Good restaurants near California Science Center and the cities of Bakersfield and Lancaster?

Discussion in 'California & the West' started by isabellea, Jan 24, 2018.

1. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

El Parian is famous for wonderful food! Regional, authentic ethnic food is amazing in southern California! Take advantage of the opportunity to try some new things. You won't regret it!

isabellea likes this.
  2. isabellea

isabellea Combining beach and Disney!

I added El Parian on my list of potential places to eat after our visit at California Science Center. I will let DH decide where to eat since that portion of the trip is more for him (vs DLR portion is more for me) and he's a more adventurous eater than me.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Purrkins

Purrkins Mouseketeer

At one point the LA Weekly called the birria at El Parian the best dish in Los Angeles. It's pretty amazing and my son can eat his weight.

Carnitas is fried pork butt and carne asada is simply grilled marinated meat. Both are very good. Try some Mexican food in LA if you can. Just look for a cheap looking place with a line.

We actually have a dish that's the cousin of poutine that you should seek out at any quick taco shop in Southern CA, Carne Asada Fries. A mound of french fries covered in crema (thin rich sour cream), cheese, beans, salsa, and diced grilled meat. Best eaten once a year and shared with friends after a day of walking 10 or 15 miles. Not to be confused with the Australian version which is known as a Halal Snack Pack which are fries covered in yogurt sauce and gyro meat...

isabellea likes this.
  5. oakleycat

oakleycat DIS Veteran

If you're coming to LA and are not familiar with real Mexican food you must try it! Get the carnitas and carne asada, try the birria, lengua, tripas, etc. if you (or your husband) is feeling adventurous. Birria is definitely a love it or hate it thing and I'm in the hate group (and I'm Mexican and my grandfather makes an apparently amazing birria).

isabellea likes this.
  6. dotfurio

dotfurio DIS Veteran

Noriega's is truly communal - everyone sits at one long table and you share dishes with strangers. The serve one main entree at the meal, and there is one seating time. It's an interesting experience. http://www.noriegahotel.com/

Woolgrowers is my husband's favorite Basque place. They do not serve communal with strangers style. You'll be seated at your own table and served dishes family style, as they do at other local Basque restaurants. Barbara Streisand and James Brolin have dined here more than once. http://woolgrowers.net/

Both of these restaurants are away from the freeways and honestly in a not so great part of town, so I usually don't recommend them to people passing through. If you are feeling adventurous, though, give one of them a try.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    isabellea likes this.
  7. bcla

bcla DIS Veteran

Isn't the taco truck scene around LA pretty good? And if you're mentioning adventurous, I've had tripe and tongue. I haven't tried cabeza, and I've only heard of but haven't seen brain tacos.

8. WebmasterMaryJo

WebmasterMaryJo Techarita Staff Member Administrator

Besides Phillipe's, which is a great recommendation, Olvera Street with its Mexican restaurants is another good choice. My friend and I went there after visiting the Science Center, but instead of the restaurant we got the delicious taquitos from Cielito Lindo (so good).

isabellea likes this.
  9. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

If you do visit Olvera Street, look for the churro guy. The churros there are different from the ones at DLR. A totally delicious experiment to compare the two!

isabellea likes this.
  10. Purrkins

Purrkins Mouseketeer

Cabeza is usually only the beef cheek and a little misleading as one expects lengue (tongue), ojo (eye) and sesos (brain) when ordering a "head" taco. But cheek meat is the best meat - tender, a bit fatty, reminds me of a nicely braised brisket or a super tender pot roast.

oakleycat likes this.