Grand Cal Trip Day 4 of 4

DonnaRy

Mouseketeer
The last day of any Disney trip is always a little sad knowing that the reality of the real world is right around the corner. My hubby and I got up early and headed down to Whitewater Snacks near the pool to refill our mugs and have some breakfast. They have a few grilled items and we both had the breakfast burrito filled with eggs, bacon, cheese and pototoe and served with salsa. They were just perfect! After that we went over to the Storyteller's Cafe and made an 8pm priority seating for dinner that night.

We headed over to DL about 8:45am, and went straight to Fantasyland at the 9am rope drop. Our first stop was Peter Pan's Flight and we got to ride twice because the lights were malfuntioning on our first ride through. After that, we walked right on Dumbo (we got the CM to take our photo as she came around to check the seatbelt), then we rode the Teacups, Mr. Toad, and Alice in Wonderland.

As we headed over to the Matterhorn, it started to drizzle (it was very overcast that morning) and after we rode, it was time to get our trusty Mickey ponchos out. Those things were the best $6.00 investment ever. We bought them years ago and actually remember to take them each time we go and usually use them at least once each trip. My hubby looked a little like the Hunchback with his on though, since he had the backpack on under it. Of course, I had to get a photo of that.

Since it started to rain pretty hard, we headed for the Main Street gift shops like everyone else in the park and they were packed! Disney sure makes a fortune on those ponchos when it rains, I think that was the most popular item that morning.

After a last look through the shops, we left DL and headed over to DCA. They had a rope up at the Hollywood Backlot entrance and were handing out tickets to Blast, so we got tickets for the 1pm show. After that, we ducked into the Baker's Field Bakery near the entrance and split some kind of yummy apple crumb bun :p. Then, we were off to ride Grizzly River Run. We figured since it was raining and we had the ponchos on already, we might as well go for it. We walked right on and rode with a very nice family from Australia. That was their first time on the ride and we had a blast getting soaking wet between the rain and the ride splashing. When the ride was over, we asked the CM if we could stay on and ride again (which I know they usually don't do) and since there was no one waiting to get on, he let us go again.

Since the Grand Cal entrance is right near the River Run, we went up to the room to change our soaking wet shoes and shorts. On the way back to DCA, we got a hot chocolate refill at Whitewater Snacks and headed over to the Hollywood Backlot to get in line for Blast. We got over there at about 12:30 for the 1pm show. The weather was starting to clear up, but it was nice and cool out (sweatshirt weather). They let us in for Blast at about 12:45 and we sat near the back of the orchestra level (2 rows behind the isle). I already saw the Broadway show (and loved it), but my hubby had not. This show is a very abbreviated version of the actual Broadway show, but is still very good. The best way to describe it is a Drum Corp stage show. If you like Drum Corp, you'll love it.

After the show we made our way over to Downtown Disney for lunch. We wanted to sink our teeth into those wonderful fried shrimp po-boys at the Creole Cafe one more time . We ate on the patio and the sandwiches were great as usual. After that, we got an ice cream to share at Hagan Daz and headed back to the Grand Cal lobby to enjoy the atmosphere. They were having a sing a long for the kids at the grand piano and then Chip and Dale showed up for storytime at the fireplace. Looked like all the kids were having a great time...so was I ;)

After lunch, we went back to DCA to catch the Golden Dreams show, which I think is very inspirational and I love how the statues come alive as Whoopi! After that, we went on the Golden Zephyr and the Sun Wheel (red car) since there was no line for either. We were walking along Paradise Pier and spotted Pacific Ocean Photos. This is one of those places that takes your photo against a green screen with props and then puts a background behind you on the computer. We got a photo that looks like we hiked up Grizzly Peak and are sitting on a ledge. My hubby has a rope over him arm and I'm carrying a backpack. It's pretty cute

We walked through the Pacific Wharf area and the Greetings from California shop at the entrance one more time, then headed back to the room to relax some. We realized we are no longer kids, after 2 and 1/2 days of walking the parks.

After some much needed relaxation, we headed back down to the World of Disney Store for one final look around and picked up some T-shirts and Princess purses for my nieces and a DCA CD for me I love the music from Soarin' and it's on there.

We headed over to Storyteller's Cafe for dinner and were seated right away. To start, my hubby had a ceaser salad and I had the charred corn chowder, which was delicious! For dinner my hubby had bar-b-que ribs with fries and green beans and I had rotisserie chicken with garlic mashed potatoes and green beans. They also serve very yummy corn muffins and yeasty white bread with dinner and they are both great. All in all, we enjoyed this dinner almost as much as our dinner at Hook's Pointe at the DL hotel.

After dinner, we were too stuffed to do much of anything so we just took a walk around the pool area and then headed back to the room to call it a night. Our bed was turned down and our chocolates were on the nightstand. I couldn't help but think how much I was going to miss this

We got up early the next day (Thursday) and had breakfast again at Whitewater snacks (they open at 7am). The Grand Cal has express checkout, so we just called the front desk to let them know we were leaving and kept our room keys as a souvenior. After breakfast, we grabbed our bags, jumped in the van and headed back to Phoenix. I couldn't help but be a little sad as we were pulling out of the parking lot. But we did have a fantastic, easy-going, relaxed trip and staying at the Grand Cal turned out to be the best part for us. Now that we see what it's like to be spoiled, we're trying to figure out how we can stay there every time

I really had enjoyed re-living the trip through posting these trip reports! :D

I have really enjoyed reading your trip report! Thanks for sharing!

Cara

Great report, makes me want to stay at the Grand Cal : )

Jenn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter