Grand Canyon and what else?

haley's mom

DIS Veteran
My family, myself, DH, DD15, DS9 and DD5 are considering a trip next summer to the Grand Canyon. We are from PA and have never been out west. Please help me. What is there to do at the Grand Canyon? How many days should I plan? And what else is within driving distance that we could do in order to spend 7-10 days? I was thinking of a trip to the Hoover Dam? What else?

Thanks!

How much time do you have?

One trip, I flew into Las Vegas and stayed a day or two.

Then drove into SW Utah and visited Zion and Bryce Canyon NP's. Stayed in Kanab, Utah. Visited North Rim of Grand Canyon one day.

Drove to Page, Az, and toured Glen Canyon Dam and took a boat tour to Rainbow Bridge via Lake Powell.

Drove to South Rim of GC for two nights. Stopped at Hoover Dam on way back to Las Vegas.

Finally, stayed in LV a day or two and then left for home.

It was a lot of driving, but the sights are NOTHING like we have here on the east coast.

When I do it again (someday), I'll add Monument Valley, AZ and maybe Mesa Verde, CO, too!

With kids and 7 to 10 days I would visit some of the regions many National Parks and Monuments. www.nps.gov

Grand Canyon probably 2 full days. Get lodging inside the park. www.grandcanyonlodges.com . I would visit the South Rim, skip any notion of the Skywalk and West Rim area... not great and VERY expensive.

Near Grand Canyon is Wupatki and Sunset Crater National Monuments. A few hours here would be fun.

You could fly into either Phoenix (I prefer) or Las Vegas.

1 day Sedona - jeep tour?
2 days Grand Canyon
2 days Lake Powell/Page AZ area. Rent a boat, see Antelope Canyon, drive through Monument Valley on your way to Cortez
1 day Mesa Verde National Park. Stay in Cortez CO.
1 day driving through Canyon de Chelly, to Petrified Forest Nat Park. Stay in Holbrook
1 day in Flagstaff area.
1 or 2 days playing in Phoenix/Scottsdale resort!

I would say try the Hoover Dam tour, but I took it a couple months ago and it was way too short for my taste.

We did a trip to the southwest last summer, flew into Phoenix, spent the week in Sedona (timeshare exchange) and did an overnight trip to the Grand Canyon along with a day trip to the Jerome/Williams area (I think I have that right).

The overnight trip to the GC was definitely one of the highlights (we stayed in Kachina overlooking the rim) but we loved Sedona. The Pink Jeep Tour that a pp mentioned was also one of the highlights of our trip and Sedona is incredibly beautiful being surrounded by the red rocks.

We traveled in late June and while the weather at the GC was perfect it was very hot in Sedona, almost too hot at times, but we still loved our stay there.

I wish we'd had time for a float trip out of Page but I felt like it was too much to fit into a one week visit.

We'll fly into Las Vegas for our next trip with that being our base and we'll do a couple of nights in Zion and a trip to Hoover Dam.

I personally wouldn't do day trips from the Grand Canyon, I'd do it the other way around. Stay in Vegas or near and go to the Grand Canyon a few days, then come back. It's a long drive from GC to ANYTHING in that area!

Kimya

We've just come back from a tour of the South West and felt we had just skimmed the surface. The Grand Canyon Village (South Rim) is a long way from anywhere, so if your kids aren't happy spending a lot of time in the car... That area has so much to offer, but you have got to love walking and scenery to get the best out of it. There's lots of outdoorsy things to do, but as with everything, there're quite pricey and with a family the dollars really start to add up.

Just to give you an idea of what we did and what we would have done differently (obviously with kids you will be looking at things in another way):

Night one and two-Vegas
Walked everywhere along the Strip (I'd avoid anywhere you see people lined up along the sidewalk as they're selling the kind of merchandise you don't want your kids asking questions about). While not the first place you'd think of with kids, there's actually quite a lot to amuse them, especially if they like thrill rides. This is a place you can spend a little or a lot, no point listing the attractions (you can easily do this yourself) but I don't think there are many places in the world like Vegas and if you're "in the area" you should consider a visit.
Night three and four-Grand Canyon
Passed the Hoover Dam en route to GC (didn't stop but if you have an interest, this is a good way to visit).
We worked out that the trip should take about 4 and half to 5 hours, but you forget that just getting the car and familiarising yourself with it takes time, and traffic around the Hoover Dam is pretty slow, and so on, so in the end it took about 7 hours from hotel to hotel including a stop for lunch.
We stayed in the Village and were so glad that we did - getting up and only having a five minute walk to see sunrise over the GC was amazing. One thing I would mention is that you said you plan to travel in summer - be prepared for really fierce heat, especially if you intend to go down into the canyon (walk, mule, etc). Definitely see the Imax film, and if you can manage a flight you'll not regret it. Two days is in my opinion the bare minimum, and if I could do it again I'd spend maybe four.
Night five - Monument Valley
Our drive the next morning included lots of stops along the Rim for photo opportunities and a brief visit to the Tusayan Ruins - and we arrived at dusk at Gouldings Lodge in Monument Valley. Despite loads of warnings about the condition of the drive around the Valley, we found it okay as long as you take it slow and we only had a compact car. There are official tours which can take you to parts of the park restricted to Navajo guides, and the little vehicles they use are open, so you can get great pictures all the time. The only negative there would be crowds, and if windy, you get a lot of red dust. You could spend longer here but I found one day enough.
Next stop was Page (Night six). A strange little town (apparently the most remote community in US), but kind of interesting too. I would not recommend the calzone pizza at Strombolli's, it seems to be loved by locals but it bears little resemblance to any calzone I've ever had - maybe just a matter of taste! Visited the Lake Powell Resort area at Wahweap, but think you would need to be a water sports enthusiast to want to spend more than an hour or so here (views lovely but little else to do). Loved Horseshoe Bend which is a few miles out of town not sure whether I'd want to take small children or strong willed teenagers though, as the edges just make you want to peer over and the rock is soft.
Night seven- Bryce Canyon
Wonderful place to walk around, the pictures tell the story really, but one night is all you need (I think).
Night eight - Zion
I would have liked at least one more night here - beautiful varied scenery to drive through, be driven through and walk through. All the National Parks have ranger programs which can be great for all but especially kids.
Night nine - Las Vegas
Another long drive, much of this was scenic, but the last part was built up and traffic increased significantly. No problem if you're used to freeway driving, but after a number of days driving through wonderfully varied scenery with little company, it was a shock to the system.
This wasn't exactly a loop drive, as Monument Valley and Bryce required some driving over the same roads, but for the most part we were travelling new roads each day and never got bored with the scenery. The down side was living out of a suitcase, and again with kids this could be a problem (especially as mom will probably end up doing all the packing/unpacking).

If you prefer to be based in one place for the whole trip, Vegas or somewhere nearby (cheaper) could be a better option. There's so much to do and see in the surrounding area (Red Rock Canyon, Death Valley, Lake Mead etc) and then you could either take a mini break to the Grand Canyon or make it a holiday of two halves.

If you plan to do the Colorado River Float, make sure you book it ahead of time - we didn't (in October) and it was fully booked (arrggh). The bus goes from Page (the further away from Page your pick-up point, the more time you will be spending on a bus).

If you're anything like me you will end up with an itinerary that bears no resemblance to the original plan, but whatever you decide to do, you'll have a wonderful time in this area. My only real problem was the food, not so much the quality, but the temperature! Even food that came covered with a metal platter cover was only just lukewarm. But things like that are eclipsed by the natural grandeur of the whole area.

If you have any particular questions, I'd be happy to answer if I can, but my experiences may not be much use to you as we were a couple and Fall is less busy.

In 2006 we flew to Vegas spent that night there and left the next day for the South Rim of GC. Spent two days there and then went to Page AZ to tour Antelope Canyon after the tour we drove to Bryce Canyon in UT. then went on to Zion National Park. Zion was my favorite!!

Our family LOVED Sedona - there was a lot to do and the weather was great (80 degrees in July). We did the ruins, the jeep tour and the Slide Rock. And it was a short scenic drive to the Grand Canyon. I thought it was the most gorgeous place I've ever seen.

We went a few years ago and loved the parks in Utah. Zion, Bryce and The Arches are all wonderful. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is MUCH less crowded and really afforded a more natural and unspoiled experience than the South Rim. Be prepared for trips to take much longer than they seem on the map.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter