Gone fishin'

MrsCobraBubbles

Life's too short to wear pants all the time
Fishing is fun!

I haven't been fishing since I was a kid, but I just took the kids fishing for opening day of trout season and we had a blast, though we didn't catch anything but pond scum and a water beetle.

I'm curious, do we have any fishing people (whatever the proper terminology is) on the community board?

Fishing is fun!

I haven't been fishing since I was a kid, but I just took the kids fishing for opening day of trout season and we had a blast, though we didn't catch anything but pond scum and a water beetle.

I'm curious, do we have any fishing people (whatever the proper terminology is) on the community board?

I grew up fishing on the Texas coast. My Dad had a boat and nearly every weekend we would go. I have so many fond memories. I love to hear the boats on he bay and smell the bad bait smell :) Such great memories. I really miss my Dad whenever I just even hear the word fishing :)

Aww, I'm sorry to make you miss him. My grandpap used to take me fishing and today we were using the same rods and tackle box that we used back when I was a kid in the 80's. It kind of made me sad and happy at the same time. The nostalgia really took me by surprise.

My Dad, husband and son are avid fishermen.
My husband and son also went trout fishing this morning and actually back at the creek right now.
They only caught three this morning and did catch and release.

All 3 of my guys love to fish for crappie and walleye. They also will fish for striper bass when it comes in season. They will spent ALL night down at the lake fishing!

My husband has a fishing boat and my son will fish from his kayak.

Can't tell you the last time I went, but I enjoy fishing - trout fishing in particular. I'm not much of a fly fisherman though. I prefer super ultralight spincast tackle.

Can't tell you the last time I went, but I enjoy fishing - trout fishing in particular. I'm not much of a fly fisherman though. I prefer super ultralight spincast tackle.
I don't understand most of the terminology you just used :) But glad you agree fishing is fun! I'm not an outdoorsy girl so I'm shocked at how much I enjoyed it. I thought I was just going for the kids but I ended up having just as much fun as them, even though I didn't actually get to fish. I promised my son that I would buy a license for myself so I can fish with them next time. I think we found an awesome summer activity and I'm so happy!

I like to fish, my dad used to take me trout fishing when I was a kid, and I was hooked (ha!). Since then, I've fished for panfish, bass, catfish, crappies, and other freshwater species, as well as ocean pier fishing and the occasional deep sea fishing trip. I wish I had a boat, but have managed to have fun fishing from the bank, dock, riverbank, pier, jetty, etc. Now that I have a little guy, and he enjoys it too (hooked and landed a fish on his first cast when he was only 2!), I'm hoping to go out a bit more this summer.

Perhaps some fishing from a canoe or kayak on our local lake is in the cards, since the rental rates are reasonable.

I don't understand most of the terminology you just used :) But glad you agree fishing is fun! I'm not an outdoorsy girl so I'm shocked at how much I enjoyed it. I thought I was just going for the kids but I ended up having just as much fun as them, even though I didn't actually get to fish. I promised my son that I would buy a license for myself so I can fish with them next time. I think we found an awesome summer activity and I'm so happy!

Fly fishing is like the guys in A River Runs Through It where you have a really long pole and whip the line around all over the place. The line floats on top of the water except for a small piece at the end tied to the lure.

Spincast is the basic casting rods. There are two different styles of spincast reels. There's the traditional enclosed reel with the thumb button on the back. When you hold the rod, the reel is on top.

There's also an open-faced (the line is exposed) spincast reel. On those, you flip a lever over and pin the line down with your finger until you're ready to cast. When you hold the rod, the reel is underneath.

Super ultralight means a very thin pole that bends very easily, and it's typically paired with very light, thin fishing line. Trout have very good eyesight & often live in clear water. So, they can see the line if you use line that is too thick. The downside of the thin line is it breaks easily. But, you get more bites. It's a trade off.

I did a lot of offshore fishing when I lived in Fort Lauderdale, but not so much now. I loved it. We always caught something. My favorites were wahoo, pompano, and mahi. I caught a sailfish once, plus lots of jacks and kings. We always cut some “sashimi” to eat on the boat then filleted the rest back on shore. There was usually beer involved as well.

I actually used to fish occasionally. We'd fish close to Galveston and I just loved redfish. With fish being so expensive I wish that someone still fished.

Fly fishing is like the guys in A River Runs Through It where you have a really long pole and whip the line around all over the place. The line floats on top of the water except for a small piece at the end tied to the lure.

Spincast is the basic casting rods. There are two different styles of spincast reels. There's the traditional enclosed reel with the thumb button on the back. When you hold the rod, the reel is on top.

There's also an open-faced (the line is exposed) spincast reel. On those, you flip a lever over and pin the line down with your finger until you're ready to cast. When you hold the rod, the reel is underneath.

Super ultralight means a very thin pole that bends very easily, and it's typically paired with very light, thin fishing line. Trout have very good eyesight & often live in clear water. So, they can see the line if you use line that is too thick. The downside of the thin line is it breaks easily. But, you get more bites. It's a trade off.

Gumbo, that second reel type you describe with the lever (bail) and open face is more commonly known as a spinning reel. The spincast reel is the enclosed reel with the huge thumb button. 99% of all beginner children rod and reel combos are spincast reels. The rods for each are slightly different too, as the spinning rods are basically a straight rod in one or 2 pieces, while spincast rods have a little hook on the end that you can wrap your index finger around.

A third reel type is the baitcasting reel, which is openfaced but sits above the rod (like spincast) in a horizontal position. A lot of bass fishermen like to use baitcasting reels.

I love fishing. So do the kids. My girls each have their own tackle box and rod and we love to go. DH and I will go on "fishing dates" and go catfishing at night along the banks of the river or lake. Nothing more peaceful or romantic than that to me.

I love fishing. So do the kids. My girls each have their own tackle box and rod and we love to go. DH and I will go on "fishing dates" and go catfishing at night along the banks of the river or lake. Nothing more peaceful or romantic than that to me.
LOVE going for catties at night! So peaceful, especially if you have friends, a fire and some drinks to keep you company while waiting for the whiskered ones to slam the heck out of your bait. Love seeing the mini glow stick at the rod tip start to shake, and the tiny bell I would hang from the line would start to jingle!

Hmm, I guess it's only peaceful when the catfish AREN'T biting.

Gumbo, that second reel type you describe with the lever (bail) and open face is more commonly known as a spinning reel. The spincast reel is the enclosed reel with the huge thumb button. 99% of all beginner children rod and reel combos are spincast reels. The rods for each are slightly different too, as the spinning rods are basically a straight rod in one or 2 pieces, while spincast rods have a little hook on the end that you can wrap your index finger around.

A third reel type is the baitcasting reel, which is openfaced but sits above the rod (like spincast) in a horizontal position. A lot of bass fishermen like to use baitcasting reels.

I use all open face Shimanos. My larger ones have a trigger that flips the bail for you (and holds the line). That one I use for larger fish or big water trout. In streams, strictly the micro stuff. Lures are all 1/32 ounce or smaller.

I have a pond on my property that I stocked with tilapia, Bass, and Catfish that allows me to fish a couple times a week in.
It’s nice after a long day to just walk out back and cast a line as a way to unwind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter