are providing. If there is evidence that tone does not have to pay to be a featured/preferred provider, I would say send it to GMS and I am sure they would update their website. Otherwise, I think they would be more knowledgeable about if one had to pay or not than you or I.
I don't know if there is a fee or not. But, even if they don't charge a fee to use bell services, I have to believe that they are paying to have their name, phone number, and link to their website on Disney's ECV Rentals page. How likely is it that any company gets free referrals and advertising on another company's website?

Mike

OK.........So, back to Gold Mobility Scooters, and another very positive experience!!!

I rented for the last 8 days of October and this is the best company from which I have ever rented! Communication was great. I received confirmation texts the night before I arrived at WDW and the night before I departed with pick-up times and asking if those times were satisfactory. I also confirmed when DME left the airport after arrival. Delivery and pick-up were on time. They adjusted the seat upon delivery so that it was so much more comfortable than any other company. The scooter was in perfect condition. I never had a battery problem after charging each night for 7 to 8 hours. Like a PP mentioned, the cell phone holder and ability to charge it was one of my favorite features. The temps were cool at night and perfect during the day (after a sudden cool-down) so I did not use the fan. Loved the water bottle holder. I also did not add any options to the scooter. They brought the rear basket but it was to large and would have presented a problem with smaller elevators at Boardwalk, etc. I saw people with the overhead awnings, but again those appeared to add bulk to the scooters and I felt I needed the warmth of the sun during the cooler days when I was there.

I will continue to rent from GMS as there is no comparison between their service and some of the others, that remain in service. The only other one I previously had great service from was Care Medical, but the owners retired and they are no longer in business.

Buena Vista Scooters dropped one off on my last visit in which I would have had to stand on my head to drive! The back was almost reclining and the handle bars were rotated forward and down. I couldn't reach the controls in any way, and they argued about coming out to deliver another one until I threatened to stop the charge on my credit card. There is no comparison between companies.

THEY ARE DISNEY APPROVED SCOOTER RENTALS” seems to me is trying to imply the are approved as the companies that have been vetted and inspected by Disney. I’ll stick with the Disney list, most of them anyway.
"Trying to imply"? No. You inferring without sufficient consideration, maybe.
our GMS Victory 10 3-wheel ECV's allowed us to enjoy "The Happiest Place on Earth"
Sigh. DisneyLand is "The Happjest Place on Earth." Wat Disney World is, " The Most Magical Place on Earth. " :D
Is there any evidence one way or the other that payment is required or not required to be in the featured/preferred vendor list?
Sue's conversations with multiple CMs works for me.

Sue's conversations with multiple CMs works for me.
The problem is CMs won't know, only the executives at Disney World that are specifically in charge of the program and the scooter rental companies would know. So as I said, is there any evidence one way or another?

OK.........So, back to Gold Mobility Scooters, and another very positive experience!!!

I rented for the last 8 days of October and this is the best company from which I have ever rented! Communication was great. I received confirmation texts the night before I arrived at WDW and the night before I departed with pick-up times and asking if those times were satisfactory. I also confirmed when DME left the airport after arrival. Delivery and pick-up were on time. They adjusted the seat upon delivery so that it was so much more comfortable than any other company. The scooter was in perfect condition. I never had a battery problem after charging each night for 7 to 8 hours. Like a PP mentioned, the cell phone holder and ability to charge it was one of my favorite features. The temps were cool at night and perfect during the day (after a sudden cool-down) so I did not use the fan. Loved the water bottle holder. I also did not add any options to the scooter. They brought the rear basket but it was to large and would have presented a problem with smaller elevators at Boardwalk, etc. I saw people with the overhead awnings, but again those appeared to add bulk to the scooters and I felt I needed the warmth of the sun during the cooler days when I was there.

I will continue to rent from GMS as there is no comparison between their service and some of the others, that remain in service. The only other one I previously had great service from was Care Medical, but the owners retired and they are no longer in business.

Buena Vista Scooters dropped one off on my last visit in which I would have had to stand on my head to drive! The back was almost reclining and the handle bars were rotated forward and down. I couldn't reach the controls in any way, and they argued about coming out to deliver another one until I threatened to stop the charge on my credit card. There is no comparison between companies.
Yep, I had this kind of experience with Buena Vista as well, not sure how they are still a featured vendor if track record is what it takes to be one and not money.

I don't know if there is a fee or not. But, even if they don't charge a fee to use bell services, I have to believe that they are paying to have their name, phone number, and link to their website on Disney's ECV Rentals page. How likely is it that any company gets free referrals and advertising on another company's website?

Mike
This is also a very valid point, there is definitely a money trail somewhere in there, it just doesn't make any logical sense that there wouldn't be.

Just got back and used Gold Mobility for this trip. Had a great experience and loved all the features on the scooter. Especially the phone holder and ability to charge it. The phone holder was very secure. Great service,) they met me as I got off magical express. The scooter was in great condition, battery lasted a really long time, I even forgot to charge it one night. I got the sunshade and hated it. Just made the scooter feel wider and felt like I couldn’t talk as easily to people walking alongside me. It was easily taken off so glad I tried it anyway.

I picked up my scooter from Gold Mobility yesterday. Nick texted me The night before to confirm time, and then day of to see if we wanted to meet earlier. He was very friendly. We got a brand new scooter never been used! Love all the extras that are not extras with them. The cup holder securely held my soda bottle. The phone holder also securely held my phone even over bumpy ground. I loved using the USB port to charge my phone last night. They are definitely my #1 choice going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter