Goody!! Another wedding present thread...

My mom wrote down what every relative gave me (so she didn’t give less to their kids). Maybe an old Irish Catholic thing? She grew up poor, most of my dads family were pretty well off.

But I doubt your mother discussed amounts given with others.

It would be totally a horse of a different color IMO for a mother of a bride to mention something such as, my daughter mjkacmom received the most gorgeous lace tablecloth as a wedding gift, so and so brought it back from Belgium or her godmother handcrocheted the lace. That's more a conversation piece and I don't find that gauche or rude.

My mom wrote down what every relative gave me (so she didn’t give less to their kids). Maybe an old Irish Catholic thing? She grew up poor, most of my dads family were pretty well off.

I find that strange. I can't even imagine having that conversation with my mom but it would be shut down quickly.

Mom: Can you tell me what gifts you got from relatives so I can write it down?
Me: No.

I find that strange. I can't even imagine having that conversation with my mom but it would be shut down quickly.

Mom: Can you tell me what gifts you got from relatives so I can write it down?
Me: No.
Actually my parents opened up all of our cards, wrote the amount on them, and deposited the checks while we were on our honeymoon. I considered my mom one of my best friends (although I’d never tell any of my friends who gave me what, no need). She basically wanted a figure from her sister and my dad’s siblings. She didn’t share the info with anyone.

Actually my parents opened up all of our cards, wrote the amount on them, and deposited the checks while we were on our honeymoon. I considered my mom one of my best friends (although I’d never tell any of my friends who gave me what, no need). She basically wanted a figure from her sister and my dad’s siblings. She didn’t share the info with anyone.
But even then, your mom knew how much gifts to you were---not how much gifts to others from the same people were to be able to compare and think that certain weddding couples in some income brackets were receiving more or less. Right?

But even then, your mom knew how much gifts to you were---not how much gifts to others from the same people were to be able to compare and think that certain weddding couples in some income brackets were receiving more or less. Right?
Lol I had meant and thought I was replying to the poster who said how would the brides mother even know what amounts were gifted, I just looked back and realized I quoted the wrong post.

Yeah, there hasn't been a wedding gift thread in a hot minute so here I am regretting this as I type it lol

If you know the couple getting married or the family hosting the wedding is wealthy, does that change your wedding gift amount? We are going to another wedding this weekend and the family hosting is quite wealthy and the wedding couple is comfortable off not hurting and will inherit much. Does all this influence the wedding gift?

We went to the bride's sister's wedding this past summer so same wealthy family and the wedding couple are doctors in Beverly Hills. I was interested to see or hear that apparently people weren't as "generous" in their gifts from that wedding according to the mother of the bride.

Just bring a can of corn instead of eating their stuff and then the cover your plate rule dictates you don't have to give them anything.

It's optional, but forget all that steak and lobster the bride's mother bought. What they really want is a can of corn.

Not sure I've ever been to the kind of formal affair where people just indulge in cans of corn because they can. I'm more familiar with the more modest soirees where you feel swanky when they serve you your chicken and green beans at your seat instead of waiting for your table to be called to line up at the buffet table and fill your own plate.

Not sure I've ever been to the kind of formal affair where people just indulge in cans of corn because they can. I'm more familiar with the more modest soirees where you feel swanky when they serve you your chicken and green beans at your seat instead of waiting for your table to be called to line up at the buffet table and fill your own plate.

Just wait until you get the creme de la creme. Creamed corn. But as you know, those are so exclusive, all I can do is Dis theory craft on that one.

:thumbsup2 Sounds like it's time to spin-off a thread about what type of wedding banquet is superior: plated or buffet!?! The CB hasn't contended over that one for months. ;)

Just wait until you get the creme de la creme. Creamed corn. But as you know, those are so exclusive, all I can do is Dis theory craft on that one.

Well I certainly don't run in those circles, so I wouldn't begin to know.

ETA Someone just asked me what I was laughing about at my desk and when I explained they reminded me that I really am not swanky enough for those circles because I forgot that it's not green beans, anybody who's anybody knows it's haricots verts!

Well I certainly don't run in those circles, so I wouldn't begin to know.

ETA Someone just asked me what I was laughing about at my desk and when I explained they reminded me that I really am not swanky enough for those circles because I forgot that it's not green beans, anybody who's anybody knows it's haricots verts!

We did French at our wedding too. I had the rent a car company put an S on the side of our car. Everyone at our wedding remembers saying look at their awesome s car go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter