Grand Californian

DisVegas

Mouseketeer
I think I’ve seen that it’s difficult to book at Grand Californian if it isn’t your home resort. Is that accurate? I’m on the west coast but I find the price per point better at a WDW resort.

Thanks,

Mark

Extremely accurate. It is the smallest DVC resort.

If you want to book VGC buy VGC, and use home resort. It is a dice roll at 7, with best odds with high flexibility for a 1BR. Assume it impossible for race weekends and d23.

Most definitely accurate. It is very small. Only forty eight units with two of them Grand Villas, 23 dedicated two bedroom units and 23 lockoff two bedroom units. If you don't own there, it is very hard to book there. You'll have some people come on this thread and say they book it all the time, but for the most part I'd bet more people just give up. Buy a WDW resort if you plan to use that resort most of the time. Buy Aulani if that is where you plan to stay most of the time. Buy Vero Beach if you want to book Beach Cottages or longer than a night or two stays most of time. Buy HHI if that is where you want to stay.

But, gladly, there are other timeshares within walking distance of the parks. So if you are seeking spacious accommodations with kitchen, laundry and other "like home" features ... you might want to consider Worldmark, Wyndham, Shell ... or ...?

Guess I was lucky. I just booked a week there this morning for Aug in a 1 bdrm. Must be less busy at that time of year.

Just wait until star wars land opens. I bet everyone will be nearly shut out that first year.

Yes that is accurate. I also live on the West Coast and we ultimately decided it was worth it to buy GCV even though the price per point was higher. From my experience, at least 90% of dates are available for a studio up to 8 months out. Then at 7 months they disappear instantly. If you don’t own there expect to have to book a 1 bedroom and be very flexible about when you go.

It's a lot better than a cash 1 bdrm at rack rates :crazy2:

A question came up at the annual DVC Member meeting about cash rooms at VGC. The response was they do not offer the DVC rooms for cash at VGC because of the tight availability. I wish I would have got up and asked about the hotel rooms that are on the DVC dues budget for VGC, they rent those out for cash, I guess they never declared them. I assume because of that they can decide not to rent DVC rooms for cash if a member trades out.

I think I’ve seen that it’s difficult to book at Grand Californian if it isn’t your home resort. Is that accurate? I’m on the west coast but I find the price per point better at a WDW resort.

Thanks,

Mark

It is accurate as the Grand Californian has only 50 units and is the only Disney Vacation Club resort at Disneyland. If I talk to someone who only wants to stay at the Grand Californian I always recommend that they make it their home resort and make their reservations 7 to 11 months in advance.

Hopefully the new Disney resort will have DVC rooms and that will increase the supply.
It is unlikely, due to a number of factors. The Anaheim zoning plan has a specific section that applies to Disney resorts, and sets a cap of how many timeshare units can be within that area plan. The total number is very low.

It is unlikely, due to a number of factors. The Anaheim zoning plan has a specific section that applies to Disney resorts, and sets a cap of how many timeshare units can be within that area plan. The total number is very low.

I do hope that Disney is able to add DVC to the new resort. If there is a cap in a zoning plan maybe they can have the cap increased or similar.

I think a lot of dvc’er is somehow expecting dvc rooms at the new resort. I know Disney ofc won’t take that into account but I do think new rooms would sell out fast.

I do hope that Disney is able to add DVC to the new resort. If there is a cap in a zoning plan maybe they can have the cap increased or similar.

I think a lot of dvc’er is somehow expecting dvc rooms at the new resort. I know Disney ofc won’t take that into account but I do think new rooms would sell out fast.
It would take Anaheim City Council doing it, and they almost certainly won't. Anaheim offered a tax rebate for anyone who developed a new 4 or 5 star hotel property, and they were targeting Hilton. Disney took them up on it, wanting to build on that site anyway. Anaheim, because they didn't exclude Disney from the offer, are stuck with it and they're not happy.

Anaheim are actually pretty hostile to Disney a lot of the time.

The relevant bits are in 18.114.020 and 18.114.050. There is a total limit in the Disneyland Resort District of 5,600 rooms, with a total max of 150 timeshare units. In theory, this would allow for the addition of 79 units, but in practice there are other statutes and a requirement for a Conditional Use Permit that prevent this right now, with a LOT of hoops to jump through. If Disney were making the attempt to add or convert units, either via this development, or via takeover of units at a different Disneyland property, it would be wildly public because of the process they would have to follow.

It would take Anaheim City Council doing it, and they almost certainly won't. Anaheim offered a tax rebate for anyone who developed a new 4 or 5 star hotel property, and they were targeting Hilton. Disney took them up on it, wanting to build on that site anyway. Anaheim, because they didn't exclude Disney from the offer, are stuck with it and they're not happy.

Anaheim are actually pretty hostile to Disney a lot of the time.

The relevant bits are in 18.114.020 and 18.114.050. There is a total limit in the Disneyland Resort District of 5,600 rooms, with a total max of 150 timeshare units. In theory, this would allow for the addition of 79 units, but in practice there are other statutes and a requirement for a Conditional Use Permit that prevent this right now, with a LOT of hoops to jump through. If Disney were making the attempt to add or convert units, either via this development, or via takeover of units at a different Disneyland property, it would be wildly public because of the process they would have to follow.

Bummer. I do hope that they one way or another finds a way to build the DVC rooms.

It is very hard. I cant believe we were able to get a studio for the last week of Aug this year at the 7 month mark. Very happy about it, but I watched everyday each day disappear and finally was able to get at 8am 7 months out. It is the last week of high points, and the next week would have saved about 60 points total, but need to go that week.
Good luck to all who are trying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter