Grand Californian Super Thread

Thanks again, twodogs, for the room info. Are the sinks behind a door in the King/daybed/sleeper chair rooms or are they still in the room as in other room configurations?
The sinks are behind the doors, as is the shower and the toilet. The entire bathroom is enclosed behind the two sliding doors in the room we had last week.

I tried this on a new thread, but didn't get much feedback so I thought this might be a better place. I am going to EMH on Halloween which is a Thursday and plan to stay at the GCH for 3 or 4 nights. I won’t get to the DLR area until 10:45 pm Wed night. I'll have a standard room (any view is fine) and the critical issue is location: I want it to be next to the Napa Rose elevators.

Is it better to stay nearby and arrive early in the morning (6 am or so) to check in or do you think my chances are about the same of getting my room location if I arrive at the GCH the night before?
I answered on your other thread, but I will add in here; I think earlier is always better for your options. You will still likely have to wait until regular check in time to get your room, but you will have more options to start with. Tell them that near Napa Rose elevators is your only request, to make it more likely to happen. And then check your room asap once they send you the room-ready text!! Again, sooner gives you more options if the room is not what you are wanting after you see it (or they just get it plain wrong, like they did with our room last week).

We are getting closer to our Sept 2-7 stay! I am still hoping perhaps something might come along to get us a better rate then our current $7K club level premium view rate!! If not, then we are prepared to suck it up and pay the big bucks for our once In a lifetime stay! We will be adding our boys to our room (26/23) so they can share the CL lounge and pool with us. (They won’t be sleeping there, they’ll be staying across the street at The BWPPI) now will we still be able to request a king bed room if there’s 4 attached to the room? Also what request should I note if I want a view of the Mickey wheel/ pier? Is this a good area of the hotel to request this view or are we better off requesting something else? I just think that view is so picturesque 😊. I don’t want a long walk to my room from the lounge or lobby though.... a little walk is fine, just not miles of endless corridors lol 😂
You can request whatever bedding you like, as long as the room can accommodate the number of people you have listed on the reservation. The king rooms sleep 4 because of the fold down bed and the fold out chair, so you are good (I don’t think you can get this room type if 5 are listed on the reservation). But there are many more rooms with either 2 queens or 2 queens and a day bed (per people on this thread that know a lot more about GCH than I do!), so the King bed is difficult to get. If there is a convention in the hotel when you are there, they get preference for the King rooms as well. So ask for it and see what happens! With premium view and CL, they may try to put you on the floor with the lounge, and combining that restriction, with the limitation of getting that view, you may not be pulling from a very large pool of King rooms at all, however. So, I guess be prepared to make a choice if they say you can downgrade the view and/or not be on the floor of the CL lounge to get a King if there aren’t any kings that meet your other criteria.

Thank you, twodogs! The King room sounds perfect for us! I much prefer to have the sinks behind the door with the toilet and shower, and our kids would rather not share a bed. I'll call tomorrow and make the request and keep my fingers crossed. And now I know to try to check in early as well! I really appreciate the advice!

Thank you, twodogs! The King room sounds perfect for us! I much prefer to have the sinks behind the door with the toilet and shower, and our kids would rather not share a bed. I'll call tomorrow and make the request and keep my fingers crossed. And now I know to try to check in early as well! I really appreciate the advice!
You are welcome and fingers crossed you get this room. I think it will work perfectly for your family’s situation. It is by far the best configuration we can have at DLR.

The sinks are behind the doors, as is the shower and the toilet. The entire bathroom is enclosed behind the two sliding doors in the room we had last week.
That is not the typical layout, and was likely a Handicap Accessible room. There are several different HA room layouts and features (tub with bench, roll-in shower, lower beds, open closets, king bed near balcony...).
Non-HA rooms with have the sinks open to the room and a pocket door separating the toilet and shower (or tub).
Guests that require an HA room should book directly with the hotel (by phone), since these are guaranteed bookings (not just requests).

That is not the typical layout, and was likely a Handicap Accessible room. There are several different HA room layouts and features (tub with bench, roll-in shower, lower beds, open closets, king bed near balcony...).
Non-HA rooms with have the sinks open to the room and a pocket door separating the toilet and shower (or tub).
Guests that require an HA room should book directly with the hotel (by phone), since these are guaranteed bookings (not just requests).
I was thinking it might have been a HA room too at first, but the shower was a step in, free standing shower, definitely not roll-in. There is no way it could be HA with that type of shower. And the room with the toilet in it (which had its own door) was small, no way a wheelchair could even get through the door, let alone into the toilet room. It was a unique configuration for sure, but I am certain it was not HA. It was facing the lobby on the 3rd floor and balcony to the pool area. Loved the room!

