Golden Gate Park vs. Marin Headlands

tinker-belle

Mouseketeer
This may be a stupid question- but it's our first time going to San Francisco. Are the golden gate park & Marin Headlands the same park?

If not and we only have time for one, which one do you recommend? (And do both have views of the golden gate bridge. Thanks!

Golden Gate Park is a very expansive park on the city side of the bridge. YOu can drive to the end of the park to the fort, and you will be right underneath the bridge. We prefer to drive across the bridge and view the city and bridge from Marin side. You have the bridge in the foreground and the city in back, as long as it is not obscured by fog. You can then drive all around the headlands for fabulous photo spots. We like to then hit up Sausalito for lunch before driving back to the city.

Golden Gate Park is a very expansive park on the city side of the bridge. YOu can drive to the end of the park to the fort, and you will be right underneath the bridge...

Um, I'm so confused. There is no end of Golden Gate Park that ends up by any fort under the bridge. Golden Gate Park runs from the beach to Stanyon Street and is never near the bridge.

As the PP said, the Marin headlands and GGP are two very different things in two different cities. Which one to do depends on what you are looking for. If you want to stay in the city and see what it has to offer, GGP is awesome and has much to do. If you want a drive and to see Marin, then do the headlands. If you opt to stay in the city and you want to see the bridge, you can do that, too, there's just not a place to do that in GGP.

My first caveat for first time visitors even if it has nothing to do with what they asked- bring warm clothes. Seriously.

Golden Gate Park in in San Francisco. It's similar to NYC's Central Park in that it's a huge amount of green space reserved in the city and has a lot of different things to do and see. We love going here, and after 8 years, we still haven't seen everything. You won't see the bridge from here unless you go to the top of the De Young Museum (which is a free elevator ride, although the museum itself is not free) and can happen to see the Bridge. I can't recall if you can spot it from there, but it wouldn't be a fantastic view if you can.

The Marin headlands are on the opposite side of the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco. The gorgeous shots you will see of the bridge with the city in the background are often from here. Unlike GGP, there isn't a lot of different things to do here. It's more driving, looking at amazing views, and some hiking.

They are very different places, so it depends on what you are looking for. Honestly, if you have time, I'd do both as they offer different things. If you don't want both, can you explain what you are looking for?

I believe what a PP was referring to with the park ending at the Fort is Crissy Field at the Presidio.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter