Goofy 2015 - Am I crazy?

jerivera

Mouseketeer
Hi all!

I'm new to W.I.S.H., and I'm only just now starting to walk/jog/run, with my ultimate goal being that I run Goofy's Race in 2015.

I'm doing it to lose weight and improve health... but lets be real, the real reason is I want a great excuse to go back to Disney, and those medals look awesome!!! :goodvibes Wife already said if I did run a marathon she'd agree to go back! :woohoo:

Which is cool, any motivation that gets me active is good motivation. :)

The question is, is Goofy an insane goal? I'm a pretty (...ok, VERY) sedentary 36 year old guy. Always have been. So this exercise thing is kind of new to me. Still, I've been enjoying my fast walks (to my surprise). Hoping to start jogs soon, but taking it slow (following preliminary training from The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer book).

I obviously don't expect to do great, but would I just essentially wipe myself out for days if I tried to do it? Do you need to be in good shape to do it? It would really suck to be at Disney World, do the race, then be comatose for 5 days after the race in the hotel room!

Thanks! :goodvibes

I'm no coach/trainer, but I would say "it depends." I went from Couch to Dopey in one year, but that doesn't mean anyone could or should. I got really lucky in a lot of ways. I'm writing up my experience and lessons learned for a blog and I'll share that link when it's up.

Given 52 weeks and a goal of "finishing in the upright position" I think you have a fair chance!

I don't think it's insane. I wouldn't do it personally, but I agree with @DoctorK...it depends.

Are you running at all now? If not, you may want to look into something like Couch to 5K to get you started. ETA: oops, just re-read your post and saw you have a book you're following! :goodvibes: And above all other things, before you start running, get fitted for shoes at a running store. Keep these shoes for running only.

Beyond the race weekend itself, one of the the hardest parts of Goofy (and any longer race) is training for it. If you want the weekend to go well, you need to train for it, and that means dedicating yourself to getting your runs in for MONTHS ahead of time. Jeff Galloway's Goofy plan starts in early July. That's a long ways away from Marathon Weekend.

The other tough thing is the mental challenge. I've been running for 4-5 years and really wanted to do Goofy in 2012, but I forced myself to hold off for a year. I wanted to make sure that I could train for and complete a marathon on its own first. Knowing that I successfully trained for and completed a marathon helped me SO much when I was training for Goofy in 2012. It just took a lot of the pressure off to know that I had completed the marathon distance once before.

For me personally, I started with a 5K, then a 10K, then a 10-miler...etc. I'd finished a couple of half marathons before trying the WDW full, my first, in 2012. But that's just me.

I'd suggest starting SLOWLY with running and then look into some local races so you can get an idea of what you're facing. Also, you'll want to make the Goofy decision soon-ish...2015 is the 10th anniversary so it'll probably sell out more quickly than usual. Registration opens in late March/early April I think.

Good luck! :goodvibes

Lets be honest...Goofy is insane! I did the Goofy last year and the Dopey this year and I will say its insane but I wouldn't take it back for anything!

First, because of your current lifestyle I would see a doctor...make sure you are really okay for this.

If you even thinking about doing a Goofy now then I would get onto some exercise routine that will slowly build you up...nothing too fast as you have a year pretty much.
I would buy a pen and a notepad and write down everything you do (workout wise) and how you felt doing it...write down miles and how long it took you...then slowly build from there.

It is a commitment of a lot of time devoted to building yourself up for one weekend. When it was my days off, and the closer to the race it came...my first thoughts were about training...it will end up sort of consuming you..because you want to be ready! You want your body to be ready and as mentioned, your mind.

As summer approaches you will try to figure out ways to get the most of your workouts...more miles in the am...listening to your body and not over doing it...when fall comes you have to really move forward and start packing on the miles...to get your body used to it and strong...

Like I said, its commitment and training will take a lot of time. Then you come on here and start reading posts and posting your own thoughts and questions...

As mentioned it will also depend on where you are right now in your life...see a doctor to make sure you are okay for this hard training...then you have to stick to it...even when you want to do nothing and slack off you will have to stick to training...it will all matter in the end.

The first question I would ask you is do you have support to do it? What I mean, if you are single, no biggie, you can decide what you want to do. But, if you are married, engaged, in a relationship, have kids etc etc, you WILL spend between every other weekend to every 3rd weekend doing some serious hours as the year goes along. It will pull you from your family.

A year, IMO, as long as there are no other underlying medical issues, you can certainly do it in a year. I did. It wasnt fast or pretty, but I did it, and I am proud. There were times when my training suffered, it was at the end of the time and it showed.

I did the galloway method. I would suggest some sort of run / walk program. After the dopey, with the exception of very sore feet (due, IMO to failure on my part to concentrate on my stride when it started to fail) I had no major pains. Soreness? sure. Look funny getting up? For a day or two :). But you CAN do it. If you are wanting to do it, as soon as registration open, sign up. That does 2 things, 1) gets you in :) and 2) makes that commitment in a big way, that you WILL want to make sure you are successful.

I think it's definitly possible, as others have said you won't be breaking any speed records but do able as walk/run. Jeff and I did our 1st 5k last January during the 20th WDW marathon weekend. A friend of ours who became our informal trainer did the goofy that year (2013) we got the idea to do the same thing this year, then the Dopey was announced and after my husband talked me into it, we signed up.

I would strongly recommend getting atleast one or two half marathons ran prior to Goofy and if you can a marathon. By next January you want the half to be atleast relatively easy. We did our 1st half in May, 2nd in October (Jeff the husband also did TOT) and the space coast full beginning of December. Didn't know the wisdom of our 1st full so close to the Dopey but hindsight glad we did. I knew how it would "feel"and knew I could do it because I already had.

Good luck and hope to see you on the finish line next year!

Jennifer

If you are serious about being Goofy, the good news is that you have a year to get yourself into shape, which is not impossible.

Since you are new to this whole running thing, I would definitely start working yourself towards running a 5K race right now, and then work right into a 10K race shortly after. This will get you use to race conditions and know what to expect in a race.

There are all sorts of resources on the web to get you started on training plans. Couch to 5K, Galloway, Hal Higdon, etc. Find something that works for you and see how you do in those short races before committing the money to Goofy.

I'd agree with Doctor K's thoughts. Given that you have a year to train, I don't think that it's an impossible goal. You have time to go through couch to 5k and then marathon training plans. I would schedule other races before then to help you get the feel of a race.

I wouldn't plan to tour the parks as usual. It's not that you can't go to the parks but you'll probably want to be in bed fairly early and you'll most likely not want to walk a lot during the day.

Thank you everyone for your replies!!! :goodvibes

Ok, so if I have it right:

1) The Goofy Race is no picnic! It's very hard, but it's doable as long as the goal is realistic (GOAL: To Finish the Race before the balloon ladies get me!!!).
2) Training will be a big commitment. I've already started, so that's good, and my wife is onboard, which is even better. Only thing I dread will be summer training (I live in Austin, TX). But hopefully I can switch to early morning training to avoid the sun. I'll try to figure something out for longer runs on weekends...
3) Get the right gear. Check! I got a pair of running shoes from running shoe store last weekend. I read in multiple places it's the most important thing to avoid injury.
4) Try to get a few runs under belt before the actual Goofy. I'll see how I can schedule a few races between now & Goofy, with increasing lengths in each.
5) Commit!! I'll be doing so as soon as registration opens. The more motivation, the better! It will also confirm to DW that I'm serious about this. And will get planning for the next Disney vacation started! ;)
6) Get a good training plan. Yep! Have a Galloway walk-run-walk plan in running app. I will start it as soon as I finish the preliminary training (the I-need-to-get-my-body-used-to-moving-before-I-even-try-to-train training). I will hopefully be ready for Jeff's Goofy Race training by July.
7) I may be out for the count for a few days after Goofy. But hey, if I can say I ran a marathon, I think that might just be worth it.

Thank you again, everyone!!! This makes me think that even though this may be VERY hard, it is doable, and may be a very fulfilling experience!! And if this helps me lose weight and be healthier, then it's probably one of the better things I could ever do for myself. :goodvibes

#5...Commit as soon as registration opens is what you wrote.

Honestly if it were me in your shoes I would start the commitment now. Start walking and as already suggested, sign up for some local 5k races to get the jist of it...and confidence of the whole race thing...from registration to packet pickup to bibs and corals and so on...get an idea of it.

If you start commiting yourself now you will have a headstart which is good while the weather is much easier to tolerate now.

I wouldn't wait until registration to commit...because it is such a huge task to accomplishment.

I did the Goofy this year for the first time - not the Dopey. I have run many marathons. I decided against the Dopey because of the need to wake so early 4 days in a row while on vacation. Here is my opinion of your desire to try this without running experience:

You can absolutely train to run a marathon in 10 months - and I mean run, not just run/walk. That is plenty of time. To extend that thought - if you can run a marathon and have trained by running 4-5 days in a row each week, you can do the Dopey with no more real effort as long as you take it easy and follow a run/walk strategy. The other races will be like training runs.

The only problem is the sleep deprivation and the desire to walk around a lot in the parks on race days. This is working under the assumption that you will train properly between now and then, and that your only goal in each race will be a 16 minute mile.

I once was on the side of it's crazy to run Goofy as a first marathon maybe even more so with both being the first.

But as a coach I know that when challenged in a POSITIVE way, the body and mind can do wonderful things. If you are seriously planning a Goofy, I would look to run at least a half in the early fall. There are a couple reasons 1) to get the start line experience and 2) to get a proof of your ability and time to complete the race. If you have no ideal how long it will take to run the full, you may end up in the last corral when your talent may allow you well ahead of that wave. When registering do not indicate an estimated time faster than the time indicated on the entry form as one that requires proof (in the 5:45 range I think).

Good luck in your training. If you set out today and plan your path and keep a positive outlook you will finish much stronger than you ever imagined.

Hi all! :)

I thought I should update on this one. (Maybe it should be moved to the WISH Journal section?)

Ok. So I've now lost around 25 pounds since I started exercising back in January (running & yoga), and have lost a total of 39 pounds since I started eating healthy back in November. :goodvibes

I've been following the Jeff Galloway Run/Walk Beginner Half training schedule for a 1/2 marathon (using Runkeeper), and am now up to 6.5 miles @ < 12 min/mile. It's amazing to me what a human body can do if you just let it. I'm still very slow, but it's definitely an improvement since I started walking in January!! :woohoo:

I'm running my first 10K in 2 weeks (Statesman Cap 10K), and I am all setup to do my first 1/2 marathon in Disneyland this August 31st. It will be my first trip to Disneyland, and my first Disney solo trip! :banana:

My girls aren't too happy with me that I'm going to Disney by myself, though... :blush:

My wife, who got me into the healthy eating thing (she started eating healthier and lost 20-30 pounds) and started walking with a friend, thereby motivating me, is now motivated herself to try a 1/2 marathon later this year. I'm proud of her, but keep telling her she needs to start training! I think my longer runs are finally motivating her to get started, though.

So, getting to the point of what this whole thread was about, at this time I decided not to do the Goofy. I think it's too much for a first Marathon experience. I think I should get a Full Marathon under my belt first. I'm big into the "don't rush it/don't get injured/just enjoy it" philosophy. If I burn myself out or injure myself just by training, I definitely won't be able to enjoy it.

I may do the Full Marathon @ Disney in January 2015, but we're debating it right now, as it may just be too expensive for us to do. :( We'll see. Still have a few weeks to decide. :goodvibes

Anyway, thanks everyone for the suggestions and encouragement you gave me! :thumbsup2

Congratulations on the weight loss and improvement as a runner!

Having just seen this, I thought I'd say that with where you are now, if you decide in the next month to pursue Goofy, I believe you could do it. My fiancee and I did Goofy 2013 after I had only completed a 10 mile race and she didn't run at all. Following the Galloway program from the time we signed up in April to January got us to the finish just within the 16:00/mi limit. We had a Fall 1/2 marathon in our training, but Goofy was our first full marathon race. We were fine to enjoy the parks the next day, which is good since I proposed during Wishes that night! ;)

It is a big commitment of time, though, and I'd expect that it's more a challenge for you as a father than it is for it being just the two of us. And certainly those runDisney prices are a concern for everybody. Whatever you decide to do with respect to Goofy 2015, it sounds like you're doing fantastic with your life changes, and I hope you enjoy your upcoming races! :thumbsup2

I've been following the Jeff Galloway Run/Walk Beginner Half training schedule for a 1/2 marathon (using Runkeeper), and am now up to 6.5 miles @ < 12 min/mile. It's amazing to me what a human body can do if you just let it. I'm still very slow, but it's definitely an improvement since I started walking in January!! :woohoo:

I just wanted to throw in that your pace is not slow at all! That's about the pace that I run and I have successfully completed 4 half-marathons and one full! The full was actually at a 14 min/mile pace, but I was having a really bad day. I think at the rate you are going, you could easily complete a marathon in Jan, maybe even the Goofy! You are actually ahead of where I was this time last year in preparation for the WDW full :thumbsup2

I know there are a lot of factors that go in to deciding whether or not a trip to WDW in Jan is worth it, but don't let your fitness level be the reason you don't try! Good luck!

You sound like you are doing very well! Signing up for races is a good thing.

I was going to say that don't scare yourself from doing a marathon....as already posted...you will be surprised at what you can do...look at what you have done already!

You have time to really decide what you want to do between now and when registration opens up...because I have a feeling races will sell out in record time.

Disney is a great place to do a marathon...esp a first. They are very forgiving on time. There are pace groups in each coral (not every race has these)...so you can stay with a group of people who will motivate you to keep moving.
There are walkers in the marathon.
You have less than a month to really think about it. If you sign up for the Disney full then you will have 9 mos to get ready. :woohoo:

What do you guys think will sell out first,Dopey or Goofy with it being an anniversary year?Obviously last year Dopey being its first year everyone knew it would go right away.I'm just wondering how many of those who did it last year are up for it again,but then I'm sure there were people who got denied last year with it selling out so fast or only heard about it afterwards who want to do it,so I think it'll be quick for Dopey but unsure if the anniversary year for Goofy will make it go first.

I think Dopey will sell out first again. Probably because there are not as many bibs for that race.
This would be followed by the half.

That's my prediction.

I am almost 100% sure I wont be doing the Dopey next year again. At best I might do the half. Really because its so expensive and there are other races I want to try...one being the Princess.

What do you guys think will sell out first,Dopey or Goofy with it being an anniversary year? . . .I think it'll be quick for Dopey but unsure if the anniversary year for Goofy will make it go first.

I think it's a toss up on which one goes first between Goofy's anniversary year and Dopey having so fewer entries as a subset of the other races. Either way, with how the other races have been going, it would be safe to plan on them both selling out within 24-48 hours.

Whatever race anyone does...sign up the moment registration opens. It seems to me that these races are selling out really really fast. The W/D sold out in a day or two. The Avengers is already sold out. I mean they no sooner open up registration and the race is sold out. I am scratching my head at this.

So for marathon weekend...you all have a few weeks to really figure out what you want to do...then when the moment comes you have to go for it. I was just checking out the facebook page on Avengers and people are upset that they couldn't get in to sign up for it...then it was sold out.

Strange.:sad2::confused3:crazy2::scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter