Grand Californian - open by mid November?

It’s going to open up soon after something we can’t talk about here. No matter what happens

Interesting! I have no idea what you're referring to and see that you can't give details, so I'll have to search Google and do my own research. Thanks for the tidbit of info! :)

Edited to add: Ah, I figured it out. Actually, before I could even Google, my DIL sent me a link to a news article. Not sure if the news that came out this morning was what you were eluding to but I think so. If so, then I'm skeptical about a November reopening. I guess at this point, I'd be skeptical all the way up until I see the public actually walk through through those DLR gates with my own eyes. I don't want my hopes to be dashed. :(

Last edited:

I let my room go on November 20th, and kept a room for my bestie in late January. Fingers crossed, otherwise I lose 22 points (16 banked, 6 current use year but too late to bank). Hope she gets to enjoy!!

I let my room go on November 20th, and kept a room for my bestie in late January. Fingers crossed, otherwise I lose 22 points (16 banked, 6 current use year but too late to bank). Hope she gets to enjoy!!

if Disney cancels your reservation you have leverage. The 6 points you should be able to bank if Disney cancels it. I called them I want all my points back to the original year and bank my points that is from this year. I told them I’m not going to lose out on money because Disney is too chicken to open up the resort.

Calif gov is sending group to dw to see how they are handling pandemic. If report is good, Dec could be reopening..

It was just reported that the Governor is going to keep VGC closed through the spring of 2021.....:(

VGC ans GC can legally open right now. Most of the amenities can open in severely cut back forms. The pools are the most restricted in certain respects - those owners who say things like "at least we can enjoy the pool" would find that saying false as no pool loungers or tables can be out, even for use while masked.

The governor has said the theme parks cannot open until the counties are yellow. But hotels have been permitted to operate under all phases.

I saw that Disney, universal, and Knott’s are ramping up to sue California over this. They should have just pulled an Elon musk and opened up months ago. I hope people are watching carefully and see the difference between Florida and California and see that the policies being pursued in California are those of destruction.

VGC ans GC can legally open right now. Most of the amenities can open in severely cut back forms. The pools are the most restricted in certain respects - those owners who say things like "at least we can enjoy the pool" would find that saying false as no pool loungers or tables can be out, even for use while masked.

The governor has said the theme parks cannot open until the counties are yellow. But hotels have been permitted to operate under all phases.

Can you point me to something that says the pools cannot open at a hotel? The pools in my condo community opened months ago. Loungers are spread out more and are cleaned every 2 hours. I tried looking at the guidance and don't see anything about pools not being ok to open at a hotel. Just standard pool guidance about physical distancing of loungers and trying to maintain distance. Oh and no water slides. I read over the guidance and as near as I can tell the hotel with the pools would be able to open. I would use my November reservation to use my dvc points up that are expiring. A couple days away from home with 4 different walls sounds heavenly right about now.

Can you point me to something that says the pools cannot open at a hotel? The pools in my condo community opened months ago. Loungers are spread out more and are cleaned every 2 hours. I tried looking at the guidance and don't see anything about pools not being ok to open at a hotel. Just standard pool guidance about physical distancing of loungers and trying to maintain distance. Oh and no water slides. I read over the guidance and as near as I can tell the hotel with the pools would be able to open. I would use my November reservation to use my dvc points up that are expiring. A couple days away from home with 4 different walls sounds heavenly right about now.

Pools can be opened, but the guidance for Anaheim is pretty specific about no food service, no drinking fountains, masks. The rules on loungers seem to vary between private and public pools.

If VGC only were to open, the pools would not open. 48 DVC units cannot support the expenses of the GC pools, which are normally super-majority funded by the 948 hotel units of the Grand Californian. The pools opening would be dependent on Disney opening the hotel, and not just the DVC.

I find the odds of Disney opening the hotel pretty low if they cannot open the theme parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!