Got some "magic" at Disneyland tonight....

KaitlinsMom

DIS Veteran
My DD and I went to Disneyland today to see the Christmas parade and fireworks - Everything going great - we waited to see the fireworks, found a pretty good spot, got situated, lights dim, then BAM! this couple walks right in front of us and puts their kids on top of their shoulders - Now my DD can't see. There was a couple right next to me, saw what happened - and offered to put my DD on his shoulders! I told them it was OK, but his wife insisted - So my DD went on his shoulders and she was able to see the fireworks show without an obstructed view! He told me after the show his name was Michael. I thanked them both very much - They wished us a Merry Christmas - I thanked them for putting some "magic" in my daughter's life tonight -

Was a great night tonight -

Karen

That is my pet peeve! We had the same thing happen after staking a spot out for literally two hours in September. I was boiling mad, then I just tapped the wife on the shoulder and told her my kids couldn't see. She told her husband to take their kid off his shoulders. I realized they just didn't realize that this would make it impossible for some behind them to see, just a not thinking kind of moment. They were very nice so I was glad I said something. What made it ironic and got me mad in the first place, is two minutes before the show they walked over all the bodies in the hub and asked if they could squeeze in by us (this was after stepping on dd's hand as we were still sitting on the ground at this point). My daughter is 9 and way too big to put on dh's shoulders, plus that would probably block somebody else's view.

Totally my pet peeve too! I did tap the father on the shoulder (there was a child on the father's shoulders and a child on the mother's shoulders) and told them "excuse me, my daughter can't see) but the music just started, fireworks were going, and I was trying to video tape all at the same time! (should make for an interesting video) they did move a little, but not much - We were on the side, so when the gentleman put my DD on his shoulders, we were sure no one was behind him -

I don't mind children on the shoulders, sometimes that is the only way they can see - Just don't show up as soon as the music/fireworks start and block other people's view -

OK, off my soapbox

This is a huge pet peeve of mine as well. I hate getting there early, waiting for an hour and then as soon as the music starts, tons of parents pick up their children and put them on their shoulders. Sure, I know you want your child to see, but at everyone else's expense? I see many parents simply picking kids up and putting them in thier arms...this way they can see, but will not block the view of everyone else behind them. Much better solution.

Glad it worked out for you guys! I think parents who put their kids on their shoulders should stand more closer to the back of the crowds, not in the front. I know I get upset when I can't see what's going on, and I'm short to begin with! Believe me, I won't obscure your view if you let me pass to stand in front of you. I'm only 5'2, and the majority of people standing are much taller than that! Don't make me have to jump up and down to see! :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter