Grand Californian Super Thread

Lounge looks pretty nice. How crowded was it in there? Looks rather empty. How was the food? Awesome view!

Well, this is how I feel about it.
People tout the Grand as being SO close. The closest!

I think most of the time when people are "touting" that GC is so close, they are comparing it to other WDW hotels or DVC. At WDW, you have to either take a bus, monorail or walk farther to a park than VGC or GCH is to the inside DCA entrance.

I will say that if you aren't paying attention to where you are going, you could easily add a lot more footsteps to your trip.

I think most of the time when people are "touting" that GC is so close, they are comparing it to other WDW hotels or DVC. I'm going to disagree with this. There are a lot more local people that go to DLR than WDW. Even the CMs, if you look at the name tags, there are a lot more local CMs at DLR than at WDW. This being said I think that in this comparison, Molly is comparing the other DLR and Good Neighbor Hotels to the GC. Now going back to the long hall ways, I think the point of her post was to point out how ironic it is that the GC the "closest" of all the hotels has such long hallways that they are nearly equal to the walk from the park to other hotels. BUT! I could be way off base here and not know what I'm talking about. :confused3 At WDW, you have to either take a bus, monorail or walk farther to a park than VGC or GCH is to the inside DCA entrance.

I will say that if you aren't paying attention to where you are going, you could easily add a lot more footsteps to your trip.

See red text above^

I don't mean to drill your post kikiq, I just get into it sometimes.

See red text above^

I don't mean to drill your post kikiq, I just get into it sometimes.

Hey, don't worry. I knew I shouldn't have put any WDW references, it just throws folks off. I did realize bumbershoot was talking about DLR and Good Neighbor hotels. I'll put myself in the camp of yes there's a long walk but you are onsite and indoors.

We only live 20 minutes away and love the GCH/VGC. It might be my bad, as I read Dis DVC and Disneyland and may have gotten my folks mixed up. We use to stay at the Marriott when they had the weekend deals. But ever since our first stay at the GCH, we haven't been back even to the Disneyland Hotel.

Thanks for this thread.

Hey, don't worry. I knew I shouldn't have put any WDW references, it just throws folks off. I did realize bumbershoot was talking about DLR and Good Neighbor hotels. I'll put myself in the camp of yes there's a long walk but you are onsite and indoors.

We only live 20 minutes away and love the GCH/VGC. It might be my bad, as I read Dis DVC and Disneyland and may have gotten my folks mixed up. We use to stay at the Marriott when they had the weekend deals. But ever since our first stay at the GCH, we haven't been back even to the Disneyland Hotel.

Thanks for this thread.

I'll agree with you there. How was your stay at VGC?

People tout the Grand as being SO close. The closest! But then it's difficult to get into.

I admit there is a bit of a misnomer in calling GCH the closest hotel. The GCH is only the closest hotel if you are talking about the DLR resort in general. If you are talking about round trips to Disneyland then BWPPI or Park View inn is closer. The closest room from BWPPI to the closest turnstile is about 1100 feet. The closest GCH room (both ways) would be x000 or x024 and would be about 1300 feet. Now let's look at California Adventure; BWPPI to DCA turnstiles the closest room is 1300 feet. From GCH the closest room is only 200ft. The same goes for Downtown Disney. We'll measure to the UVA Bar Since thats pretty much in the center. 2500 feet to BWPPI and only 300 feet to GCH... Here my table:

Code:
		[B]DL[/B]	[B]DCA[/B]	[B]DD-UVA[/B]
[B]BWPPI[/B]		1100	1300	2500
[B]GCH - Closest[/B]	1300¹	200	300	
[B]GCH - Average[/B]	1600	600	700	
[B]GCH - Furthest[/B]	1900	1000²	800	
[B]HOJO[/B]		2400	2500	3700

¹ 600 feet If you are just going to the park, but it will be a long way back
² 800 feet if you cut through the pool near White Water Snacks
*All Distances +-50 Feet... I round up or down!

I admit there is a bit of a misnomer in calling GCH the closest hotel. The GCH is only the closest hotel if you are talking about the DLR resort in general. If you are talking about round trips to Disneyland then BWPPI or Park View inn is closer. The closest room from BWPPI to the closest turnstile is about 1100 feet. The closest GCH room would be x000 or x024 would be about 1300 feet. Now let's look at California Adventure; BWPPI to DCA turnstiles the closest room is 1300 feet. From GCH the closest room is only 200ft. The same goes for Downtown Disney. We'll measure to the UVA Bar Since thats pretty much in the center. 2500 feet to BWPPI and only 300 feet to GCH... Here my table:

Code:
		[B]DL[/B]	[B]DCA[/B]	[B]DD-UVA[/B]
[B]BWPPI[/B]		1100	1300	2500
[B]GCH - Closest[/B]	1300¹	200	300	
[B]GCH - Average[/B]	1600	600	700	
[B]GCH - Furthest[/B]	1900	1000²	800	
[B]HOJO[/B]		2500	2600	3800

¹ 600 feet If you are just going to the park, but it will be a long way back
² 800 feet if you cut through the pool near White Water Snacks
*All Distances +-50 Feet... I round up or down!

Duck, you continue to amaze me. Great info there! Do you mind if I put this table up?

Does anyone know if the luggage dudes will move us to PP or DLH if we decided to split stays trip after next?

Jack

Hey it's your thread... You can do whatever you want with it! ;)

Thanks
hug.gif

I'll agree with you there. How was your stay at VGC?

Our first VGC stay was for our January birthdays. We stayed at the GCH the last 2 years. Loved the studio, it was nice to have more room. Just wish it wasn't so many points.

Studios have couch and bed
IMG_2201.jpg

only one sink
IMG_2203.jpg

nice kitchenette
IMG_2205.jpg

We had both DDs, DGD, brother and sil visit us, and didn't feel crowded.

Year before last we had a GCH room overlooking DTD, stayed for the half marathon. Both DDs were with us. In the regular hotel rooms, it's cozy for 4 adults.
IMG_1235.jpg

Last year's birthday GCH room
IMG_0787.jpg

The Concierge Lounge was really not crowded..people would come and go and it was well used, but never felt crowded. There is also a nice little balcony eating area outside that we used a couple mornings. Very nice experience.

The Concierge Lounge was really not crowded..people would come and go and it was well used, but never felt crowded. There is also a nice little balcony eating area outside that we used a couple mornings. Very nice experience.

I'll have to check that out. Sounds really nice

I am looking forward to our stay at GCV in September. Do the resorts offer refillable mugs? Thanks! :mickeybar :mickeybar :mickeybar

I am looking forward to our stay at GCV in September. Do the resorts offer refillable mugs? Thanks! :mickeybar :mickeybar :mickeybar

From what I understand, DLR does not have the refillable mugs like WDW. I have not seen these available the last few years. Hopefully some one else chimes in.

Jack

In case the Disney SuperPowers are lurking, I would love to see refillable mugs at the DL hotels. Disney folks, listen up. Every time I go into a snack shop to fill up my mug, I stop and look at all of the conveniently placed merchandise and more often then not, buy some overpriced sentimental souvie. What you lose on refills (which I doubt is anything at all) you gain in impulse buys.

I'd be happy even if they only let us refill at White Water Snacks. Plus... If I'm walking all the way down there ya know I'm buying a cheeseburger! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!