Good news about Buzz!

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
I’m at the park now and the camera on Buzz isn’t working so absolutely no pics are coming through. The good news, however, is that a CM just told me that engineers are in the midst of fixing “everything” on the ride. Hopefully that means that scores will work better soon. As many of you know, they’ve been fraught with problems for the past two years or so.

Even though my pic didn’t come through, my score still did and I was able to claim it. Just had to search for it.

This is what all guests see.
64FB3C53-CA8E-4E9E-B1EB-EDBE252DB3CF.jpeg65438D1F-5FC7-4E8B-BF5F-6B19D74003D3.jpeg

Last edited:
What were the problems with the ride that you mentioned?
Scoring has been a problem for at least two years. Often when you exit the ride and check you’re score at the photo kiosk, there will be a pic but no score, an incorrect score or simply no pic. Also, if you exceed approx 2,096,000, your score will reset and you’ll lose everything. It’s happened to me countless times. I don’t think that will ever be corrected, though. Someone at Disney told me that was intentional (why, Walt only knows). I’ll be back here on Sunday and will update this thread then (presuming that all the repairs are complete).

Oh I will have to keep my eye out for that. I've only been on a handful of times since moving to Ca less than a year ago. :)

Scoring has been a problem for at least two years. Often when you exit the ride and check you’re score at the photo kiosk, there will be a pic but no score, an incorrect score or simply no pic. Also, if you exceed approx 2,096,000, your score will reset and you’ll lose everything. It’s happened to me countless times. I don’t think that will ever be corrected, though. Someone at Disney told me that was intentional (why, Walt only knows). I’ll be back here on Sunday and will update this thread then (presuming that all the repairs are complete).

I'm sure it wasn't intentional in the sense that the number was selected, but it likely has to do with the amount of computer memory allocated to the scoring system. It just maxes out there, and then the computer flips over to zero. It's like "flipping the score" on a Galaga arcade game. The computer doesn't really know anything beyond the max number. In old arcade games it was either zero it out or glitch completely, ending the game (known as a kill screen). Of course, with the computing power available these days it's barely necessary, but it's still the likely cause. They may have never though anyone would score that high, but they never met you! ;)

I'm glad this is being fixed. I know how important it is to you. I like the ride but can't hit anything!

I'm sure it wasn't intentional in the sense that the number was selected, but it likely has to do with the amount of computer memory allocated to the scoring system ;)

Of course that occurred to me. However, up until about two years ago, scores were not capped. When I spoke with a rep from Guest Experiences a few months ago, he explained that the game was always meant to reset at 2,096,000 (he didn't know why) and rather than it being broken, it now works as it was meant to (or so he said) .

Of course that occurred to me. However, up until about two years ago, scores were not capped. When I spoke with a rep from Guest Experiences a few months ago, he explained that the game was always meant to reset at 2,096,000 (he didn't know why) and rather than it being broken, it now works as it was meant to (or so he said) .

Probably just an excuse for a change to the code that caused it. That number is too weird to be arbitrary.

Probably just an excuse for a change to the code that caused it. That number is too weird to be arbitrary.
Agreed. I think their reason is along the lines that they don’t want people to score, say, 18,000, feel they’ve done well and then see another guest with a score of 3,880,900.

I had a gun crap out on my a couple days ago when i rode it. I had 78,300 after the first couple rooms (only triangles and diamonds) but then could not get anything after that. I could see my light hitting targets and registering on the gun (I assume the blue light on the back of the gun lights up when a hit is made) but my score wouldn't increase. I ended with 78,400. I didn't bother waiting to check the photo.

I got my highest score ever on Saturday and was bummed the photo didn't work so I could prove it to my DH! LOL. I was riding with my son. I got 325,000. I was stoked!

I wish this meant the camera itself was getting upgraded!!
It might mean that. There wasn't any flash on Wednesday so maybe that's what they're (finally) doing. The camera in place now is probably the original camera from 2005.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!