Grand Californian Super Thread

Hey there, we just booked a premium view at GCH and they put us in a pool view, which is fine. They also said specifically that the room is 2 queens only, no trundle.

1. My understanding is the 2 queen rooms don't have a sleeper chair, correct?
2. Has anyone had success in calling the reservation line to move over to a theme park view? (Knowing there is no guarantees and it depends if there is a cancellation)

Last October I had a 2 queen room with a trundle bed at the GCH.

Just got back from staying at the DGC. If you are the type of person who does a load or two of laundry (think Grizzly rapids soaked clothes), I highly suggest to call the day before you go to check the status of the laundry facilities.

I can't imagine staying anywhere else on a trip to DL/DCA!

I couldn’t either so I tried staying at the Fairfield Inn Gateway property...which is probably about the same distance to The Esplanade.

Save you the long version...I need a better imagination, lol! Worth it to stay on Disney Property. Serene stroll through DTDL compared with walking through “the real world”!

I couldn’t either so I tried staying at the Fairfield Inn Gateway property...which is probably about the same distance to The Esplanade.

Save you the long version...I need a better imagination, lol! Worth it to stay on Disney Property. Serene stroll through DTDL compared with walking through “the real world”!
It was the light literally falling out of the (barely functioning) hot tub (noticed after I got into the hot tub) that sealed FI as a “nope” in my book.

Anyone know how to contact the Grand Californian. We stayed in August and they have put through a charge on my credit card despite us not charging to the room and I have no idea who or how to complain
I may be too late but call Disney and ask for the Hotel Billing telling them you have an error on your bill.

Last October I had a 2 queen room with a trundle bed at the GCH.
Thanks. I asked about that. They said that the particular room I'm booked into does not have the trundle. I should add that just had a conversation with one of the reservation agents and she explained that they are actually still two classes of rooms and the theme park view has a different price. Go figure.

Hi, all. First time to DL. Can I activate an e-ticket at the Grand Californian hotel DCA entrance or do I have to go to the main DCA park entrance? Thanks!

It seems like every time I try to rent DVC points to get a one bedroom villa at Grand Californian I have no luck. I have only successfully rented DVC at WDW. Has anyone ever had any luck? Is it something you have to do at 11 months or does 7 or less work out sometimes? We're generally looking for a 1 bedroom mid-week during off peak seasons.

Thanks!

Back in June I tried at the 7 month point for February. One of the days wasn't available and it would have meant shifting to a weekend which was more costly so I decided not to do it at that time.
I have just put in at the 11 month point for 2nd or 3rd week of Sept 2020. Its available, but the process is that they inform the owners and one of them has to decide that they want to rent to you. Its been 2 weeks now waiting and I asked them how long it usually takes. They said they have seen it take up to 2 months to secure a reservation. And sometimes the availability goes away due to owners booking it for themselves.
Probably the best strategy is to go for off season and at a time when there is no other big draw for the parks (like a new ride opening). And getting it at 7 months is like winning the lottery.
We own a villa at the Marriott in Kaanapali and I know that it may be more difficult to break up a week into smaller day allotments and actually get all those days rented. So its possible that going for a whole week or for a weekend (higher rates) would be more attractive for the owners to rent it out? Not sure what is the most likely, but there could be factors like that which would increase or decrease your likelihood.
I'm prepared to go directly to Grand Californian to get regular rooms, but it will be about 40% more expensive to do that (uggh).

I don’t think the full week thing is a factor with DVC since it’s not a a week based system. However, one thing to remember is that low season for DVC is not the same as low season for the parks-point cost per night drops when the parks are less busy so those are often higher demand times for owners to go as their points go farther.

The one place I wish I would have bought at was the Grand Californian. This is one resort where even if you own here, it's near impossible to book unless you're booking at 11 months. And if you own at the Grand Californian, you're probably not renting out those points. If they ever add DVC space at Disneyland, then it will be easier. But until then, there will always be a huge demand for space and not enough points to go around for other DVC members and renters.

And if you own at the Grand Californian, you're probably not renting out those points.

Yes, this!👆🏼 I have two VGC contracts and the bulk of our DVC points are there. I would never rent out those points, but I think sometimes people on the DVC rent/trade board have some listed.

It’s actually typically pretty easy to book VGC as an owner before the 7 month window as long as it’s not an extremely popular event (d23 Expo, runDisney weekends - perhaps on a permanent hiatus ☹️, and MM that are announced months in advance). Definitely always put your rental request in at 11 months. At 7 months it’ll be almost impossible.

Good luck with renting! The 1 bedroom is my favorite VGC villa!😍

Like above, I am a VGC owner and those points will never be available from me to rent. I use them all and if I don't, I will bank them for an extra visit for the next year. You definitely want to get your request in at 11 months, and then have to hope the rental company can find a VGC owner with enough points available willing to do the rental. At 7 months, any owner can do the rental, but the villas will be gone at 8 AM that day.

For VGC, I think you will have better luck doing the leg work and renting direct from an owner. And, if you have a good experience you may be able to make it a regular/annual agreement with the same person. The brokers just do not seem to get much inventory anymore as mentioned above. The rent/trade board here is active and there is another good one out there which I doubt I can link here.

You will likely have to pay same price as broker or maybe $0.50-$1 more per point. And you assume the risk yourself for the same cost as lower-risk broker, but most people renting out points have experience and plenty of references. Just have to do the homework. I would start watching for listings at 12 months and make contact with any listings of interest starting 11.5 months. It doesn't need to happen right at 11 months for 1-bedroom, I would say 8 to 11 months to be safe except for the absolute peak period. That does not apply to studios, those go faster as mentioned.

It used to be much easier pre-2012. But, like the rest of DLR, when Carsland opened the word got out and rental demand went vertical combined with lack of supply. Good luck hope you find one

My understanding is that VGC is the toughest resort to get into. I'm not sure if it's still true but I believe at one point they even closed the waitlist to buy VGC points direct.

Based on that your only shot is going to be putting in your request ahead of 11 months. Davids for example will let you submit a request ahead of 11 months and then if you're lucky they might get an owner lined up to book for you right at 11 months.

Demand way outstrips supply in this case.

I think you will be very very lucky if you manage to rent VGC. You would need an owner there and the points are the most exoensive so people tend to use them themselves.

Just to provide another experience - while I can't speak for seven months, we were able to get a reservation at about 9.5 months out (I submitted a request in late-ish March 2019 for early January 2020, got confirmation that I had a reservation about three weeks later). So yes, early planning is key, but it is possible to get something even if you don't book at exactly the eleven month mark.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!