Grand Californian Super Thread

Deleted, was just a non constructive vent on my part. Sorry all.

Aby

Last edited:
I just wanted to give an update on Hearthstone Lounge offerings while Whitewater Snacks is closed. We just checked in last night. If I had not been doing my research here, I would have had no idea the quick serivce option was closed. Never notifed prior to arrival and was not mentioned at check in. I had read here there would be options in Hearthstone for breakfast. Just wanted to warn selection is severely limited. Had choice of a few muffins, premade fruit plates, some whole fruits, and yogurt parfaits. I just wanted to let people know what is being offered and unless you want breakfast buffet every morning, you would need to look elsewhere. They did have complementary coffee available.

Oh no! I am very disappointed to hear that they are offering nothing substantial for breakfast. Where else to go nearby for an early breakfast... 6-7 AM, something with protein? Never been to GCH so do they have room service? If yes, for breakfast?

Yes...anyone can enter GCH from DTD or DCA at any time. Only restriction is entering through the front doors from the street for non GCH guests...they must go around through DTD.

What about returning to DTD or DCA from GCH if you are a visitor.
Is this possible?
I assume you show your park ticket, anything else?

Last edited:
What about returning to DTD or DCA from GCH if you are a visitor.
Is this possible?
I assume you show your park ticket, anything else?

They will scan your ticket and you will go through security when returning to either DCA or DTD.

...Is there still no online or pre check-in at VGC?
There is no online check-on (or pre check-in).
Considering VGC is so small compared to the overall size of GCH, it seems unlikely online check-in will be added -- until there is online check-in for the entire hotel.

We just returned from three nights at the GC and I think that Disney has failed to inform guests of the impact of the construction. The porte cochere construction impacts the standard rooms at the front of the hotel and has slowed down access to the hotel. It took us 25 minutes to make the left turn into the hotel from Disneyland Dr around 5:30 Saturday night and it took 45 min to get our car and bags when leaving at 1:15 on Sunday. The Storyteller construction had a significant impact on our pool day with jack hammering all afternoon. I would be upset if I paid for a pool view that came with construction views and noise. If I were making a GC reservation anytime during the next few months, I would try for a courtyard/woods or theme park view to try to stay away from the construction.

How do you self park at the GCH? If we self park and then walk over to the hotel to check in won't they ask for our room key? Or do we need our room key to be allowed in the self park lot?

We will keep our luggage in our car since we will be arriving about 6 am so we know the room won't be ready, but we want to do magic morning.

Do we just need our room key to exit and enter the lot or will they give us some separate ticket?

We just returned from three nights at the GC and I think that Disney has failed to inform guests of the impact of the construction. The porte cochere construction impacts the standard rooms at the front of the hotel and has slowed down access to the hotel. It took us 25 minutes to make the left turn into the hotel from Disneyland Dr around 5:30 Saturday night and it took 45 min to get our car and bags when leaving at 1:15 on Sunday. The Storyteller construction had a significant impact on our pool day with jack hammering all afternoon. I would be upset if I paid for a pool view that came with construction views and noise. If I were making a GC reservation anytime during the next few months, I would try for a courtyard/woods or theme park view to try to stay away from the construction.
I stayed over Columbus Day weekend, and did not receive any notice of construction (of course I'm aware what is happening). I agree that Disney should send out information to guests prior to arrival.

The Porte Cochere construction is slowing down arrivals, and I have heard reports of hour long waits on Friday evenings. Bell Service is slowed, since the unload area is a greater distance from luggage storage and hotel rooms.

The small cost to upgrade to courtyard/woods view will avoid looking out at Porte Cochere construction.
Premium View combines both Park and Pool view, so that expensive upgrade risks a view of Pool construction.

How do you self park at the GCH? If we self park and then walk over to the hotel to check in won't they ask for our room key? Or do we need our room key to be allowed in the self park lot?
We will keep our luggage in our car since we will be arriving about 6 am so we know the room won't be ready, but we want to do magic morning.
Do we just need our room key to exit and enter the lot or will they give us some separate ticket?
This is the process I recommend:
(sorry if this is overly detailed)
  1. Drive to the GCH entrance from Disneyland Drive, and tell the CM a the gate you are checking in.
  2. You will be directed to the temporary unloading area near the convention center.
  3. CM will greet you and ask if you need assistance with luggage or valet parking.
  4. Let the CM know you will be self-parking, and have Bell Services take your luggage.
  5. Leave you car at the unload area
  6. Enter the hotel and check-in to receive your room keys (no line at 6AM)
  7. Return to your car and drive to self-parking (immediate left from the unload area)
  8. Show room key at self parking lot, and use key to open second gate for dedicated GCH area (attendant usually opens the gate).
  9. Walk back from self parking lot, and use room key to open pedestrian gate.
  10. Enjoy Extra Magic Hour
  11. When room is ready, you will receive a text (or phone call) and may go directly to your room (no need to return to registration).
  12. While in your room, call Bell Services for your luggage.

We will be there in 60 days. Will this still be a problem then do you think? Should we switch to Disneyland hotel?

Sorry to be vague. The construction noise. We are booked for a standard room. And This is a splurge to stay in this hotel so really don’t want to feel disappointed

I might call the hotel directly and ask when they expect the projects to be done. Even if they are done with the porte cochere project in 60 days, I don't see the pool area being completed and or any quick service dining being available. When we stay at the Grand, we realize that we are paying for proximity and ease of access to the parks. That helps us deal with any other issues we have there. I don't think we would have booked there if we had a full understanding of how our stay would be impacted. I'd rather walk further from the Disneyland hotel or Paradise Pier and avoid the jack hammers.

I might call the hotel directly and ask when they expect the projects to be done.

I'll also be there in two months, so I called and asked two days ago. The CM I spoke with said that they initially expected the porte cochere to be complete in November, but that there's been some kind of hiccup with the steel they needed, so now they're shooting for December. He also gave December as the probable timing for White Water Snacks opening back up.

I'll take that with a major grain of salt. When we were there last October, the lobby construction was supposed to be finished, but no dice.

Originally the Port Cochere was supposed to be done in September. I'm very sad that it will still be going on now until December.

I'll also be there in two months, so I called and asked two days ago. The CM I spoke with said that they initially expected the porte cochere to be complete in November, but that there's been some kind of hiccup with the steel they needed, so now they're shooting for December. He also gave December as the probable timing for White Water Snacks opening back up.

I'll take that with a major grain of salt. When we were there last October, the lobby construction was supposed to be finished, but no dice.

Yikes on bikes! What a bummer. We are booked for a standard room the second week of November. I understand that construction will be ongoing but I seriously hope extra loud construction like jackhammering is finished by the time we're there. I'm sorry those of you who recently stayed at the GCH had to experience that. What an inconvenience. I guess I'll try to request a quiet room and then reiterate that at check-in, possibly upgrading to a woods/courtyard room. Is there any recourse once you're there if the noise is seriously disturbing? We'll be in the parks during the work day hours but definitely want to enjoy the pool mid-day most days. I'll be so sad if it's too noisy to relax!

I'm booked for 5 nights arriving in less than 2 weeks (Oct. 29). Ironically, I switched from the Disneyland Hotel to the Grand Calif because someone said that end of DTD would be under construction for the new hotel. Sounds like I moved into the construction zone. And the new hotel for the far end of DTD was cancelled.

Oh well it's still the Grand Californian! and it's still right next to the parks and - has it's own security. I like how DTD is now inside the secured zone. That's a change from my last trip.

What type of room? I am curious how bad the noise is for Standard Rooms (particularly, at night) with the porte cochere construction.
Courtyard view.

We could hear it this morning out on the balcony but if the sliding door was closed we couldn’t hear a thing.we could hear every word from the room next door though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!