Goofy 2015 - Am I crazy?

Thank you everyone for your replies!!! :goodvibes

Ok, so if I have it right:

1) The Goofy Race is no picnic! It's very hard, but it's doable as long as the goal is realistic (GOAL: To Finish the Race before the balloon ladies get me!!!).

Actually, Goofy isn't that hard if you train properly. My brother and I did it in 2013, and it actually wasn't that hard at all. Of course, we both had been training for a while, and it wasn't the first marathon for either of us. We just did the half and the full at easy run pace, and we were fine the next day. Commit to your training and the race itself can be relatively pain free!

EDIT - I posted this before I saw your March update, I had only viewed what you posted initially. Good work, keep going! My recommendation still stands below, and it looks like what you've been doing has been working for you!

As far as your training plan - that's going to be very important. Personally, I'm more of a triathlete than a runner, but I know run training well enough. The most important thing for you will be:

Consistency - this is absolutely key. You cannot go big stretches without running. If your training plan has you running only 4x per week (which is common), it's not going to get you there. You need to run 6x per week, even if 2-3 of them are short runs. NEVER take 2 consecutive days off.

Most people's problem is that they run to hard when they do run, and that doesn't allow them to properly recover. Run very easy (you should be able to carry a conversation. Not perfectly carry a conversation, some fits and starts is fine, but carrying a conversation shouldn't be "hard"). Run easy, which will allow you to run 6-7 times per week. You aren't there yet, but a 6 run week could look like this: 3, 6, 3, 6, 3, 9, OFF. Or, 2, 4, 2, 4, 2, 6, OFF. Go like that, and keep building.

You are new to running, so you shouldn't be doing any plan that has "speedwork" or "tempo runs" or any of that. Just lots and lots of easy Zone 2 (for us heart-rate trainers) runs.

Good luck. You can do it. Be consistent!

NEVER take 2 consecutive days off.

I respectfully disagree with this. I did Dopey and used Hal Higdon's Dopey plan. There were numerous times that I had 2 days off from running (Sunday and Monday). Hal's plan had us doing cross training those Sunday's, but I used those as more of a rest day as I felt I needed the recovery more than the cross training.

Is there a Hal Hidgon Goofy plan? I used one of his plans last year for the marathon and enjoyed it. (I normally use Galloways plans but didn't want to go to the full 26 miles)

Is there a Hal Hidgon Goofy plan? I used one of his plans last year for the marathon and enjoyed it. (I normally use Galloways plans but didn't want to go to the full 26 miles)

It's his Intermediate 2 Plan. :thumbsup2

You need to run 6x per week, even if 2-3 of them are short runs. NEVER take 2 consecutive days off.

I'll also respectfully disagree with the 2 consecutive days off; it all depends on your training plan and how you are feeling. If you need an extra day of rest, it's not going to significantly impact your training to listen to your body and rest more. The overall trend should lean toward more mileage in a training plan, but less in the short term can equal more in the long run.

Maybe I was too strong in my NEVER comment, regarding consecutive off days. I realize there are times where you need to listen to your body. There are times where schedules are a challenge. But, I should have said you should NEVER be on a training plan that prescribes consecutive off days each week.

On those days where you think you need to listen to your body and take a 2nd consecutive day off, I would say 2 things:

1. You may be running to hard. Slow down, keep your HR in Zone 2 at a relaxed conversational pace. If that's your pace, you should rarely need 2 consecutive days off.
2. On those days you think you need 2 days, you would most of the time be better off getting an easy recovery run in, maybe only 2 miles. Maybe 3. It should be even slower than your normal "long run pace", but you are still getting the benefit. It's not wasted.

Most people run to hard, which doesn't allow them to run often enough. Run more often, run a little slower. You'll build up miles and cumulative aerobic benefit. 6 days a week is best.

That said, can you have a successful training program with only running 3-4 days a week? Absolutely. Is it optimal? No.

Maybe I was too strong in my NEVER comment, regarding consecutive off days. I realize there are times where you need to listen to your body. There are times where schedules are a challenge. But, I should have said you should NEVER be on a training plan that prescribes consecutive off days each week. On those days where you think you need to listen to your body and take a 2nd consecutive day off, I would say 2 things: 1. You may be running to hard. Slow down, keep your HR in Zone 2 at a relaxed conversational pace. If that's your pace, you should rarely need 2 consecutive days off. 2. On those days you think you need 2 days, you would most of the time be better off getting an easy recovery run in, maybe only 2 miles. Maybe 3. It should be even slower than your normal "long run pace", but you are still getting the benefit. It's not wasted. Most people run to hard, which doesn't allow them to run often enough. Run more often, run a little slower. You'll build up miles and cumulative aerobic benefit. 6 days a week is best. That said, can you have a successful training program with only running 3-4 days a week? Absolutely. Is it optimal? No.

Not optimal? In what way? Are you saying this is true for marathon training only, or half marathons too? I used Galloway for my half training, running 3 times a week and occasionally missing one of my midweek runs when I was particularly busy at work, and I still managed to finish the Rock & Roll DC Half in just under 2:05; it felt pretty great to me. Had I used a training plan that called for running 5-7 days a week, I never could have made it happen.

Just chiming in. I loosely followed the Galloway Goofy plan. Longest run was 20 miles. This was my second marathon this past January. I only ran 3x per week. Did strength/cardio 2x per week. And walked for leisure 5-6 days per week. This schedule was a good balance for me. I ran the Goofy plus Minnie and was just fine. If you are just looking to finish without being swept AND injury free, I think Galloway's plan or similar low mileage plan will get you through. However, I think the added strength training really helped me in my second marathon. I ran all three races at an easy pace doing walk/run. I actually had my fastest pace in the marathon.

Not optimal? In what way? Are you saying this is true for marathon training only, or half marathons too? I used Galloway for my half training, running 3 times a week and occasionally missing one of my midweek runs when I was particularly busy at work, and I still managed to finish the Rock & Roll DC Half in just under 2:05; it felt pretty great to me. Had I used a training plan that called for running 5-7 days a week, I never could have made it happen.
Not optimal, as in, not your "best or most favorable" training plan.

You obviously had time constraints, as we all do. I'm not saying you have to create time to run 6 days a week, but I am saying that if you had run 6 days a week (in the method I have described above), you would have been more fit and all things considered, would have run faster.

We all have time constraints and have to work within those! I was just saying, if you have the time and are looking to be at your best, run consistently, run more often, and run slower (so you can recover and run again tomorrow)!

You obviously had time constraints, as we all do. I'm not saying you have to create time to run 6 days a week, but I am saying that if you had run 6 days a week (in the method I have described above), you would have been more fit and all things considered, would have run faster.

We all have time constraints and have to work within those! I was just saying, if you have the time and are looking to be at your best, run consistently, run more often, and run slower (so you can recover and run again tomorrow)!

Sure, if you have time to exercise 6 or 7 days a week you'll probably be in better shape than if you had exercised 3 or 4 days a week, unless of course you get injured from over-exercising in which case nevermind. :confused3

All I'm saying is pick the training plan that you think can work for your lifestyle, stick with it, and you should be able to reach your goal.

unless of course you get injured from over-exercising in which case nevermind. :confused3 .

Please see my posts above where I clearly detailed how to not over-exercise, and the importance of running very easy, so that you can run more often without hurting yourself.

I should have realized not to post on training plans here. I hope the original poster sees that I was simply trying to help!

Generally, more miles in training is best, but each runner needs to tailor a training program to their own specific needs - their goals, time constraints, injury history, etc. Higher mileage training is especially important when preparing for a half or full - there is just no substitute for mileage to increase race endurance. I run my halfs in the 1:30s, and that's mostly due to running 6 days/week. I don't think I'd be hitting those times on half as much training.

I don't think running 6 days a week will make you faster unless of course some of those days are interval training, speed work, hill repeats, etc. Plans that include this type of activity are generally for more advanced runners.

As I mentioned previously, the Hal Higdon Dopey plan had 2 consecutive days off from running every week. I followed it religiously and was able to complete my first marathon in under 4 hours (while running a 5k, 10k, and half in the preceeding days). I really don't think that 6 days of running would have had any benefit on my time for the marathon, other than possibly making it worse because I was worn out from running so much during training.

I agree with the previous poster that running 6 days a week will make you fitter unless you get injured, which is likely for a beginner marathon runner. Most beginner runners that are looking for a plan to use for the Marathon, Goofy, or Dopey will get burned out and overtrain if they run 6 days a week. Most advanced runners that can run 6 days a week probably have their own plan of attack already. I certainly wouldn't recommend running 6 days a week to a runner seeking advice for their first marathon, Goofy, or Dopey.

I don't think running 6 days a week will make you faster unless of course some of those days are interval training, speed work, hill repeats, etc. Plans that include this type of activity are generally for more advanced runners.

As I mentioned previously, the Hal Higdon Dopey plan had 2 consecutive days off from running every week. I followed it religiously and was able to complete my first marathon in under 4 hours (while running a 5k, 10k, and half in the preceeding days). I really don't think that 6 days of running would have had any benefit on my time for the marathon, other than possibly making it worse because I was worn out from running so much during training.

I agree with the previous poster that running 6 days a week will make you fitter unless you get injured, which is likely for a beginner marathon runner. Most beginner runners that are looking for a plan to use for the Marathon, Goofy, or Dopey will get burned out and overtrain if they run 6 days a week. Most advanced runners that can run 6 days a week probably have their own plan of attack already. I certainly wouldn't recommend running 6 days a week to a runner seeking advice for their first marathon, Goofy, or Dopey.

I run 4x a week when I am in full training mode, and that has me at about a 2:13 half marathon. If I would commit to doing the tempo runs and speed training more consistently, I could probably get to the 2:00 mark. I already run on hills where I live so that takes care of itself.

I think my body would break down and I would burn out if I had to get out there and run 6x a week.

Not true. Running more often, in Heart Rate Zone 1 or Zone 2 (which is very easy), will make you faster. Especially for the beginner or moderate beginner.

Yes, you are correct, once you get more advance you will need to add speed work to get faster, but that's not where most people on these forums are.

For most people, like the Original Poster, running more often and running easy will make you faster. You will continually be able to run at a faster pace while keeping your Heart Rate in the same "relaxed" state.

Congrats! I've never said that other plans won't get the job done. They absolutely can.
It's like everyone is criticizing, without reading what I'm writing. It's blowing my mind.

RUN SLOW. RUN EASY. If you are running easy, on 3-5 of your 6 days, you won't be burned out and need an off day. Many, many runners feel like they only can run 3 days a week, so they have to push it. They run to hard, and kill their recovery. If you can't carry on a conversation while you are running, you are training to fast (unless you are advanced and doing Tempo or Threshold speed work).

I'm not saying run 5 miles a day M-F and then a long run on the weekend. Do 3 short recovery runs a week, 2 medium runs per week, and 1 long run. 3/2/1. Run easy, run consistently, run often.

I run 4x a week when I am in full training mode, and that has me at about a 2:13 half marathon. If I would commit to doing the tempo runs and speed training more consistently, I could probably get to the 2:00 mark. I already run on hills where I live so that takes care of itself.

I think my body would break down and I would burn out if I had to get out there and run 6x a week.

I agree. I have trouble getting in 4x a week sometimes. I love doing races, but I don't actually like running, if that makes any sense lol. If I had to force myself to get to the gym, or run in the rain, or run at 5am, etc just to get to 6x a week, I think I'd end up hating the sport.

With that said, I do agree with ontheuptick that training 6x a week at a relaxed pace is probably better for you overall, it just won't work for everybody! Not drinking beer and eating pizza would probably help me lost the 10lbs I want to get rid of, but I'd be miserable! :rotfl2:

I'm not saying run 5 miles a day M-F and then a long run on the weekend. Do 3 short recovery runs a week, 2 medium runs per week, and 1 long run. 3/2/1. Run easy, run consistently, run often.

I have had great results with a similar training schedule. I totally get what you are saying! :thumbsup2

My training doesn't even involve running...it involves walking really fast up and down hills. I train in this park this is very hilly.

I do the running/jogging part in the actual race.

I did the Goofy and the Dopey training like this and while no records were broken...in Disney I wasn't expecting that but I finished safe...no injuries.

My biggest thing was making sure I could do it. I remember walking on the treadmill at a very high incline for 23.2 miles in December just to make sure I was able.

Closer to the race day (Dopey / Goofy) I was doing my speed walks everyday. Then a couple of weeks out I tapered and slowed it down a lot.

All the while...I was checking the plan that was on the www.rundisney.com webpage and I seemed to be in sync with that plan....as far as how many miles and how far along.

It's like everyone is criticizing, without reading what I'm writing. It's blowing my mind.

RUN SLOW. RUN EASY. If you are running easy, on 3-5 of your 6 days, you won't be burned out and need an off day. Many, many runners feel like they only can run 3 days a week, so they have to push it. They run to hard, and kill their recovery. If you can't carry on a conversation while you are running, you are training to fast (unless you are advanced and doing Tempo or Threshold speed work).

I apologize for criticizing your comments...and I am readying what you wrote. My issue is that you first stated that you should NEVER take 2 days in a row off. Then you clarified that by stating that you should NEVER choose a plan that prescribes 2 days in a row off. That is where I have the issue. This is so untrue. There are many plans out there that provide multiple days off in a row. These are excellent plans. Running at a slow pace is still running...even if it's 2 or 3 miles...and for a beginner could lead to injury. If you run 4 times a week, you will be fine. You could concentrate on 1 long run, 1 medium run, and 2 recovery runs. These runs build up in time and I agree that your long run and recovery runs should be done at a conversation pace, which is typically 30-90 seconds slower than race pace. The medium length run should be done at various speeds and can be done at a conversation pace if desired. There is no need to run 6 days in a row to complete a marathon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter