Good Neighbor hotels to get 60-day FP booking! Update: AND EMH!

Not accounting for additional hotels in the 60 day window; when Star Wars and Toy Story are online won't there be more overall fastpasses available? In theory, might it be easier to get flight of Passage at 60 days out?
I'm not going to lie, I really liked the Disneyland same day maxpass setup after using it last week. I thought it worked pretty slick. I wonder what percentage of fastpasses booked at 60 days go UN-redeemed?

This is really strange to me. I have been one of those on the kick of "I'm probably done staying on property because the prices are so extreme and I can get nicer rooms for half the price off site." One of the biggest draw backs previously was the lack of quality transportation to and from the parks. Those hotel Blvd. hotels solved that. Really the only 2 thing left that makes on site worth it at all are the Magic Express (though I don't fly) and the 60 day window. You can pretty easily justify staying offsite without the Magic Express by taking an uber or renting a car and still being under the cost of a moderate, but now you are going to get rid of the other big perk? Not sure how I'm going to justify staying onsite anymore.

Same here.

It seems maybe they needed an edge to compete with other offsite properties - Swan Dolphin being one - and/or they will raise their rates to be competitive with the value resorts. I'm also assuming they're getting ready for what they expect to be huge demand for the three new major launches over the next five years: Toy Story, Star Wars and the Epcot/MK ride additions.

It's a big game changer for us...depending on the final decision and rules around this, we'll likely never stay onsite again. The primary reason we do it are 60 day FP+ and pools, walking access. But these neighbor resorts have great accommodations. Also, I'm wondering if it will be extended to 4Seasons and Waldorf...at that point, no reason to stay onsite since those two hotels are so much nicer than anything onsite. This all assumes these neighbor resorts don't raise their rates to onsite levels...

Not accounting for additional hotels in the 60 day window; when Star Wars and Toy Story are online won't there be more overall fastpasses available? In theory, might it be easier to get flight of Passage at 60 days out?
I'm not going to lie, I really liked the Disneyland same day maxpass setup after using it last week. I thought it worked pretty slick. I wonder what percentage of fastpasses booked at 60 days go UN-redeemed?
There has been no credible evidence that Disney routinely holds back blocks of FPs. There were some FoP held back for a limited period of time, but I that has more to do with being cautious up front about issuing too many on a new attraction that might go down. And some show up when hours are added. But as routine business? Aren't they all out there at 60 days already?

I like this move (but I will probably be in the minority on this site). I have stayed both on and offsite, and I think this move is "fairer" to those who can't afford to stay on Disney property or those who are not able to plan vacations 6+ months in advance. I think in Disney's mind it will encourage people to take more frequent short trips in slow seasons rather than less frequent long, extended stays. The hotel price increases on-property have been pretty drastic in the last few years even at the value resorts and I think it keeps off-siters from feeling like second class guests. Everyone should be able to enjoy Disney's new and popular attractions.

Yeah I'm not even concerned about the "fairness" of it but it seems like a good move for the consumer. It might make things harder for some certain rides but overall I think it's a great way to add choices for people.

I think if it was a fee per party rather than per person I would be a bigger fan. As we are a family of 5, having to pay $50/day extra is a bit much

There has been no credible evidence that Disney routinely holds back blocks of FPs. There were some FoP held back for a limited period of time, but I that has more to do with being cautious up front about issuing too many on a new attraction that might go down. And some show up when hours are added. But as routine business? Aren't they all out there at 60 days already?
I think you have missed my point.
When star wars and toy story open, there will be additional attractions added to the fastpass inventory. So in theory, if fastpass eligible attendance is static, then the pool is greater. So in theory if star wars is the new hot rides, then flight of passage should be easier to acquire. Then very likely, something is star wars is tough to get.

I think if it was a fee per party rather than per person I would be a bigger fan. As we are a family of 5, having to pay $50/day extra is a bit much
I don't disagree on cost.....it's more of a commentary of needing to plan 60 days out, versus same day.
Same day booking, with selection time outs seems a bit more equitable in my opinion.

We moved offsite for the first time in January and saved enough money by moving offsite that we were able to return in September. I'm a bit stumped by this move as really, there are fewer and fewer reasons to stay onsite.

My guess is that they either think that when Star Wars opens that onsite hotels won't be able to meet demand or (and more likely) I wonder if they are trying to clean up the onsite hotel reservations. I would not be shocked if people staying offsite either book a throwaway room for 1 night to get FP access or book a room, get the FP, then cancel the room inside 30 days, leaving their FP in place. (Room only can be cancelled with no penalty up to 5 days before arrival, I think). I actually think that may be a bigger problem. It also prevents others from booking. There have been several times the past couple of years when I have looked and gotten the error that nothing was available for that date. Adjust the date by a day or 2 and suddenly things pop up. Pushing this out to neighbor hotels may allow more "real" bookings onsite.

When star wars and toy story open, there will be additional attractions added to the fastpass inventory. So in theory, if fastpass eligible attendance is static, then the pool is greater. So in theory if star wars is the new hot rides, then flight of passage should be easier to acquire. Then very likely, something is star wars is tough to get.
OK, I see your point. Sorry I missed it.

That's true somewhat. But I'm sure people staying onsite would have loved to have even more of an advantage in booking from that enlarged pool. And honestly, all that SWL or TSL will make easier to book will be attractions in DHS. RnR should be a much easier get at that point. But people will likely still be going to AK and wanting FPs for the new stuff there as well.

maybe, though they are in different parks so both Flight of Passage and the Star Wars attractions would be hot FPs to get ... so I guess theoretically if you went right at 6am EST to book FoP while others are doing Star Wars first, then yeah, slightly higher chance, but I don't think it would impact things much. Flight of Passage being online hasn't made 7 Dwarf Mine Train FP super easy to get

I don't disagree on cost.....it's more of a commentary of needing to plan 60 days out, versus same day.
Same day booking, with selection time outs seems a bit more equitable in my opinion.

ok, yeah, that I can see - and the system does seem to work pretty well

I like being able to book in advance as I would rather stress ahead of time, then know what we have (or don't have) and plan the day around that rather than not know until day of and stress about that and have to adjust, etc. ... but I know it stinks for many AP holders and makes it hard to have short notice trips

I’m not really a fan of this, at all. When Magic Hours were knocked back from 3 hours to 2, the argument for staying onsite was the 60 day Fast Pass window. Now that others are going to be offered it also, we’re starting to see less and less perks for the inflated price we’re paying for staying onsite. We already had a hard time getting a FP for Pandora at 7am on our 60 day park for a quick trip in December.

Not cool Disney, not cool.

having not stayed there just curious how it was solved by those hotels? Just better shuttles or that you can get to Springs easy and then take Disney transportation from there? Or just now Uber?

They have their own buses (basically a bus runs to 3-4 of the hotels on that loop) that run every 30 minutes to each park. Drop off is right where the Disney bus drop off is. I remember back in the day it was a drop you off in the morning and pick you up at night. Just much more efficient and can handle many more people.

Yeah I'm not even concerned about the "fairness" of it but it seems like a good move for the consumer. It might make things harder for some certain rides but overall I think it's a great way to add choices for people.
I agree with you, but I think the issue for some people is that there is a love staying on site even at the high cost, and the FP+ helps justify the cost either pragmatically or behaviorally. It feels like the rug is being pulled out...at least for me... I'm in that camp in that I do like the "feeling" of onsite, but definitely not at the high extra cost. now that I can stay offsite and get 60day. It will be of little interest to us to stay onsite given the quality of the neighbor hotels assuming we don't see major rate increases.

I agree with you, but I think the issue for some people is that there is a love staying on site even at the high cost, and the FP+ helps justify the cost either pragmatically or behaviorally. It feels like the rug is being pulled out...at least for me... I'm in that camp in that I do like the "feeling" of onsite, but definitely not at the high extra cost. now that I can stay offsite and get 60day. It will be of little interest to us to stay onsite given the quality of the neighbor hotels assuming we don't see major rate increases.

I'm one of those people as well, DVC owner on top of that. So, in one sense yeah it's lowered that value some. But if it saves people money, especially bigger families, and enhances their vacation then hey that's great for them. If the cost is too high, people have to stop justifying it and maybe this helps with the options.

They have their own buses (basically a bus runs to 3-4 of the hotels on that loop) that run every 30 minutes to each park. Drop off is right where the Disney bus drop off is. I remember back in the day it was a drop you off in the morning and pick you up at night. Just much more efficient and can handle many more people.

thanks - just wondering what it is ... but if they are consistently every 30 mins that is just as good (or better in some cases) as the Disney busses

I'm one of those people as well, DVC owner on top of that. So, in one sense yeah it's lowered that value some. But if it saves people money, especially bigger families, and enhances their vacation then hey that's great for them. If the cost is too high, people have to stop justifying it and maybe this helps with the options.

I am definitely interested to see the final list of hotels and then what types of rooms they have. As a family of 5 it is hard to find on property rooms that fit us at anything resembling reasonable prices

I've never stayed at any of the Disney Springs area hotels, but are they really that much cheaper than Pop? At any rate, opening it up to so many people devalues the "perk" way too much IMO. I agree that everyone should have a chance to experience the new rides. But there is only so much capacity, and I'd rather have a proven method for obtaining fastpasses than a lottery system or a crap shoot. Disney is going to do what is best for them, and hopefully than means taking guest satisfaction into account so I'll wait and see what the full plan is here before I make any judgment. But to your point, I'd like for the system to be fair to everyone. I don't think a system where AP holders have zero chance of getting FP for the new rides is very fair.

So, last time I stayed out there, Hilton Buena Vista was $109 (but added I believe $30 for resort fee), Pop was running around $140, POR was over $200. The room was 100+ sq ft bigger, with a much better pool and a gym.

Now, that said, something really interesting is that those hotels seem to be a TON more expensive than they previously were. For example, that Hilton is now $80 a night more expensive. Further, I just looked for next week vs. a random January week vs mid May, and rooms along Hotel Blvd are anywhere from $15-$45 MORE expensive in January and mid-May than they are for recent (or any time I can remember recently). I wonder if they are seeing people move off site, and are trying to get those rates raised as well to combat their own price increases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter