Good Neighbor hotels to get 60-day FP booking! Update: AND EMH!

So, last time I stayed out there, Hilton Buena Vista was $109 (but added I believe $30 for resort fee), Pop was running around $140, POR was over $200. The room was 100+ sq ft bigger, with a much better pool and a gym.

Now, that said, something really interesting is that those hotels seem to be a TON more expensive than they previously were. For example, that Hilton is now $80 a night more expensive. Further, I just looked for next week vs. a random January week vs mid May, and rooms along Hotel Blvd are anywhere from $15-$45 MORE expensive in January and mid-May than they are for recent (or any time I can remember recently). I wonder if they are seeing people move off site, and are trying to get those rates raised as well to combat their own price increases.

That's probably a fairly safe assumption, these hotel rates will probably go up. But for the same price as POR you might get a 1 bed or 2 bed suite which is a no-brainer for those interested.

Otherwise, how is Pop worth $200/night?
But ... but ... but ... gondolas! (I'm joking, of course - but, really, will those operate in the rain or inclement weather? It could be like Test Track in the sky...).
When star wars and toy story open, there will be additional attractions added to the fastpass inventory. So in theory, if fastpass eligible attendance is static, then the pool is greater. So in theory if star wars is the new hot rides, then flight of passage should be easier to acquire. Then very likely, something is star wars is tough to get.
Although I understand that no one likes to see a free perk watered down and agree that this change helps put money in Disney's pocket (whether through fees charged to Good Neighbor hotels, or indirectly upselling events, parties, and tours with ride access for those hard-to-get FPs), I'm sort of ambivalent about this for the reason above. The biggest impact is that it makes the hot-ticket FPs harder to get. But that's usually around 3-5 rides at any given time (whatever is newest in each park). Everything else is relatively easy to schedule at 60-days out and I don't see that changing too much even if the pool expands to include more hotels. The concern mostly seems to be about the FP scheduling for those hard-to-get rides - not the FP+ system in general (my anecdotal evidence is that no one raises an eyebrow at their FP plans getting watered down when they're at the park and the CMs start handing out anytime paper FPs like candy every time there's an issue with a ride - of course, those anytime passes conveniently exclude those same hard-to-get rides).

That's probably a fairly safe assumption, these hotel rates will probably go up. But for the same price as POR you might get a 1 bed or 2 bed suite which is a no-brainer for those interested.

Probably pretty close. Keep in mind those are all going to have $20-$30 resort fees per night as well. What it will do for me if this is the trend is push us further from the parks, and closer to other parks we might spend time at instead. Or it may just push us to do more cruises/beaches than Orlando theme parks for vacations. Sure we may be a small minority, but who knows at this point. Can't imagine I would be the only one upset to see those rates skyrocketing as well.

Probably pretty close. Keep in mind those are all going to have $20-$30 resort fees per night as well. What it will do for me if this is the trend is push us further from the parks, and closer to other parks we might spend time at instead. Or it may just push us to do more cruises/beaches than Orlando theme parks for vacations. Sure we may be a small minority, but who knows at this point. Can't imagine I would be the only one upset to see those rates skyrocketing as well.
I'm kind of in this boat too...I've been a totally die-hard Disney fan for a lot of years - can't count the number of trips anymore.

But the older I get, the less I want to fight those huge crowds. And between the lower quality of the food, the diminishing park hours, fewer and fewer perks for onsite guest, less attention to to making each part Magical, and ever increasing prices, I'm starting to think that there really might be other places to visit in this world, and spend money, in the years I have left...

Heresy for that thought to even go through my head, but it has drifted in a few times lately.

If this rolls out and it turns out that I can stay off site cheaper, that's it. I'm off site. I can't believe that, but this is the last thing that was keeping me on site, since we routinely travel with 6 in our party, on site is $$$. I'm really perplexed at this move.

Although I understand that no one likes to see a free perk watered down and agree that this change helps put money in Disney's pocket (whether through fees charged to Good Neighbor hotels, or indirectly upselling events, parties, and tours with ride access for those hard-to-get FPs), I'm sort of ambivalent about this for the reason above. The biggest impact is that it makes the hot-ticket FPs harder to get. But that's usually around 3-5 rides at any given time (whatever is newest in each park). Everything else is relatively easy to schedule at 60-days out and I don't see that changing too much even if the pool expands to include more hotels. The concern mostly seems to be about the FP scheduling for those hard-to-get rides - not the FP+ system in general (my anecdotal evidence is that no one raises an eyebrow at their FP plans getting watered down when they're at the park and the CMs start handing out anytime paper FPs like candy every time there's an issue with a ride - of course, those anytime passes conveniently exclude those same hard-to-get rides).

I think that is the biggest thing - and not even 3-5 maybe even less than that ... with it really being just Flight of Passage right now (and I guess Frozen and 7DMT still to a lesser degree)

So if the perception is you have a significantly greater chance of getting FP for Flight of Passage if you stay on site, there is value to that. (and, going forward, the Toy Story and Star Wars attractions) ... if that % reduces or goes away vs these off site/good neighbor hotels, then I think that is a big perk that goes away

I feel like this probably has to do with the fact that there’s times of the year where availability at their resorts is hard to come by. If some people can’t stay onsite, they won’t go at all, so they’re probably trying to combat that.

Better to extend a small benefit to get people into the park instead of having them stay home.

Posted on main thread, but better here...

You are all assuming the Star Wars rides will get FP access...I'm betting none of the Star Wars attractions will have FP and it will be expensive tours or breakfast mornings/dessert evenings or book that $1K/night hotel or wait your butt in line...so no loss to expanding FP access to other hotels b/c the desired rides will not get it anyway...

You are all assuming the Star Wars rides will get FP access...I'm betting none of the Star Wars attractions will have FP and it will be expensive tours or breakfast mornings/dessert evenings or book that $1K/night hotel or wait your butt in line...so no loss to expanding FP access to other hotels b/c the desired rides will not get it anyway...
I can’t see it being only tours and such. There will be ways to get in without that. Booking expensive packages to get access will definitely happen though.

I expect that there will be a separate price for Star Wars...I think it's inevitable...I just hope it's a flat pay to play and not some stupid "package"

First dogs allowed in rooms and NO ADVANCE NOTICE.

Now 60 days FP+ for non-disney hotels.

*** (pardon my french)

How do any of these 2 recent additions help attract people to Disney. On the dog front sure it will entice some people to come (locals) and will also send many more away who want no part of that on their vacation) BAD BUSINESS

Now giving away a PERK to non-disney hotels drives people away from Disney Resorts (especially the Values) since that is most likely who they will lose in this. another BAD BUSINESS MODEL

Who the hell came up with these 2 ideas? Maybe Universal has a mole at Disney and is selling them on these terrible ideas.

This going to be my last trip to Disney for a LONG LONG TIME.

Think my next vacation will be Grand Cayman or Ireland.

First dogs allowed in rooms and NO ADVANCE NOTICE.

Now 60 days FP+ for non-disney hotels.

*** (pardon my french)

How do any of these 2 recent additions help attract people to Disney. On the dog front sure it will entice some people to come (locals) and will also send many more away who want no part of that on their vacation) BAD BUSINESS

Now giving away a PERK to non-disney hotels drives people away from Disney Resorts (especially the Values) since that is most likely who they will lose in this. another BAD BUSINESS MODEL

Who the hell came up with these 2 ideas? Maybe Universal has a mole at Disney and is selling them on these terrible ideas.

This going to be my last trip to Disney for a LONG LONG TIME.

Think my next vacation will be Grand Cayman or Ireland.

No offense...but the prices for disney hotels are raising to a level where nobody will honestly care if there is fastpass...they'll be burning money no matter what and that is a different mentality altogether...

If anyone is booking on property hotels thinking they are getting "value" with things like fastpass for what they spend?, they're delusional. That barrier was crossed. Especially moderates...that's laughable.

I feel like this probably has to do with the fact that there’s times of the year where availability at their resorts is hard to come by. If some people can’t stay onsite, they won’t go at all, so they’re probably trying to combat that.

Better to extend a small benefit to get people into the park instead of having them stay home.

hmmm, that is an interesting flip side ... are their people that hear from friends or whatever that you have to stay on site to get access to FP for many rides and then they see the prices and figure, nope, not gonna do it

But now they can stay off site (either using hotel chain points or at least earning points) and can still get access and now they will go?

Could be a shrewd move. I'm not the first to mention it in the thread, but I'm certain, that Disney is not giving this perk for free to their good neighbor hotels. There are few angles.
-Straight cash grab from the neighbor hotels, charge them for the access. Money in Disney's pocket. Side benefit, more people in Springs area to support those high rent shops. This is bound to raise the rates in those hotels, making disney rates a little more attractive in the market.
-Perhaps the 60 deal is not the complete picture, perhaps after the hotels buy in, money is in their pocket, they then offer 61+ days for disney properties. Perhaps an ala carte option to not buy into the fastpass option for disney guests in exchange for another valuable perk or exclusive attraction specific fastpasses.
-Precursor to a revamp of the fastpass process in florida
-Maybe the goal is to get every visitor on the system. More on the system means more data to mine. Data to serve them better, but also make things more efficient which can be good for the company as well as guest.
-Somebody let an intern call the shots for the day.
-Anything else?

I think that is the biggest thing - and not even 3-5 maybe even less than that ... with it really being just Flight of Passage right now (and I guess Frozen and 7DMT still to a lesser degree)

So if the perception is you have a significantly greater chance of getting FP for Flight of Passage if you stay on site, there is value to that. (and, going forward, the Toy Story and Star Wars attractions) ... if that % reduces or goes away vs these off site/good neighbor hotels, then I think that is a big perk that goes away
No disagreement from me that there is perceived value in FPs for hard-to-get rides (and thus perceived value in an advance system if that increases your odds). If there wasn't value, very few souls would be buying Ultimate Night of Adventure tours (FoP), EMM (7DMT), and FEA dessert parties. But that's also the thing - the value of the current FP+ advance window already is questionable if you're only doing it for those rides - there's no guarantee on those even now (better chances, sure, but still not 100%) and probably shouldn't be a deciding factor in on-site/off-site if your shot at those is the only reason. Increasing the pool won't make it easier for the top rides, but they're already hard to get as it is. But value is subjective - I wouldn't pay for EMM or the AK tour, but others do and seem to be happy with that option. Same for staying on-site for the FP 60-day window.

Curious, too, what happens with SW:GE - of course, I have no proof but believe that FoP FPs have been throttled to manage the stand-by line and spread guests out (no secret that FPs are part of queue management across parks). Won't surprise me in the least if FPs are extremely rare or nonexistent for SW:GE for some time after opening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!