Grand Californian Super Thread

Here is the link to the GCH Superthread. I think I have it on the page that shows the layout of the hotel. The number of the building is the first number of the room (example - 235) and the floor is the first number of the room (example - 4235). I hope the maps help you see the layout so you can make the best reservation for your family. For me, I like staying in the rooms above the lobby, close to the entrance doors (001) because we are close to the elevators and path to DTD. It is a little walk to DCA entrance, but for standard rooms, two out of three isn't bad. There are a lot of places in this hotel and people watch, enjoy music, etc.
Have fun planning!

I was so excited to have something of value to post, I forgot to link it here! Sorry, here it is,

https://www.disboards.com/threads/grand-californian-super-thread.2396588/

This thread is full of great information as well as tips, ideas, and pictures. If you have any other questions, please ask away.

Uhhh...FYI, you just posted a link to THIS thread...
I had created a separate post asking which room views had the best value, which was merged with this Superthread. It's easy to confuse threads which have been merged. I understood what they meant and appreciated the very helpful tips and info they provided, since it seems like once something gets moved into a superthread the question gets lost.

DH and I are planning our second trip to Disneyland in Sept 2021 for our 40th Anniversary. Our last time was in 2011 for our 30th. Our son and daughter and their spouses will be joining us so we are hoping to score a 3bedroom Grand Villa. Since its been 10 yrs I was curious if the view had changed due to tree growth. Does anyone have pics of the view from the GVs or any of the Paradise Pier view rooms on the 5th floor? I have been looking in the thread but have had no luck finding any.

TIA😎

DH and I are planning our second trip to Disneyland in Sept 2021 for our 40th Anniversary. Our last time was in 2011 for our 30th. Our son and daughter and their spouses will be joining us so we are hoping to score a 3bedroom Grand Villa. Since its been 10 yrs I was curious if the view had changed due to tree growth. Does anyone have pics of the view from the GVs or any of the Paradise Pier view rooms on the 5th floor? I have been looking in the thread but have had no luck finding any.

TIA😎
The trees have grown A LOT. If I remember right, you can't see the water from the 5th floor anymore (I think we had 5th in 2017). We had the 4th floor in Dec 2019. You can see the taller fountains of WoC and we still enjoyed the music and lights every night.
2017 on top and 2019 on bottom. I think the roof in the left side of the photos is actually the GV? We were in 1 bedrooms both years.
20171130_203805.jpg
20191203_212159.jpg

The trees have grown A LOT. If I remember right, you can't see the water from the 5th floor anymore (I think we had 5th in 2017). We had the 4th floor in Dec 2019. You can see the taller fountains of WoC and we still enjoyed the music and lights every night.
2017 on top and 2019 on bottom. I think the roof in the left side of the photos is actually the GV? We were in 1 bedrooms both years.
View attachment 534552
View attachment 534553
Wow, the trees really have grown a lot!
I may rethink the Grand Villa and get a one bedroom and a two bedroom instead. Less points and if I can get them across the hall from each other we can enjoy the views on both sides.

I have heard you can see the Disneyland fireworks from some of the upper floors pool side. Is this true? And does anyone have pictures?

Also we want to do a Fantasmic package. Last time we were there they had the Fantasmic Dessert Package and there was reserved seating (with chairs). From what I'm reading it's now a dining package. Does anyone know if there is still seating in chairs or just seating on the ground?

Last edited:

I have heard you can see the Disneyland fireworks from some of the upper floors pool side. Is this true? And does anyone have pictures?

Also we want to do a Fantasmic package. Last time we were there they had the Fantasmic Dessert Package and there was reserved seating (with chairs). From what I'm reading it's now a dining package. Does anyone know if there is still seating in chairs or just seating on the ground?

Sorry no pics. You may be able to Google some, but as mentioned trees have grown up everywhere. And there are tall trees on the pool side also (at last check). There is a thread here with VGC room views, but many links are now broken and the views are outdated due to trees anyways. The Grand Villa on the pool side may be the best bet for fireworks if you can view upstairs(?).

Either way I think you can count on only seeing the high stuff and maybe the upper part of some castle stuff, due to the north wing of the GCH blocking the lower view. You should have fireworks music available on your TV each night.

Is your goal to stay in the room, or just get a decent fireworks view and avoid the crowd/wait? If the latter, two ideas: 1) Short walk from VGC to Paradise Pier. You can watch from the 3rd floor pool deck with the music playing. The angle from PPH deck is a little better so it looks "around" the GCH. Unless this has changed, they don't consider this pool hopping at night and it was open in the past without a PPH room key. 2) Use the GCH entrance to DCA and watch outside Carthay Circle (and some areas down toward Carsland). It's a narrow view and again some low obstructions, but you are straight on, in line with Main Street. And the area is largely empty due to crowds going to fireworks/WOC. Go through the airfield to avoid the WOC crowd both ways.

There is also a Fantasmic Superthread that details the dining packages Pre-Covid. There are no more director's chairs like the desert party. The only seating option is the Riverbelle package with the upgrade to Fantasmic seating. The Blue Bayou gives you seat cushions for the ground. The others are seating on the ground only; bring your own blanket, etc. No one knows yet if things will change after reopening. Hopefully we know soon!

Thanks much. Awesome information!:thanks:
Last time we were there was 2010 and the views were amazing. Since our kids and their spouses will be with us this time we were deciding between getting a 1 bedroom + a 2 bedroom or going with a 3 bedroom Grand Villa.
I will check out the Fantasmic Superthread.pooh:

Thanks much. Awesome information!:thanks:
Last time we were there was 2010 and the views were amazing. Since our kids and their spouses will be with us this time we were deciding between getting a 1 bedroom + a 2 bedroom or going with a 3 bedroom Grand Villa.
I will check out the Fantasmic Superthread.pooh:

Depending on how well you all get along, I think it would be more fun/practical to be altogether in the grand villa. The adults can hang out together after kids go to bed, cousins can "sleep over," some adults can go back to the room to rest with kids, etc.

Depending on how well you all get along, I think it would be more fun/practical to be altogether in the grand villa. The adults can hang out together after kids go to bed, cousins can "sleep over," some adults can go back to the room to rest with kids, etc.

We are definitely leaning towards the Grand Villa but since there are only 2 and I have to book at the 7 month window (not all pts being used are GC home pts so I cant use the 11 month window) there is a chance neither will be available so I have backup plans.
We are a very close family but no grandbabies yet.... unless you count the furry four-legged kind LOL:dogdance:

Perhaps rent GCV points and rent out some of your other points to cover so you can get 11 month window.

Hi just booked a Disneymoon at the Grand Californian with standard view. If I have any upgrade requests, do you think any cm’s would take me seriously lol :)

Hi just booked a Disneymoon at the Grand Californian with standard view. If I have any upgrade requests, do you think any cm’s would take me seriously lol :)

Don’t ask for an upgrade. Just check in early, be super polite, mention casually it’s your honeymoon, and tell them you’d be happy to wait longer for a room to be ready if they could find one for you “near the Napa Rose Elevators”.

We have a late flight into SNA and won't arrive at the Grand until approx. 11pm....will there be any issue with late check-in?

Don’t ask for an upgrade. Just check in early, be super polite, mention casually it’s your honeymoon, and tell them you’d be happy to wait longer for a room to be ready if they could find one for you “near the Napa Rose Elevators”.
Does 'near the Napa Rose elevators' insinuate some type of upgrade? To me, this is asking for a good location, but I'm not sure since I'm a bit of a newbie. FYI, we have our honeymoon coming up at the GCH in December, but we're waiting for a promo to come out before booking a standard room.

Does 'near the Napa Rose elevators' insinuate some type of upgrade? To me, this is asking for a good location, but I'm not sure since I'm a bit of a newbie. FYI, we have our honeymoon coming up at the GCH in December, but we're waiting for a promo to come out before booking a standard room.

Rooms near the Napa Rose Elevators are in a very good location. If you are lucky enough to receive a random upgrade—yaay— but even if not you’ll have asked for arguably the best location in the hotel.

Asking for something within the limits of what you paid for puts them in the position of getting to surprise you or exceed your expectations— every Front Desk agent loves doing that. (Conversely, I think every front desk agent despises being asked for free upgrades all day long.)

Rooms near the Napa Rose Elevators are in a very good location. If you are lucky enough to receive a random upgrade—yaay— but even if not you’ll have asked for arguably the best location in the hotel.

Asking for something within the limits of what you paid for puts them in the position of getting to surprise you or exceed your expectations— every Front Desk agent loves doing that. (Conversely, I think every front desk agent despises being asked for free upgrades all day long.)
Thanks! That is helpful. I haven't studied the hotel map, and I am okie-dokie accepting whatever room they assign us and that we pay for. ;) It's good to know that location is a nice one!

We have a late flight into SNA and won't arrive at the Grand until approx. 11pm....will there be any issue with late check-in?
No problem at all; they won't run out of rooms. You can do online check-in to expedite the process before your trip (add your reservation to your Disneyland.com account).

You can always call the hotel direct and put a note on your reservation that you will be arriving late. It's also a good time to add room location requests, if you have any. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter