GOOF TROOP! WDW Marathon Weekend 2020 ... finshed 3/8. Comments welcome!

lhermiston

Beer-powered running machine
*taps mic*

This thing on?

*tap tap*

Oh, you can hear me? Good. Hey there and welcome to my trip report. My name is Lee and I'll be your trip guide. This trip report will cover my solo trip to Walt Disney World from Jan. 9-14, 2020. As you might have gathered from the title, I was down in Florida to participate in Marathon Weekend.

First, a little bit about me ...

PhotoPass_Visiting_WDWRUNDISNEY_8306374431 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

Oh hey, there I am. I'm a father to three girls, a journalist based in Iowa, amateur photographer, cheap beer fan and lifelong Disney fan. This was my seventh Disney trip lifetime and fifth in the last 7 or 8 years. Three of those trips were for Marathon Weekend. My first marathon was MW 2017 and in 2019 I completed the Dopey Challenge.

I've been on the Disboards for several years, starting off in the photography board before discovering the running threads and respective threads for Marathon Weekend. I also post weekly Sundays are for Disney questions, so if you've answered one of those before, that's me.

Here's another (older) photo just to keep things interesting and visual.

DSC_7784 - Copy by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

My trip included flying from Cedar Rapids, Iowa to Orlando on Jan. 9 and staying at All Star Movies resort. I also signed up for the 10K and the Goofy Challenge - the half and full marathons. Despite this being a "solo" trip, my primary goal for the weekend was to spend a bunch of time with my fellow runDisney all-stars either on the race course or through meetups including Drinking Around the World.

Now, for the title. Since I was doing the Goofy Challenge, in the weeks and months leading up to MW, myself and others implored those on the fence about the races to join the Goof Troop. And while I didn't have specific plans for the 10K and half going into MW, I was definitely planning on running the full with a group of fellow Disboard members I had known online for a while, but hadn't really met or socialized with in person extensively. That marathon group became known as The Goof Troop Roving Road Party (TM).

But also, the Goof Troop theme is a banger:

So, there's your intro. I hope you'll enjoy following along!

Day 1: Journey to the Top of the World

I woke up around 3:15 a.m. Thursday morning at my home in Iowa City in order to make a 5:30 flight out of Cedar Rapids. Let's just breeze through the travel stuff because no one cares. I had two easy flights, made my connections, etc. and made it to All Star Movies around 1 p.m.

My building was in 101 Dalmatians which was super convenient for the trip since I was so close to race transportation and the main building. I believe most of the ASM rooms have been recently renovated. Mine was pretty small, but had just what I needed. The theming at ASM is over the top, but I dig it.

DSC_4360 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

My room wasn't actually ready when I arrived, so I dropped off my backpack and luggage and took my camera bag with me to the expo. It was a nice warm afternoon and I enjoyed grabbing my bibs and race shirts. I also picked up my pre-order race jacket, which I honestly wasn't in love with at first, but it's actually grown on me.

When I got back to ASM, my room still wasn't quite ready so I walked around and took a few pics. I also was recognized by someone from the boards (sorry if you're reading, but I've forgotten your screen name!). We chatted for a bit and then I got the notification my room was ready so we parted ways.

After getting into my room, I took a shower to freshen up and just put my feet up for a bit. I also had a bite to eat.

Around 6 p.m. I got on the Magic Kingdom bus, but I wasn't heading to MK. I had mentioned on the boards wanting to shoot Happily Ever After from outside of the park and @Princess KP invited me to watch from the Top of The World Lounge at Bay Lake Tower with her! So, I was super stoked about that.

DSC_4370 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

Karen was kind and patient enough to talk me through about 8,000 text messages explaining how to get from the bus to Bay Lake Tower. We made it up to Top of the World Lounge a little after 7, had a couple drinks and just chatted a bit. I was in awe and probably came off as a total hayseed, but it was a really nice lounge and the views were INSANE. It was really nice getting to know Karen a little better, too.

Around 7:30-7:40 p.m., I went out to the observation deck to set up my camera and tripod. Karen came out closer to 8. There were a couple of kids crowding my gear and Karen told them to back TF off. It was nice and funny. I discovered this weekend that Karen doesn't mess around, ha ha!

Anyway, I really loved shooting from the observation deck and I was really happy with some of the photos I got:

DSC_4389 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

DSC_4417 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

DSC_4425 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

After fireworks, I had another beer and then Karen and I headed out. Karen, if you're reading this, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Next up ... The 10K and the best dumb idea ever. "Never tell me the odds."

Gonna jump on the bandwagon and follow along, since I know I won't make it down to Marathon Weekend again for another couple of years at least I will have to live vicariously through those that do run.

Day 1: Journey to the Top of the World

I woke up around 3:15 a.m. Thursday morning at my home in Iowa City in order to make a 5:30 flight out of Cedar Rapids. Let's just breeze through the travel stuff because no one cares. I had two easy flights, made my connections, etc. and made it to All Star Movies around 1 p.m.

My building was in 101 Dalmatians which was super convenient for the trip since I was so close to race transportation and the main building. I believe most of the ASM rooms have been recently renovated. Mine was pretty small, but had just what I needed. The theming at ASM is over the top, but I dig it.

DSC_4360 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

My room wasn't actually ready when I arrived, so I dropped off my backpack and luggage and took my camera bag with me to the expo. It was a nice warm afternoon and I enjoyed grabbing my bibs and race shirts. I also picked up my pre-order race jacket, which I honestly wasn't in love with at first, but it's actually grown on me.

When I got back to ASM, my room still wasn't quite ready so I walked around and took a few pics. I also was recognized by someone from the boards (sorry if you're reading, but I've forgotten your screen name!). We chatted for a bit and then I got the notification my room was ready so we parted ways.

After getting into my room, I took a shower to freshen up and just put my feet up for a bit. I also had a bite to eat.

Around 6 p.m. I got on the Magic Kingdom bus, but I wasn't heading to MK. I had mentioned on the boards wanting to shoot Happily Ever After from outside of the park and @Princess KP invited me to watch from the Top of The World Lounge at Bay Lake Tower with her! So, I was super stoked about that.

DSC_4370 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

Karen was kind and patient enough to talk me through about 8,000 text messages explaining how to get from the bus to Bay Lake Tower. We made it up to Top of the World Lounge a little after 7, had a couple drinks and just chatted a bit. I was in awe and probably came off as a total hayseed, but it was a really nice lounge and the views were INSANE. It was really nice getting to know Karen a little better, too.

Around 7:30-7:40 p.m., I went out to the observation deck to set up my camera and tripod. Karen came out closer to 8. There were a couple of kids crowding my gear and Karen told them to back TF off. It was nice and funny. I discovered this weekend that Karen doesn't mess around, ha ha!

Anyway, I really loved shooting from the observation deck and I was really happy with some of the photos I got:

DSC_4389 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

DSC_4417 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

DSC_4425 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

After fireworks, I had another beer and then Karen and I headed out. Karen, if you're reading this, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Next up ... The 10K and the best dumb idea ever. "Never tell me the odds."
You’re welcome! I’m glad you enjoyed the lounge and that you got some good shots of the fireworks.

If you had run the full with us on Sunday, you’d be dreading this part of the trip report

They weren’t THAT bad. Ha ha.

Gonna jump on the bandwagon and follow along, since I know I won't make it down to Marathon Weekend again for another couple of years at least I will have to live vicariously through those that do run.

Welcome!

You’re welcome! I’m glad you enjoyed the lounge and that you got some good shots of the fireworks.

Me too!

I'm here for the dad jokes (I don't live with my dad anymore, so I need someone else to fill the void of dad jokes), Goof Troop adventures, and extreme FOMO!

Firework pictures look amazing. Awesome that @Princess KP got you such a great view (and got rid of the kids) - go Karen!

Hi from another Iowan! Missing Disney something fierce this week so glad to see the recent photos! Excited to hear about the how the runs went in the heat!

I'm here for the dad jokes (I don't live with my dad anymore, so I need someone else to fill the void of dad jokes), Goof Troop adventures, and extreme FOMO!

Firework pictures look amazing. Awesome that @Princess KP got you such a great view (and got rid of the kids) - go Karen!

Thanks for following!

Hi from another Iowan! Missing Disney something fierce this week so glad to see the recent photos! Excited to hear about the how the runs went in the heat!

Welcome! Whereabouts in Iowa?

Welcome! Whereabouts in Iowa?

Just south of Des Moines.
What's your favorite Disney run so far? If done the wine and Dine 10K and that was a good distance for me but a family member loved the Marathon, and its appealing enough to have a reason to hit up Florida in the winter!

Following along..

Great shots of the fireworks; what a fantastic opportunity!

I’m so happy to have met you and the rest of Goof Troop this weekend. The positive vibes you and others pour into DISboards helped convince me to sign up for MW 2020.

Looking forward to the rest of the TR - this is already helping with my Disney withdrawal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter