Grand Californian in June

amym2

DIS Veteran
Considering a trip to Las Vegas/Grand Canyon with a few days at DLR after. We haven't been there since 2010 and that was pre-DVC. We'll probably go in early June right after the kids (16 & 14) and I are out of school. How likely am I to be able to get a 1-bd for 3-4 nights if I book right when the 7mo window opens? We may have friends from San Diego join us, in which case we'd need to add on a studio or do a 2-bd. I assume the studio is the hardest to get? Is a 2-bd easier to get than a 1-bd?

Are weekdays going to be significantly less crowded at the parks in early June? Trying to decide whether to shoot for parks Sat/Sun or Sun/Mon.

I tried getting a Studio at the GC at the 7 month window in August 2015 and found it very very hard. Although rooms were available in the Resort Availability tool prior to 8am, when I tried to get a room online I was shut out. It took 5 straight days before securing a room. I never had an issue booking other resorts (with rooms appearing in RAT) at 7 months out.

I know you asked about a 1 bedroom. My backup plan at GC was to book a one bedroom which I was able to obtain on my first day of trying. (Which I canceled once I got the studio).

Ok, thanks. I think I'll try for a 2bedroom. If our friends not being able to come the whole time, our teens will love the 2nd bedroom.

^^Won't that depend on how many dedicated 2 bedroom villas there are at VGC? I don't recall how many there are.

Studios are always difficult at VGC. For June - very early in the month and very late in the month are going to have the greatest possibility but it's a popular month so still not easy - and weekdays are usually easier than weekends. The 1BR's are probably the easiest to book and 2BR's somewhere in between. Going for 1 room is going to improve the odds as getting 2 would be very hard.

^^Won't that depend on how many dedicated 2 bedroom villas there are at VGC? I don't recall how many there are.

23 Dedicated 2BR's and 23 2Br lockoffs - so it can be an equal distribution if lockoffs are all booked as studios and 1BR's. And 2 GV's.

Studios are always difficult at VGC. For June - very early in the month and very late in the month are going to have the greatest possibility but it's a popular month so still not easy - and weekdays are usually easier than weekends. The 1BR's are probably the easiest to book and 2BR's somewhere in between. Going for 1 room is going to improve the odds as getting 2 would be very hard.

23 Dedicated 2BR's and 23 2Br lockoffs - so it can be an equal distribution if lockoffs are all booked as studios and 1BR's. And 2 GV's.

Thanks! Hmm, sounds like I'm still better off going for a 2bd instead of a 1bd and studio. The 2bd lock-offs are already booked for two of the three nights but regular 2bd are available. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

Are weekdays going to be significantly less crowded at the parks in early June? Trying to decide whether to shoot for parks Sat/Sun or Sun/Mon.
The others have already answered your questions about the DVC portion. As far as deciding which days to attend, the best bet is to go on days that the most APs are blocked out. DL crowds function differently than WDW, because the primary contributor is locals and near-locals (lot of us come down for weekends from NorCal, Az, etc).

Crowds will be lower when the SoCal AP's are blocked out, even lower when the Deluxe AP's are blocked out. Go on those days and you'll be fine. Here's a link to the calendar.

Also, since you're DVC, take advantage of the early mornings available each day, you can get so much done on those times ... that being said my advice would be to not use the Grand Californian gate to DCA first thing in the morning, the line is always long, so just walk through DTD to the front DCA gate and you'll be in in no time. The rest of the day the GCH/DCA gate is wonderful to use.

Last edited:

The others have already answered your questions about the DVC portion. As far as deciding which days to attend, the best bet is to go on days that the most APs are blocked out. DL crowds function differently than WDW, because the primary contributor is locals and near-locals (lot of us come down for weekends from NorCal, Az, etc).

Crowds will be lower when the SoCal AP's are blocked out, even lower when the Deluxe AP's are blocked out. Go on those days and you'll be fine. Here's a link to the calendar.

Also, since you're DVC, take advantage of the early mornings available each day, you can get so much done on those times ... that being said my advice would be to not use the Grand Californian gate to DCA first thing in the morning, the line is always long, so just walk through DTD to the front DCA gate and you'll be in in no time. The rest of the day the DCA gate is wonderful to use.

Found this earlier this year. I love the descriptions used on this DL crowd predictor! http://www.isitpacked.com/disneyland-crowd-forecast-predictor-calendar/

Grad nites can figure into the crowd levels too since they started allowing access to both parks. I assume they are doing the same next year but am not certain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter