Grand Californian Super Thread

We(me, dh, b/g/g 17yr old triplets), have stayed GCH Club level and I can say, no, we did not eat all our meals in the Club, but, it was nice to get coffee and a few items in the morning before heading to the parks. I really enjoyed sitting on the balcony, snacking and drinking while watching the Monorail go by, especially after being in the parks for hours, and wanting to go back to the room to relax (but they are a door or two down from cleaning your room). I know, you can sit in the lobby, but at times, it is very loud in there. The actual food choices didn't impress dh or ds. From what I have seen other people post, DLH Club level has a bigger selection of food items that my family would eat.
Agree on being able to sit and relax. We ate both in the club and in the parks. As to the DLH club level, we were verrryyyyy disappointed in it. Stayed five nights club level at GCH and two night DLH in December. There were nowhere near the number of options as at GCH and what we did try we were not happy with. It comes down to personal preference but we won’t be staying club level at DLH again.

Agree on being able to sit and relax. We ate both in the club and in the parks. As to the DLH club level, we were verrryyyyy disappointed in it. Stayed five nights club level at GCH and two night DLH in December. There were nowhere near the number of options as at GCH and what we did try we were not happy with. It comes down to personal preference but we won’t be staying club level at DLH again.

Oh wow, was this December, 2019?

We’ll be staying at GCH in a few weeks. Stayed there before and love it. We won’t be getting there until around 9 or 10 pm. Hoping to get a room in a certain area. Do you think our chances are less if checking in late?

I wonder why they don’t have online check in? That is a great feature at WDW. We got our room ready notification at about 8:20 in the morning before we boarded the Magical Express bus.

They do not have My Disney Experience, their computer systems are different. They don't have magic bands either, which go along with online check-in. They will text you when you room is ready, after you checkin at the front desk.

They do not have My Disney Experience, their computer systems are different. They don't have magic bands either, which go along with online check-in. They will text you when you room is ready, after you checkin at the front desk.
Sorry, I just figured that sense they both use apps it should be possible.

Last edited:

I'm staying at the GCH for the first time in March. I reserved a "courtyard view" room. Is there a certain area of this large hotel that I should request? I am a bit overwhelmed by the length of the GCH superthread to find suggestions ~ Its just my DH and I. What wing do you like?

We had a "courtyard/woods view" and got a room on the third floor overlooking the monorail courtyard. It was just steps from the elevator on the north side of the lobby. Great access to the parks, loved sitting on the tiny balcony watching the monorail whoosh through.

PHXscuba

I'm staying at the GCH for the first time in March. I reserved a "courtyard view" room. Is there a certain area of this large hotel that I should request? I am a bit overwhelmed by the length of the GCH superthread to find suggestions ~ Its just my DH and I. What wing do you like?
Ask for a room near the lobby or an elevator.
Our first time at the GCH we had a room that took longer to walk to from the lobby than it took to walk from the hotel to the gates.

There are maps of the hotel in the GCH superthread that will show you the layout of the rooms, where the elevators are, where the ice machines w/microwaves are, etc. This may help you decide what room to request.
Hope you have a great time.

We’ll be staying at GCH in a few weeks. Stayed there before and love it. We won’t be getting there until around 9 or 10 pm. Hoping to get a room in a certain area. Do you think our chances are less if checking in late?

I worry about this, too, for our upcoming trip. I mean, if they don’t have the inventory then, then they just don’t and not much they can do. I understand your feelings.

Haven’t stayed in a few years -maybe six. Have a few questions:

1. Has the hotel become quieter now that foot traffic can’t cross through from the street? I used to never use the entrance into the parks from the grand (always went through DtD)- is security better now?

2. Any info on the rooms with day beds or tricks to requesting?

3. I like to shower/ blow dry in the afternoon once my kids are down for nap. If husband watches them in the room- is there a bathroom somewhere where I can blow dry? The gym maybe?

Any other tricks or thoughts?

1. Has the hotel become quieter now that foot traffic can’t cross through from the street? I used to never use the entrance into the parks from the grand (always went through DtD)- is security better now?
There is somewhat less non-guest traffic.
2. Any info on the rooms with day beds or tricks to requesting?
The renovation increased the number of daybed rooms from 39 to 300.
Listing a party of 5 on your reservation might help receiving 2 queens and a daybed. There are also rooms with 1 king, 1 sleeper chair, and a daybed.
You should request a daybed in advance.
3. I like to shower/ blow dry in the afternoon once my kids are down for nap. If husband watches them in the room- is there a bathroom somewhere where I can blow dry? The gym maybe?
The gym has been expanded and relocated to the former Pinocchios Workshop location, and there are restrooms (although I have not seen the layout).
The restrooms inside the pool area have showers, and might be an option (particularly in cold weather, when the pool is not busy).

Sorry thought if one more question! How fast is it to get through security in the am? I was pleasantly surprised last spring at the harbor security- toms of open lanes and never waited more than 15 mins. Thinking it could be much slower getting through from the grand- not as many lanes but not as many people either?

Sorry thought if one more question! How fast is it to get through security in the am? I was pleasantly surprised last spring at the harbor security- toms of open lanes and never waited more than 15 mins. Thinking it could be much slower getting through from the grand- not as many lanes but not as many people either?
When we went Memorial Day weekend, it was never more then 5 minutes to get through security. Usually there was only 2 or so people ahead of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!