I was thinking it might have been a HA room too at first, but the shower was a step in, free standing shower, definitely not roll-in. There is no way it could be HA with that type of shower. And the room with the toilet in it (which had its own door) was small, no way a wheelchair could even get through the door, let alone into the toilet room. It was a unique configuration for sure, but I am certain it was not HA. It was facing the lobby on the 3rd floor and balcony to the pool area. Loved the room!
What was the room number?
It might have been one of the "test" rooms, 3 were build evaluate various designs prior to the renovation.

Last edited:
You can request whatever bedding you like, as long as the room can accommodate the number of people you have listed on the reservation. The king rooms sleep 4 because of the fold down bed and the fold out chair, so you are good (I don’t think you can get this room type if 5 are listed on the reservation). But there are many more rooms with either 2 queens or 2 queens and a day bed (per people on this thread that know a lot more about GCH than I do!), so the King bed is difficult to get. If there is a convention in the hotel when you are there, they get preference for the King rooms as well. So ask for it and see what happens! With premium view and CL, they may try to put you on the floor with the lounge, and combining that restriction, with the limitation of getting that view, you may not be pulling from a very large pool of King rooms at all, however. So, I guess be prepared to make a choice if they say you can downgrade the view and/or not be on the floor of the CL lounge to get a King if there aren’t any kings that meet your other criteria.
Thank you! I will request King Bed. I’m not sure Mickey Wheel puts me in a location close to the lounge? Or if I request to be close to Napa Rose elevators would be better. I’d like to be close to the lounge but king bed is just a hope... I can sleep fine in my own Queen Bed too, lol so it’s not a huge loss if they can’t accommodate... my boys aren’t staying in our room, they’ll be staying across the road at BWPPI

What was the room number?
It might have been one of the "test" rooms, 3 were build evaluate various designs prior to the renovation.
If I remember correctly, it was 3308. It was on the hallway that “looks” into the center of the lobby.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes GCH to actually charge your card for your room? We checked out on the 28th. The authorization dropped off a few days ago and still no charge. Kind of annoyed as my credit card is offering extra points for travel this month and I want them to charge it so I can make sure to get them

Does anyone know how long it usually takes GCH to actually charge your card for your room? We checked out on the 28th. The authorization dropped off a few days ago and still no charge. Kind of annoyed as my credit card is offering extra points for travel this month and I want them to charge it so I can make sure to get them
It should have charged already. I stayed at pph last week on Thursday and Friday night and my final charge already posted.

So im staying at the GCH and have a DTD view. Is there a specific location that's better than others, we don't really mind the noise?

Also, updates on the pool bar?

The elevators near the Napa Rose were still not available on June 2; they currently only access floors 2-6.
The 2 manual hinged doors are being replaced by automatic sliding doors:
The old doors did have power assist for guests in wheelchairs and ECVs, but fully automatic doors will be much better.

So im staying at the GCH and have a DTD view. Is there a specific location that's better than others, we don't really mind the noise?
The GREEN rooms (x4xx) are above the World of Disney and overlook the tram loop, and have a nice fireworks view.
The YELLOW rooms (x1xx) are across from DTD businesses (2 story building).
Room in both wings are on floors 3-5, although DTD view might only be on 4-5.
Elevators next to Napa Rose (red circle) currently cannot access the ground floor.

Once the elevator work is done, Green would be my preference.
(However: DTD view is always a longer walk, so I don't book that view)

The GREEN rooms (x4xx) are above the World of Disney and overlook the tram loop, and have a nice fireworks view.
The YELLOW rooms (x1xx) are across from DTD businesses (2 story building).
Room in both wings are on floors 3-5, although DTD view might only be on 4-5.
Elevators next to Napa Rose (red circle) currently cannot access the ground floor.

Once the elevator work is done, Green would be my preference.
(However: DTD view is always a longer walk, so I don't book that view)
View attachment 407180
For the rooms in yellow, do you access them via the great hall and then walk down to them? I am just trying to figure out how you access the DTD view rooms? I have only ever stayed in a room that either overlooked the pier area or around the pool.

I never thought about this. Is there a stairwell in the "yellow" wing, that gives quick access to security in the morning? Next to x166, for example? Drops you into courtyard?

I sure miss the old exit in green wing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter