Grand Californian Super Thread Updated 11/7/13

Poppins2010

Mouseketeer
I'm staying at the GCH for the first time in March. I reserved a "courtyard view" room. Is there a certain area of this large hotel that I should request? I am a bit overwhelmed by the length of the GCH superthread to find suggestions ~ Its just my DH and I. What wing do you like?

PHXscuba

Mouseketeer since birth!
We had a "courtyard/woods view" and got a room on the third floor overlooking the monorail courtyard. It was just steps from the elevator on the north side of the lobby. Great access to the parks, loved sitting on the tiny balcony watching the monorail whoosh through.

PHXscuba

Geemo

DIS Veteran
I'm staying at the GCH for the first time in March. I reserved a "courtyard view" room. Is there a certain area of this large hotel that I should request? I am a bit overwhelmed by the length of the GCH superthread to find suggestions ~ Its just my DH and I. What wing do you like?
Ask for a room near the lobby or an elevator.
Our first time at the GCH we had a room that took longer to walk to from the lobby than it took to walk from the hotel to the gates.

• Save up to 25% in Early 2020!
    Visit the Disneyland Resort in early 2020 and save up to 25% on a stay at the Disneyland Resort Hotels.
    This offer must be booked by 03/14/20, with travel completed by 04/17/20. This offer is good most nights 01/05/20 to 04/16/20!
    Click Here for Details

• azdisneylover

DIS Veteran
    There are maps of the hotel in the GCH superthread that will show you the layout of the rooms, where the elevators are, where the ice machines w/microwaves are, etc. This may help you decide what room to request.
    Hope you have a great time.

Carrie in AZ

DIS Veteran
    We’ll be staying at GCH in a few weeks. Stayed there before and love it. We won’t be getting there until around 9 or 10 pm. Hoping to get a room in a certain area. Do you think our chances are less if checking in late?
    I worry about this, too, for our upcoming trip. I mean, if they don’t have the inventory then, then they just don’t and not much they can do. I understand your feelings.

• bayareadisneyland

Mouseketeer
    Haven’t stayed in a few years -maybe six. Have a few questions:

1. Has the hotel become quieter now that foot traffic can’t cross through from the street? I used to never use the entrance into the parks from the grand (always went through DtD)- is security better now?

2. Any info on the rooms with day beds or tricks to requesting?

3. I like to shower/ blow dry in the afternoon once my kids are down for nap. If husband watches them in the room- is there a bathroom somewhere where I can blow dry? The gym maybe?

Any other tricks or thoughts?

Nonsuch

DIS Veteran
    1. Has the hotel become quieter now that foot traffic can’t cross through from the street? I used to never use the entrance into the parks from the grand (always went through DtD)- is security better now?
    There is somewhat less non-guest traffic.
    2. Any info on the rooms with day beds or tricks to requesting?
    The renovation increased the number of daybed rooms from 39 to 300.
    Listing a party of 5 on your reservation might help receiving 2 queens and a daybed. There are also rooms with 1 king, 1 sleeper chair, and a daybed.
    You should request a daybed in advance.
    3. I like to shower/ blow dry in the afternoon once my kids are down for nap. If husband watches them in the room- is there a bathroom somewhere where I can blow dry? The gym maybe?
    The gym has been expanded and relocated to the former Pinocchios Workshop location, and there are restrooms (although I have not seen the layout).
    The restrooms inside the pool area have showers, and might be an option (particularly in cold weather, when the pool is not busy).

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates