Got a question on prescriptions.....

Actually the CDC believes about 30% of all antibiotic prescriptions are unnecessary.
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2016/p0503-unnecessary-prescriptions.htmlPatients want something to show for their copay and doctors are unwilling to be the bad guy and say no.

A more recent article puts the number as high as 50%.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/10/181005141911.htm
And 1 in 5 prescriptions are written without an in person visit.

I had read another article that blamed another surge in unnecessary antibiotic prescriptions on the push for telemedicine. I know this year my insurance company, United Health Care, is really pushing telemedicine. If I use the telemedicine options and visit a doctor via facetime and an app my copay is waived. A patient is very likely to get an antibiotic prescription from the telemedicine doctor.
::yes:: Information like this has been circulated for many years and it’s very credible. Just insane though, given the gravity of the consequences. And it’s mind-boggling :eek: that medical professionals, the same ones who want us to give up google and trust them unquestioningly, are so quick to roll over and prescribe inappropriately in the name of “customer service”.

She said she had a bug. And doctors don't just give out antibiotics with no reason.

you'd be surprised how many doctors give out Anitbiotics. And you don't get antibiotics If its viral or a cold.

::yes:: Information like this has been circulated for many years and it’s very credible. Just insane though, given the gravity of the consequences. And it’s mind-boggling :eek: that medical professionals, the same ones who want us to give up google and trust them unquestioningly, are so quick to roll over and prescribe inappropriately in the name of “customer service”.

Have you run across doctors like that? I have seen so many doctors over my lifetime and not once would a doctor give me a prescription just because I asked for it. Not that I’m asking for drugs on a regular basis but my pcp would definitely do an exam before prescribing anything. We would also never be able to get a prescription over the phone BUT I can have my pharmacy call my doctor for refills. These are meds I take every day, though.

Have you run across doctors like that? I have seen so many doctors over my lifetime and not once would a doctor give me a prescription just because I asked for it. Not that I’m asking for drugs on a regular basis but my pcp would definitely do an exam before prescribing anything. We would also never be able to get a prescription over the phone BUT I can have my pharmacy call my doctor for refills. These are meds I take every day, though.
No I haven't but I'm not a good example - I actively resist all kinds of prescription drugs whenever possible (other than my reflux meds, which are OTC in the States). My current doctor is threatening to drop me as a patient because I've refused to take Crestor.

As to the antibiotic situation though, I know lots of people who claim to have been given antibiotics for colds (no cultures taken) and for "just in case" when they travel, which is tantamount to letting them self-medicate.

Is one maybe generic and the other one not? Call CVS and ask them, can't hurt!
both are generic form of penicillan

Maybe it was too soon after the first was filled. If it was supposed to last 10 days and you filled the other 7 days later, the insurance might feel it wasn't needed yet. Not sure of your time line.

I think the pharmacy should have mentioned that to you.
It very well could have been too soon. Never really thought of that, since when I filled the second one, I didn't realize it was for the same prescription as the first

Were they filled at the same pharmacy? Your post says you filled the second at CVS but not where you filled the first.
yes, they were both filled at the same CVS

you don't need anitbiotics for a cold, so I would not get or take it.
never said I had a cold. I have a persistant cough that won't go away. been taking the antibiotics since then and the cough is about 90% gone.

I just get my stuff online, no prescription required on some sites. I.e. I get my sleeping pills off proroid, however, they will only ship to Canada.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter