Graduation 2020 December PTR - Updated 11/26

Amunet

DIS Veteran
:welcome:
To my WDW 2020 PTR!
This trip has been a long time coming, even before Covid struck and I'm excited to finally be able to visit one of my favorite places in the world during my favorite time of the year :)
This PTR is a bit short lived due to the trip being so close, but hey, need to put my plans somewhere, right?

The Who ...

Kristal - Me
FjHE4G.jpg

I am a part time Lecturer at an online Pagan Seminary and waiting results for a Fulbright study and internship at the Smithsonian. My love of Disney really started in 2008, my first visit to WDW and I've been going back ever since! My favorite Disney vacation has to be DCL though, which I started sailing in 2012. (flattering photo, no? :p)
Favorite Disney Character: Elsa
Favorite DCL Ship: The Magic
Favorite WDW Ride: Frozen Ever After

Rich - Significant Other
phxLlW.jpg

Rich is a Journeyman Automotive Technician that was converted to a Disney vacation enthusiast by me. His first ever Cruise was DCL EB Panama Canal of 2016 then visited WDW right after, which was also his first WDW experience.
Favorite Disney Character: Doc Hudson
Favorite DCL Ship: The Magic
Favorite WDW Ride: Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run

LQal3P.jpg

We've been together for about 5.5 years and currently reside South West of Minneapolis, Minnesota with our kitty Mochi ...

Mochi Kitty
nrEFCG.jpg

This is our furry baby that we will have to leave behind at a wonderful boarding facility. She enjoys this new boarding place so we don't feel as bad leaving her anymore.
Not only is she named after a Japanese delicacy, she is named after the cat in Big Hero 6 since she's a cute calico as well.
The What ...

This is a 5 night trip at Disney World, the longest Rich has stayed at WDW, with a 24 hour drive each way from Minnesota.

The Where ...
Art of Animation - Little Mermaid room
The last time I stayed here was the year they opened up (2012) and Rich has never stayed here.

The When ...
11/28/20 - Depart Home
11/29 - 12/4 - WDW

The Why ...
As you may have surmised, this trip is due to a graduation, my graduation to be precise. I have finally achieved a Master's degree from the University of Chicago after a long road. Not only is this a huge accomplishment academically, I also have persevered through life altering mental illness and have finally taken huge steps to better manage my mental health. I started the program in Autumn 2014 and just about finished the class portion of the program in Autumn 2015 but I had a relapse of my mental health and I was not able to fulfill the final papers of those last classes. It has been a slow process but I did complete my thesis (got an A!) this past summer and those final papers (A on both papers, earning a B in one class and an A in another) in May of this year. This trip is a celebration of both achievements and I am quite proud of myself.
Also, no one really made a big deal about me completing my degree, so Rich is taking it upon himself to do so!

hmVQ0h.jpg

Ta Da!
I have chosen to go to WDW during the Yuletide season for a few reasons:
  1. I have never been to WDW during this holiday season​
  2. We were suppose to go in 2019 but did not end up doing so for ... reasons.​
Rich has also never been during this time. Both of us have been to MNSSHP many times (me more so) but never MVMCP, so it is sad we are not able to experience that this year but that always means next year! Also, I am super excited that the festival in Epcot is still going! I have been to all the other Epcot festivals (Festival of the Arts, Flower & Garden, and Food & Wine) except this one, so I'm rather looking forward to checking it off my list.
Even though this year won't be a FULL Disney Holiday experience, I think there is still plenty that will give that extra holiday magic. Plus, our main focus is on the exclusive holiday food/desserts and the seasonal merchandise, which is adorable.

AN EXTRA ADVENTURE ...

As mentioned above, we will be driving the 24 hours down and back from WDW. We enjoy road-tripping and camping and will be combining those two in this trip and create a whole extra adventure: building a bed for my car!

Blueberry - my car
SH8OQ8.jpg

Blueberry is a 2008 Honda Fit, a first generation. Sadly, no cruise control :(

Kgc7Ci.jpg

This is from a camping trip ... it holds A LOT for a little car; bigger on the inside.
We use my car for these trips due to this space, since Rich's car is a convertible.
Not only will I be updating with plans for the Disney trip, but I will also do some updates with how the build is going for the bed and will be including it when I write the trip report. The bed is an elevated bed in the back of my car so we can store our luggage underneath. We will be finding safe places to stop overnight during our journey to/from WDW to save money on hotels (money better spent at WDW since I will want to buy ALL the holiday merchandise lol).

Last edited:
Current Plans

Sat. 11/28
  • Departure from Minnesota, driving down to WDW

Sun. 11/29
  • Character Warehouses
  • Sanaa lunch reservation @ 2:35pm
  • Arrive at Art of Animation
  • Visit Disney Springs
    • Eat Holiday Yule Log @ Amoretto's Patisserie
    • Purchase Jingle Bell Sipper?

Mon. 11/30
  • Magic Kingdom Day
    • Straight to Mine Train
    • Pooh
    • Ariel
    • Depending on wait times, will ride sometime during the day ...
      • Thunder Mountain
      • Buzz Lightyear
      • Pirates
      • Space Mountain
    • May have afternoon break to do resort graduation photo shoot & swim
    • MK graduation photo shoot (if we can with the rain!)
    • Eat all the holiday snack/treats!
      • Twice Upon a Cupcake - Main St. Bakery
      • Let It Snow Taco - Pecos Bill
      • Bell's Christmas Tree - Gaston's Tavern
      • Yuletide Wishes - Pinocchio Haus
      • Falalala Funnel Cake - Sleepy Hollow
      • Spice Up the Holidays Sandwich - Cosmic Rays
      • Orange Bird Christmas - Sunshine Tree Terrace
      • Pistachio Chai Float - Aloha Isle

Tue. 12/1
  • Hollywood Studios Day
    • Straight to Slinky Dog
    • Toy Story Mania
    • Smuggler's run
      • RocknRoller
      • Star Tours
    • Hollywood & Vine Seasonal Dinner @ 4:05pm
    • Hopefully we will get a queue number for RotR and ride it sometime today
    • HS Graduation photo shoot
    • Eat all the holiday treats!
      • Holiday Tree Mousse
      • Holiday Woopie Pie
      • Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake
      • Winterberry Margarita
      • Olaf's Snow Flurry Cupcake
      • Chocolate Chestnut Pinecone
      • Hote Cocoa Flight
    • Will hop in line for the new Mickey/Minnie Ride at the end of the night

Wed. 12/2
  • Resort graduation photo shoot
  • Epcot Day
    • Straight to Frozen
      • Eat at all food booths
        • Way too many items to list
      • Cookie Stroll
      • Olaf Scavenger Hunt
    • Test Track some time during the day when times are decent
    • Epcot graduation photo shoot
    • Obtain Gingerbread Cookie Sandwich

Thur. 12/3
  • Animal Kingdom Day
    • Straight to FoP
    • Navi River
      • Everest
      • Safari
      • Dinosaur (for Rich only)
    • AK graduation photo shoot
    • Hunt down and devour the Menagerie Cupcake
    • If available, purchase the Snowman Stein
  • Disney Springs
  • Morimoto @ 8:30pm

Fri. 12/4
  • Check-out
  • Olivia's Cafe @ 8:20am 7:35am
  • Character Warehouses
  • Drive home

These are our current plans with what we want to do in each park. If anyone has advice/ideas on how to best do our schedule, please feel free to share :)

Mickey waffles are a big deal to us and since AoA doesn't have that option, we decided to make a reservation at a restaurant that does serve Mickey Waffles! By doing this, we will be eating breakfast in our room for the whole trip but totally worth it. We chose Olivia's Cafe at Key West to experience the waffles. Even though it's at the end of our trip, it will be a nice send off :)

Last edited:
To Do List:

• Build car bed
  • Call Disney to fix party number in dining reservations
  • Request king bed
  • Make list for Festival of the Holidays food booths
  • Budget food booth
  • Find safe places to spend night during trip
  • Pack
  • Pay off trip
  • Plan park itinerary/schedule
    • Magic Kingdom
    • Hollywood Studio
    • Epcot
    • Animal Kingdom
  • Save up for Merchandise
  • Toll passes
  • Buy road trip supplies
  • Make Disney face masks
    • Me - 1
    • Me - 2
    • Rich - 1
    • Rich - 2
  • Window decorations
  • Print relevant documents
  • Car window curtains/blockouts

Last edited:

Following along. Looking forward to reading more.
Ah thank you!
We just moved and are still unpacking and my desktop has all my links for external picture posting lol so once I get that guy all unpacked I'll be able to do the intros

Reactions: DLo
It has been promised that the office area will be unpacked tomorrow/later today. Should have intro up by the end of the weekend at the latest.

In the meantime, feel free to say hi and feel free to include what you look forward to reading about so I can make sure to include them :)

Following! Hope the unpacking is coming along :)

I think your plans look good! You're arriving the day we leave lol and then you're leaving 2 days before we return! It's such a fun time of year to visit and a great graduation gift. Was it a high school/college graduation?

Following! Hope the unpacking is coming along :)

I think your plans look good! You're arriving the day we leave lol and then you're leaving 2 days before we return! It's such a fun time of year to visit and a great graduation gift. Was it a high school/college graduation?
It's ... well .. it will start up again later tonight lol We have most things unpacked but still have 2 major areas to fully unpack/sort: office area, bedroom (mostly getting clothes into the new-to-us dressers we got, and books in bookshelf. Not including decor), and still one last box of cups/mugs to put away in the kitchen, then need to organize where to put all the stuff (it's a little bit of chaos). Not too bad though, just tedious at this point.

Wow! Are you local? That's a short cooling off period lol

I graduated with my Master's degree :) I'm planning on going to a PhD but I'm applying for ANOTHER Master's program that aligns better with where I'm trying to steer my career :)

Wow! Are you local? That's a short cooling off period lol
I wish! We're in NY 🍎 The early Dec. trip is for work and is actually Universal but we tacked on a night at BWV beforehand so we can do Epcot again. The opportunity came up long after our Thanksgiving visit was booked and I couldn't turn it down! That trip will be just DH and I.
I graduated with my Master's degree :) I'm planning on going to a PhD but I'm applying for ANOTHER Master's program that aligns better with where I'm trying to steer my career :)
Congratulations! On the degree and being healthy. And best of luck as you continue your education!

Updated with a reservation at Morimoto's on the 3rd :)
This is a more tentative reservation depending on our budget

I wish! We're in NY 🍎 The early Dec. trip is for work and is actually Universal but we tacked on a night at BWV beforehand so we can do Epcot again. The opportunity came up long after our Thanksgiving visit was booked and I couldn't turn it down! That trip will be just DH and I.

Congratulations! On the degree and being healthy. And best of luck as you continue your education!
Oh that's pretty nifty to have a work trip so close to a personal trip :D It's just a mini break in-between Disney lol. Will you belying or driving?

Thank you very much :) I just got accepted to present a paper based on my thesis at a conference, so that education/career is chugging along!

Fun side note: I just got accepted to present at a conference at Harvard based on my thesis written for my Master's degree :goodvibes

Reactions: DLo
So the time has just crept up on me! Just over two weeks and not much done. Usually we would have a countdown already and I would be happily be making crafts for the trip. I would also be planning Black Friday shopping.
However, I am so far behind! 2020 is throwing us all for a loop.

So, I ask anyone reading this:
  1. What would be the best plan for each park so that we can ride/experience what we have listed? We are used to rope dropping and utilizing fast passes.
  2. Any suggestions where to take a "graduation photo" (me holding diploma) in each park?
  3. Any suggestions on what to write/draw on my car windows for the ride down?
  4. Please post your holiday resort window decorations for inspiration

Congratulations on presenting at Harvard conference. Impressive.
I haven’t been yet post shut down so can’t give any park tips . Going in a little over two weeks .

Congratulations on presenting at Harvard conference. Impressive.
I haven’t been yet post shut down so can’t give any park tips . Going in a little over two weeks .
Thank you very much! It's my first conference so I'm a bit nervous but also excited.

Do you have any photos of past decorations you've done or maybe ideas what to write on my car windows? I mean, I need to blast to the world we are doing WDW trip for graduation, right? lol

So, next on my list I should be working on this weekend is to sew 3 masks, 2 for me and 1 for Rich. My main mask is not Disney related and we need at least two to swap out during the trip. Rich already has a Disney/Star Wars mask I made that he wears normally (and another for work, cause that one gets really dirty)

CSDyjr.jpg

eSVlxA.jpg

Rich's normal mask which he will be bringing along on the trip (after a wash)​

I found the Disney fabric at Walmart, two of them pre-cut. To save money, I decided to just find the lining fabric in my big fabric bin. I have lots of fabric but the tricky part was to make sure whatever I choose is cotton.

QiTIAb.jpg

My fabrics and their chosen lining
I was super excited to see the fabric pictured on the right because I have Converse Shoes that match that pattern!

XuExJY.jpg

Matching shoes!
(picture not mine)
Depending on the weather, I could probably wear these on arrival/departure day but they are not good for all day walking. I've only worn these shoes once before (traveling to/from Disneyland in late January 2020).

I hope to have my next update be a photo of the completed masks!

Masks are not done this weekend :( BUT I finally have progress photos of the bed Rich is building.

v1uZOe.jpg

This is the frame, there will be plywood on top for us to sleep on once those pieces are cut

dKrJSo.jpg

The two top cross pieces still need to be trimmed on the sides so they can fit flush with the side frame pieces (like the bottom cross piece)

INXjqp.jpg

This is a shot from under the frame, showing the alignment blocks screwed into the cross piece.
We are not connecting the cross pieces with the side frame because this needs to easily be put in and taken apart, so there are those little wood pieces on either side of the notch so the cross brace doesn't slide out while we are on top
He will also be adding some floor bracing at the head and foot of the frame so the sides don't fall in. Again, nothing will be screwed/nailed in. Then he has the plywood pieces on top that will need to put together with a hinge (so we can actually fit it into the car). There will be another smaller piece that he will have to put on to extend the length his side (passenger side) of the bed since he's 6'4" and won't be able to fit comfortably without that extension. The passenger seat will have to be slid and folded as far forward as possible when we park to sleep. Our aim is to make this as close to a normal bed as possible. I'm shorter (5'6") and can sleep in the back of my car just fine, so this bed is mostly made for him in mind.

So there is that update! I have a thread out asking for help to plan our days.
We have been waiting to pay off the trip, especially cause of Covid things but at this point, we just need to have it paid so we can keep better track of our finances.

As of now, Minnesota and Florida do not have travel restrictions. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on that leading up to our trip.

Updated with a reservation at Morimoto's on the 3rd :)
This is a more tentative reservation depending on our budget
Ooh we love Morimotos, I missed that you posted this! I hope you get to do it.

Cute fabric for the masks!

Ooh we love Morimotos, I missed that you posted this! I hope you get to do it.

Cute fabric for the masks!

Oh you've been!? Okay what do you like about it so much? Any recommendations?
As weird as it sounds, I'm kind of drooling over that melon famine float lol

And thank you! I finally got the extension cord I need to start sewing, I'm hoping to start on that tomorrow :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter