Grand Californian - open by mid November?

suebeelin

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone-- Random question and thoughts-- need advice. I booked at room at the end of November for my best friend from college who lives out west. I need to know by end of September whether to let her use the room that I booked there, or to bank my points. The resort has been closed. What do you all think? Will it open by November 20??!

I live in Southern California and I kind of feel that it is a 50/50 chance. Some people think it will be sooner, others that it will still be awhile. Governor Newsom is being very tight lipped about the guidance related to theme park opening, and Orange County is currently in the "purple" (widespread) category, but should move up to "red" next week.

I have a mid November reservation at VGC that I am really hoping will happen. At this point, I would be happy going just to be in a different set of 4 walls for a few days. That reservation has some banked points and some current year points that I will lose 11/30 if it does not happen. I am kind of resigned that I may lose some points.

I have been wondering about this, too. I have a reservation in the middle of October and another one for Halloween. I am wondering if there is a snowball's chance they will be open?

There are rumors floating around about a phased reopening beginning end of this month. However, I don't believe that'll be the case. There are a lot of logistics and retraining involved and my DIL who is on furlough as a DL CM hasn't received any notice they way she did with the prior planned opening that was pulled back. Once she receives her first notice, then that's a sign that it's actually happening soon.

+1. Pretty please Castillo Mom. :)

I'm back! I forgot to mention that my boss moonlights as a DLR CM and last week, some of his coworkers in custodial got called back. Yesterday, some info was disseminated to CMs regarding safety precautions once they get called back. Signs have been erected in the esplanade reminding guests about social distancing, self-parking kiosks also installed in one of the lots and signage in the tram area reminding guests that park reservations are required. Music emanating from DCA could also be heard from the esplanade and DCA signage above the turnstiles were also lit. Long story short, something is happening.

I'm back! I forgot to mention that my boss moonlights as a DLR CM and last week, some of his coworkers in custodial got called back. Yesterday, some info was disseminated to CMs regarding safety precautions once they get called back. Signs have been erected in the esplanade reminding guests about social distancing, self-parking kiosks also installed in one of the lots and signage in the tram area reminding guests that park reservations are required. Music emanating from DCA could also be heard from the esplanade and DCA signage above the turnstiles were also lit. Long story short, something is happening.
oooooo, aaahhhhhhh....exciting! And tons of press. Lots of articles in local news about theme parks pressing Gov. Newsom to open the parks.

Dumped my VGC rez from Jan. 5-6 a few weeks ago due to the uncertainty. My daughter's birthday week. Kind of glad we did goin' back to WDW for that full week with 3 days at the Riv (stoked) and the last 4 nights at VGF. Super stoked especially since we switched with about 4 months out. Live on the burning West Coast but still love WDW better...Less AP holders to deal with...Better restaurants and with variety...Too bad my daughter wants to eat at that McDonald's on I-Drive that has a pizza oven...and an upstairs that looks like Chuck-E-Cheese. Only in Orlando

Castillo Mom,

Thanks for the update! I ended up canceling the mid Oct reservation, but I still have the end of month Oct reservation that I am letting a family member use. That sounds very encouraging!

oooooo, aaahhhhhhh....exciting! And tons of press. Lots of articles in local news about theme parks pressing Gov. Newsom to open the parks.

I have a neutral viewpoint about all of this, but what I will say is that even though the governor is being pretty tight-lipped on reopening, the public pressure being placed on him is certainly mounting. There's also a lot of recent activity at DLR and information alerts going out to CMs that wasn't happening before, it seems as if parks could open before end of year. We shall see!

I just spoke with member services regarding my upcoming reservation (a family member is going to use my ressie if VGC is open). She said VGC reservations are now cancelled through the 22nd of Oct. (they do the cancellations every Thurs). So, it looks like we will know for sure in a couple of weeks...

Does anyone have any updates (if no updates-- how about a good rumor)?

The Governor has basically said that opening theme parks are not a priority and that they are abiding by health and safety guidance is number one and they will be stubborn about opening. Disneyland fought back with a message from their Chief Medical Officer basically saying that they disagree with that assessment. There are 2 long threads on the Disneyland Board (one is the facts with the current info on page 1 and the other is a speculation thread). Both have a ton of information.

Does anyone have any updates (if no updates-- how about a good rumor)?

No good rumors on my end. My DIL who works in SWGE was called back two weeks ago, but to assigned to retail in DTD. DLR has implemented protocols for the safety of their CMs and the public, one that she feels very comfortable with. She has underlying conditions and has been very careful with following the guidelines outside of work, so there's no way she would've gone back had she felt that her employer was putting anyone at risk. She's very proud to work for DLR what management has implemented and is frustrated that they're not being allowed to reopen. And so we wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!