Grand Californian Super Thread

What type of room? I am curious how bad the noise is for Standard Rooms (particularly, at night) with the porte cochere construction.

Wait...they are working on the hotel at NIGHT?! Aren't they supposed to stop at the end of the normal work day so people can have quiet to sleep?

Wait...they are working on the hotel at NIGHT?! Aren't they supposed to stop at the end of the normal work day so people can have quiet to sleep?
I have not seen or heard any work at night.

The Port Cochere project seems to be going very slowly. When I visited in August (day trip) there was no work being done, and this past week just a few workmen (no noise).

The Pool Bar is proceeding faster, with most of the noisy demolition work already done. The trees and planters have already been removed.

Talking about that port cochere work, I'm somewhat concerned that it will slow down our getting into the park on Dapper Day since we don't arrive at the GCH until early afternoon. The good thing is, we will not be driving ourselves but are being dropped off by Karmel Shuttle. I hope that the shared vans will be able to get us closer to the entrance or at least expedite the check-in experience. And then, if our room is not ready, we will have to wait longer to dress for the event and go into DL. I know, first world problems, but you pay to fly across the country and you want things to be "supercalifragilistic"!

We were there a week ago. We stayed in a standard room, there was no noise at all. Our shuttle dropped us extremely close to the entrance, so the construction was not a problem, I didn’t really even notice it. It was our first visit to a Disney hotel, and I was thoroughly impressed. I think we would have appreciated the white water snacks, as the offering at the lounge was limited, muffins, croissants and fruit, but still provided free coffee. I didn’t notice construction near the pool, even though it was probably there. We had a great time at the pool and certainly weren’t bothered by noise or anything.

You had me at "free coffee"! The muffins are secondary...:coffee: I appreciated these comments about the noise level. We are checking in 2 weeks from tomorrow, and I was concerned about that, and the distance from the entrance we'd be dropped off.

Talking about that port cochere work, I'm somewhat concerned that it will slow down our getting into the park on Dapper Day since we don't arrive at the GCH until early afternoon. The good thing is, we will not be driving ourselves but are being dropped off by Karmel Shuttle. I hope that the shared vans will be able to get us closer to the entrance or at least expedite the check-in experience. And then, if our room is not ready, we will have to wait longer to dress for the event and go into DL. I know, first world problems, but you pay to fly across the country and you want things to be "supercalifragilistic"!
I don’t see why the construction would impact your check in time or the availability of getting a room early. If there isn’t a room available when you show up then the bathrooms in the lobby are more than large enough to change & get ready in (I’ve seem plenty of girls styling their hair & doing their makeup in there in the past). Then just drop your bags at the front desk for storage & you are free to go enjoy the parks right away.

I don’t see why the construction would impact your check in time or the availability of getting a room early. If there isn’t a room available when you show up then the bathrooms in the lobby are more than large enough to change & get ready in (I’ve seem plenty of girls styling their hair & doing their makeup in there in the past). Then just drop your bags at the front desk for storage & you are free to go enjoy the parks right away.
Yes, I've since found this out when I called the GCH directly. The CM told me what you did. I just would rather not have to open my suitcase until we are checked into the room.

Talking about that port cochere work, I'm somewhat concerned that it will slow down our getting into the park on Dapper Day since we don't arrive at the GCH until early afternoon. The good thing is, we will not be driving ourselves but are being dropped off by Karmel Shuttle.
Shuttles likely use the same drop-off location as rideshares, which has not moved even with the port cochere construction. The temporary unload area is only and extra 270 feet from the hotel entrance.
gch_temp.jpg

The construction walls were being rearranged (2 weeks ago), perhaps to allow cars to pass through the port cochere construction.
gch_pc2.jpg

The current arrangement only allows 2 lanes of cars, 1 often occupied by rideshares/taxis.
Which causes cars to backup onto Disneyland Drive during peak periods.
gch_pc1.jpg

Do you know the cost of the washers and dryers?
I don't know.

Some additional information (previously posted).
Links show real-time status, but GCH seems down.

A small laundry room is on the first floor near the VGC elevators (a short zig-zag through a few hallways).
There are 2 washers and 4 dryers
This laundry room is usually not locked. The seldom used barbecue patio is nearby (if you plan on waiting).

There is also large laundry room on the second floor near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose.
There are 6 washers and 13 dryers
This laundry room requires a room key to access.

edit: updated counts, and GCH status is working
I reported the status issue to LaundryView, and they quickly fixed it.

Last edited:
I'm fairly sure this is possible but just wanted to double check - can I check-in incredibly early on check-in day (like 6am), and then head straight for EMH (which will be 7-8am) that day?

(Staying off-site at Fairfield Inn before GCH, so my current plan is to walk over to the GCH at about 6am, check in, head for EMH and a bit of time in the parks until about 9-10am-ish, then go back to Fairfield Inn and grab bags, Uber over to GCH and leave bags with bell services, then head back into the parks... I guess I could also just Uber over to the GCH with bags at about 6am too though, but worried that packing up everything so early might take too much time and make me late for EMH!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter