Gondolas swaying in the wind and rain video

ArielRae

DIS Veteran (NJ)
Found a video on YouTube showing how the gondolas sway during a windy rain storm.
We still don't know how they will handle different weather when running the gondolas.

At 1:13 you get a zoomed in view.

I expect that it wouldn't be any different from the Friendship boats being halted during inclement weather, I am sure that there will be certain factors such as thunderstorm warnings that will immediately halt the system until the weather passes.

Considering they can clear any gondola in less than 5-6 minutes, all trips between stations are less than that, no one will be in a gondola with weather like that. The drama about the safety and comfort of the gondola system is pretty crazy. This is not the first gondola system ever, it is a tried and remarkably safe technology. Gondolas will be the safest mode of transit in the parks by a large margin. You have a much higher chance to be injured by an ECV walking in the parks.

Last edited:
Considering they can clear any gondola in less than 5-6 minutes, all trips between stations are less than that, no one will in a gondola with weather like that. The drama about the safety and comfort of the gondola system is pretty crazy. This is not the first gondola system ever, it is a tried and remarkably safe technology. Gondolas will be the safest mode of transit in the parks by a large margin. You have a much higher chance to be injured by an ECV walking in the parks.

Agreed! There has always seemed to be an extra layer of unncessary scrutiny when it comes to all things Disney, it can be mind blowing at times.

Now this is a Gondola system

3301867275_c12813e335_z.jpg

5287de3d4d3704125c0ba4de3e5272bf.jpg

Some cars even have a glass bottom
the-glass-bottom.jpg

Last edited:
I’d assume that it’s what they expected in heavy rains n wind since summer in fla is much of that.
Not something I’d likely use regardless. My experience in the good ol days at disney and also skiing not something I wish to repeat.

We ride gondolas just like this all the time when skiing. They are made to be able to move like that. Sure, they will close them if it gets too windy. But some swaying is normal. I've been in them when it was much worse than in that video. I'm more concerned about how hot they will be in the summer - even in the mountains they can get a little toasty when the sun is out. I've already starting referring to them as the "baking buckets", lol!

I didn’t see much movement. It isn’t like they are simply balanced on the cable or anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!