Grand Californian Super Thread

Thank you all for the help - much appreciated! It's been a few years since we have been there and I wasn't sure

We booked a standard room last year and got upgraded to a partial view of the woods/monorail and that was awesome. Definitely enjoyed my coffee in the mornings in the balcony as the family was getting ready for magic morning/day. I used to buy the coffee at Hearthstone lounge, but now I'm going to have to check for the free coffee in the mornings at White water Snacks.

A few weeks ago coffee at White water snacks was disappointing---very weak. Had to dump it and get a cup later at Starbucks.

What about parking? Is it convenient to self park at GCH or do you recommend valet?

I love the woods view rooms, they’re my favorite! It’s so nice and relaxing to sit on the balcony with the trees, and the monorail going by... I’ll be in one this weekend and can’t wait! Near the Napa Rose elevators is best for DCA entrance, but I’ve never had a bad woods view room while staying there. I’ve never had to park a car (we fly & shuttle) but apparently the self park lot is right across the street and easy access... :)

This was our woods view last month - room was (I think) 5347, 5th floor facing Grizzly, though the trees blocked the view. The location was AWESOME, so convenient.

I think I’m general that category of room is going to be in a good location, either close to the Napa Rose elevators or the main Libby elevators.

In terms of valet vs self park, I’m spending so much on the room I may as well pay for valet, plus it’s only a few dollars more per night vs self.

3530AEFE-122C-45A8-9358-8043961A974A.jpeg

I personally book the cheapest tier (which is sometimes a high category because of the specials they run, where the standard level is the same price as the better levels because it's not discounted), and I ask for a room close to the elevators, in particular I ask for the wing over or near Napa Rose. That elevator bank is just so convenient and much less used than the main elevators. It comes out in a tiny lobby right between Storytellers and Napa Rose, so it's convenient for pool, DCA, restaurants and the main lobby. I don't care at all about the view because I've been there a lot and there isn't too much of a view IMO, plus I don't spend much time looking out at this point. I'm much more picky about the actual room location because I don't want to walk a mile to get to an elevator, which is how some of the rooms feel.

We book this view all the time! The best is when the Monorail goes right under you. It's a very cool experience to see it approach directly in front of you.
Sorry, I can't remember the room numbers. There are also some not so great views in this category, they look directly into some trees. So, technically most definitely a "woods" view, but you can't see anything else.

A room near the Napa Rose elevators is great, really easy in and out. Keep in mind, there are also Woods/Courtyard view rooms inside the main lobby of the GC.

We usually self park vs. valet. It's 25 dollars to self park in the lot across the street near Paradise Pier. Never had an issue with the parking lot being full. It's probably a five minute walk at most from the lobby entrance to crossing the street and waiting for the light to change.

I think you don't want to be above the monorail. If you get that room you don't get a balcony I do believe

This is the room type we always book, and we have overlooked the monorail many times. We have always had a walk out balcony.

I mean the exact room over the monorail. It is only like 2 rooms that are like that
Oh! I didn’t know that existed! Sounds sort of cool but I think I would rather have the balcony so I’m glad we have not received that room.

So we ended up doing valet because it was easy and I felt lazy. Our room was perfection too. Walk out balcony, above monorail (5th floor) and we even saw the fireworks! I was (magically) shocked by that!! Thank you all for the advice :)

We will be at the GCH next weekend.. so excited! Last time we stayed at the hotel was a year ago, so we haven't experienced the new White Water Snacks. I saw video from when it first reopened and it looked like it was lacking some of the stuff it originally had. Is this still true today? We used to use it as our little "grocery store" and get our bananas, kashi cereal, bagels, and such. In the video I saw it looked as though the cereal was missing .. only saw oatmeal.. and no bagels.. and overall it was looking a little more counter service than usual. Hopefully that was just the reopening phase and since then it has returned to normal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!