Grand Californian Super Thread

I didn't know you could get free coffee/tea at white water previously - missed out there!! 6 of us going next year (4 nights) so we will really make use of those extra hot drinks in the morning - I assume just help yourself and show key card if needed?
Thanks for the tip

We arrive in a couple of weeks! We have been blessed to stay at GCH before, but not since the refurb. Are there coffee pots of any sort in the rooms? Mini fridge?

Thanks!

There is a Keurig machine and coffee supplies in the rooms, as well as a mini fridge. I use Starbucks instant packets instead and use the Keurig for hot water. Works out well for me!

We arrive in a couple of weeks! We have been blessed to stay at GCH before, but not since the refurb. Are there coffee pots of any sort in the rooms? Mini fridge?

Thanks!
I think the mini fridges are smaller after the remodel just FYI (at least how it felt when we were there in Aug).

Yup just in the mornings till 11 at the Craftsman Grill (previously known as White Water Snacks). Just go to the machine and then walk to the line with the cashier. They may or may not ask for your room key but one day they did and the other two days we did not. They were different cm's manning the cashier, so bring your key just in case. They also told distomers in front of me that it was complimentary to guests. I also saw some people walk in and walk out after serving themselves coffee but don't think that is the protocol. If you're not sure, just ask the cm there.

Yeah it's a little trek to get there (and cold) since you have to go out of the hotel towards the pool. If you're close to the elevator by Napa Rose, it makes the trek that much better and closer. Wished they would just put the coffee/tea in the lobby similar to other hotels that we've been too. They could've done that at Hearthstone Lounge.

I’m trying to decide between staying at the GCH or the DLH in late April for my birthday. We’ve stayed at the DLH and loved it, but I’ve always wanted to try the GCH. However, after several visits to the lobby, common areas and restaurants, I find the hotel to be very dark and the lighting is yellow. My question is this.... are the rooms bright and airy or dark like the lobby and the rest of the hotel? With the room discounts offered we could get it for a “reasonable” price and we’ve always wanted to try it!!!

Last edited:
I’m trying to decide between staying at the GCH or the DLH in late April for my birthday. We’ve stayed at the DLH and loved it, but I’ve always wanted to try the GCH. However, after several visits to the lobby, common areas and restaurants, I find the hotel to be very dark and the lighting is yellow. My question is this.... are the rooms bright and airy or dark like the lobby and the rest of the hotel? With the room discounts offered we could get it for a “reasonable” price and we’ve always wanted to try it!!!

They were renovated and are now pretty bright. There is a LOT of accent lighting, including along the ceiling border and it offers plenty of lighting options. Not sure what you mean by "yellow" light in the lobby. It is a warm color palette, but I never felt like it was yellow. I find the DLH rooms to be pretty drab lately. They just look tired, worn, and depressing. They desperately need a refurbishment. I'd go with GCH.

I haven't been impressed with the upkeep of the DLH based on my recent stays. The furniture and carpets in the rooms have seen better days and frankly need to be refurbished. Even with the price differential I'd much rather stay at the GCH.

They were renovated and are now pretty bright. There is a LOT of accent lighting, including along the ceiling border and it offers plenty of lighting options. Not sure what you mean by "yellow" light in the lobby. It is a warm color palette, but I never felt like it was yellow. I find the DLH rooms to be pretty drab lately. They just look tired, worn, and depressing. They desperately need a refurbishment. I'd go with GCH.

I think overall the lobby just feels super dark. But as long as the rooms aren’t, great. We’ll definitely go with the GCH, we’ve been dying to try it!

I haven't been impressed with the upkeep of the DLH based on my recent stays. The furniture and carpets in the rooms have seen better days and frankly need to be refurbished. Even with the price differential I'd much rather stay at the GCH.

We really had a great experience when we stayed at the DLH in October, but I do agree with you regarding the rooms. Disney could do a really cool mid century modern decor in those rooms and it would really go with the hotel. The furniture they have in there now just doesn’t go. It’s big and clunky and tired. Hopefully they do a refurb soon!

We just stayed at the GCH in August (and the DLH last year) and I really liked the Grand rooms over DLH. There was a lot of worn spots in our room at the DLH and we were in an end room which was smaller than the GCH ones. I've stayed pre-remodel and now post and where the rest of the hotel is darker the rooms seem much brighter and quite airy than they were before. I think if you can afford to give it a try you should.

We just stayed at GCH last week for three nights and I thought our room was very bright. I love that hotel SO MUCH. There isn’t one thing I dislike and it would always be my first choice. Have a great trip no matter what you decide!

Here are a couple of pics I took during one of our stays at the GCH
a20171004_211830.jpg
a20171004_211838.jpg
I love the storage under the beds. There was also a day bed that isn't in the pic.

My question is this.... are the rooms bright and airy or dark like the lobby and the rest of the hotel?
Our experience in ~5 stays there over 5 years is that the rooms are not bright and airy. The most recent renovation did brighten up the rooms significantly, but its still not "bright and airy".

Our experience in ~5 stays there over 5 years is that the rooms are not bright and airy. The most recent renovation did brighten up the rooms significantly, but its still not "bright and airy".

Yeah, that’s just not the vibe of the hotel. I’m a Grand Floridian lover- we’ve stayed there so many times, and what I love about it is how bright and airy everything is. I think I don’t jibe as well with the woodsy theme. Wilderness Lodge has always been my least favorite deluxe resort at WDW. But I think given our choices at DLR for onsite, GCH is worth trying once at least!!!! People on here seem to love it.

We just stayed at GCH last week for three nights and I thought our room was very bright. I love that hotel SO MUCH. There isn’t one thing I dislike and it would always be my first choice. Have a great trip no matter what you decide!

We are going to try it! We are going for my 40th birthday in late April and I think it’s the best choice!

We are going to try it! We are going for my 40th birthday in late April and I think it’s the best choice!

Yay! May I suggest you request a room in the 300 wing that uses the elevators near Napa Rose. We love that location. Close to the DCA entrance and pool. We LOVE riding on GRR and quickly returning to our room to change! Quick and easy! Have so much fun!

Yay! May I suggest you request a room in the 300 wing that uses the elevators near Napa Rose. We love that location. Close to the DCA entrance and pool. We LOVE riding on GRR and quickly returning to our room to change! Quick and easy! Have so much fun!

Thank you SO much for the room tips!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!