Grand Californian Super Thread

We are staying at the Grand Californian for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day this year. This will be our first time staying at GH. My question is would you upgrade your room view to deluxe partial view? Currently I have a standard view booked but now wondering if I upgrade for Christmas....

Thank you for any comments or insight.

I personally would not bother unless it's not much more. At GCH, the location of the room is much more important, IMO, than the view. Frankly, there aren't great views for the most part; some of the rooms can be very far away from everything so I always request a room near an elevator. Specifically, I like the rooms over the Napa Rose wing. There aren't a lot of standard view rooms there but lower floors and obstructed views = standard, so I often get what I've requested. That wing is very nice and has its own elevator bank that comes out next to Napa Rose (very close to the DCA entrance from the hotel). Many of the theme park view rooms don't give you much of a view because of the trees or they're far away. DTD view is also typically a long walk. There are nice pool view rooms and the courtyard rooms have a view of the monorail going by, but I'd still rather be close to the lobby and elevators. I do sometimes book a premium room when a special is running because there are times when the premium room is the same or close to the same price as a standard due to the way they give discounts for the premium that even it up.

I just noticed you said Christmas Eve and Christmas, so I'd definitely request something near the lobby. It's spectacular and so fun to look down at the tree, carolers, Santa, and everything going on below.

I just noticed you said Christmas Eve and Christmas, so I'd definitely request something near the lobby. It's spectacular and so fun to look down at the tree, carolers, Santa, and everything going on below.

I have had a room off the lobby during Christmas...while you are correct it is nice to look down onto all the festivities and music...it is not so nice having to hear that non stop in your room! A lot of that noise carries into the lobby facing rooms.

I agree the views at the GCH are pretty weak...I would keep the Standard and hope for a Courtyard view...that is my favorite with a the Monorail running through, the rest of the categories are not worth the price hike IMO.

We are staying at the Grand Californian for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day this year. This will be our first time staying at GH. My question is would you upgrade your room view to deluxe partial view? Currently I have a standard view booked but now wondering if I upgrade for Christmas....

Thank you for any comments or insight.
I'd keep the standard room too. We usually book standard, and have been upgraded to courtyard most of the time. Last time we received a true standard room and had a view of the parking lot/front entrance. However, this room was still a decent location, still were able to get a glimpse of the monorail, and when we sat on our balcony at night we could hear faint music coming from DtD (it was actually really nice!). We'd happily stay in that location again.

I've heard some nightmare stories of people paying a premium for a better view, only to get a view of trees.

Does anyone know the pool/hot tub hours? Can't seem to find those details online.

UPDATE: Has anyone participated in the hotel's "Rise & Stretch" class. That sounds so nice but 5:45 a.m. ...

Just thinking ... is there a hot tub at GCH? And, if so, what are the pool hours. Can't seem to find those details online.
There are 2 hot tubs. Also I believe the latest pool, based on my trip two weeks ago, was from 9 AM to 10 PM and the latest open hot tub closed at 9 PM. The other pools had earlier closing times throughout the day.

There are 2 hot tubs. Also I believe the latest pool, based on my trip two weeks ago, was from 9 AM to 10 PM and the latest open hot tub closed at 9 PM. The other pools had earlier closing times throughout the day.
OK, so if we want to get some hot tub time in to soothe away the park-day aches, we can't stay until closing. Good to know. Thanks!

Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't seem to find any information on it. Is there a grocery delivery service to GCH? We will be in the parks in the morning before check in. We are actually flying in and will not be renting a car so it will be easier for us to have small snack stuff and water delivered. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Woods/Courtyard view rooms opened up at GCH for 10/18-10/21, which is our trip. I even got the winter sale rate for Sunday night. Off to cancel the DTD view room I had booked when nothing else was available. I’m saving $600 by moving from DTD view to Woods Courtyard, and by getting the sale for Sunday night.

I am well versed in most things WDW, but have almost zero knowledge about Disneyland. A close friend is trying to get a reservation for the Grand Californian for specific dates in October 2019. All of my usual ways to find rooms are turning up nothing, including trying to book direct through the Disney website. Any tips or tricks on finding rooms there? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
This is probably a long shot, but there are DVC rental/exchange groups on FB that occasionally have confirmed reservations available for rent if the owner isn’t able to use the reservation. It’s worth a try.

We were there 2 weeks ago and used Vons (Pavillion) for grocery delivery. Arrived when they said they would and everything we ordered was there. They texted me when they arrived at the hotel and I met them down at the lobby and they brought the bags up to my room. Bell services will also bring them up for you.

We were there 2 weeks ago and used Vons (Pavillion) for grocery delivery. Arrived when they said they would and everything we ordered was there. They texted me when they arrived at the hotel and I met them down at the lobby and they brought the bags up to my room. Bell services will also bring them up for you.
The only caveat to this is that if you order alcohol you must meet the delivery person yourself -- Bell Services cannot accept alcohol for guests.

As a side note we've ordered from Prime Now with great success. I liked being able to track the driver through the app and see exactly when they were pulling in for the delivery. Another option for folks -- particularly if you already have an Amazon Prime membership. Delivery is free for orders over $35. There is usually a coupon code for $10 off for first time orders too.

Hey there, we just booked a premium view at GCH and they put us in a pool view, which is fine. They also said specifically that the room is 2 queens only, no trundle.

1. My understanding is the 2 queen rooms don't have a sleeper chair, correct?
2. Has anyone had success in calling the reservation line to move over to a theme park view? (Knowing there is no guarantees and it depends if there is a cancellation)

Hey there, we just booked a premium view at GCH and they put us in a pool view, which is fine. They also said specifically that the room is 2 queens only, no trundle.

1. My understanding is the 2 queen rooms don't have a sleeper chair, correct?
2. Has anyone had success in calling the reservation line to move over to a theme park view? (Knowing there is no guarantees and it depends if there is a cancellation)
I had to call early summer because i had made our reservation for a theme park view and they out it in as a pool view, changing itnto what i orginally thought i had told them cost an extra 100.00. The last few times our 2 queens was exactly that with a regular sofa.

Just returned from a lovely stay at the GCH. We had a standard view, but we were able to see a peek-a-boo view of the Disneyland fireworks:-). A nice treat since we got too tired to stay in the parks for them more than once.

Pool/hot tub hours were 9am- 9pm, with the Redwood pool (slide pool) open 10-6pm. I really wish they'd extend the pool hours--it would be so very nice to have a hot tub soak after a late night in the parks.

White Water Snacks is still there, that's where the free coffee for hotel guests is. The new Craftsman Lounge is lovely--great poolside lounge area, bar, and they bring you food if you are lounging around the pool. Really nice, we liked it a lot.

Bell services is awesome, super fast and friendly.

I can't imagine staying anywhere else on a trip to DL/DCA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!