goodie basket for my friend having surgery, any ideas?

wdw4us

DIS Veteran
My friend Karen is having a mastectomy on Friday. She’s my fellow Disney Chick who has breast cancer. I’m getting a gift basket together from all of us here at work so she’ll have something to do or enjoy while she’s out.

Any suggestions on what I can include. She’s in for a long haul. Chemo and radiation to follow the surgery so I’m making her a snuggle quilt but the basket will be from all of us.

Some of my ideas

a book
a magazine
some mints
she loves cheese-its
video rentals
a game

anyone else have an idea?

She likes to garden and home decorate. Music – the blues

BTW, we had to postpone our October trip so we're all pretty sad about that. She thought we'd go without her -- as if?! We're just waiting till she's done with all that yucky stuff.

Thanks for any responses.

denise

We had someone out for a similar reason last year. Some things we did... For the holidays that came up we "took care" of holiday stuff for her. We bought candy and decorations for Halloween, baked for Thanksgiving, and each bought a new ornament for a tree we got her for Christmas. We sent notes to her regularly, maybe in a gift basket you could include some writing supplies for responses, and help keep in touch and in the loop of goings on. Also, prepaid phone cards are neat as they give a chance to call out of town friends/family to chat. Maybe some aromatherapy stuff, like candles?

a small pillow or stuffed animal (very soft one) that she can hold to the incision when she coughs would be helpful. A nice picture frame with a picture of all of you in it. Some favorite music with a player and earphones. A journal that she could write her thoughts in.

You are wonderful friends. It will mean the most if you just spend time with her.

How about some hand lotion and a cheesy tabloid to make her laugh. Maybe you could also order the free Disney vacation video and give it to her to watch while she's undergoing treatment. Prayers on the way for Karen!

A friend of mine did this for me this past spring, when I had surgery. A couple of the things in it that I really appreciated, that haven't been mentioned:

linen spray (like Fabreeze, only it had a prettier scent) I sprayed it on my sheets in between changing them and even with laying in the bed all day, it really made them seem fresher

A plastic mug with lid. Like the WDW mugs....this was great for having something to drink at my bedside at all times, kept spills and dribbles to a minimum.

You mentioned books and magazines. I really liked doing puzzle magazines when I was in the hospital for a long time. And I cross-stitched when I felt well.

An insulated mug to keep a drink cold for a long time - that way she won't have to make a lot of trips to the kitchen

A breast cancer teddy bear - mine stayed with me in the hospital and sat by my chair for days after I came home

Good smelling lotion and after bath spray

A good book

A pretty little pillow that fits under your arm really helps after the surgery

A yummy candle

Some of my friends gave me good crockpot recipes, to help me fix easy meals after I was up and around but still recovering

A pink ribbon pin

A relaxing CD

What a good friend you are. Anything that will remind her that you are thnking of her will help!

Well I went to the store and found a Maxine book so I bought that. They also had a Beanie Bear dressed as a bride. Yup, she got married over the weekend. Can't wait to see what the everyone brings in.

A lot of great suggestions here and I know some people will give me money rather than shop, so I'll go buy some of these items.

thanks a lot.

denise

This might sound strange, but one of my mothers friends mother was going through radiation treatments that left some burns. At the time her Dr. recomended she get an aloe plant to use for the burns. I had what was jokingly refered to at the time an aloe farm growing, so I gave her a couple of the plants. Apparently they helped a great deal. Hopefully your friend won't need one, but it might be nice to stick in the basket just in case.

What great ideas,,,and great friends. I just wish that if I was in her position, I would have friends that would be so thoughtful.

What great friends you are to her. She is so lucky to have you all as friends. In addition to the many things already mentioned, I'd suggest a nice robe. It sounds odd but there were days when my mom was on chemo and she just wasn't up to getting dressed. You know she felt comfortable in her "old grubbies" but the robe came in handy on those days where she was not feeling too hot, but family or friends came to visit. It was an easy way for her to "get dressed" when people came over. My cousin bought her a beautiful robe that she used often and I know she loved it and felt more comfortable in it around others than some other things she could be wearing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter