Grand Canyon book/travel guide?

Soupermom

DIS Veteran
My sister and I are planning a trip to walk down into the Grand Canyon next March. She is a marathoner and has done this many times. Me? Never! I like to read up about interesting facts, things to do, etc. as I plan my adventure and although she will be organizing the whole thing, I'd still like to have something to do. (Plus, it will help me stay motivated in my training!) In the past when I have done this (researched trips SHE plans), I ended up telling her things she knew nothing of! :goodvibes Can anyone recommend a good guide for the Canyon? I have Frommer's Guide for Western parks and its covered in there, but nothing really interesting or insightful is shared.

If it matters, or you are interested, or tentative itinerary is as follows (she can call for ressies tomorrow morning so we are hopeful...):

Saturday: Fly to AZ, stay at the rim
Sunday: explore the "top"
Monday: hike down
Tuesday: explore the "bottom"
Wednesday: hike out
Thursday: fly home

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer! I'm really excited for my new adventure!!:hippie:

Hi there! Good on you for tackling the trek in and, more impressively, out of the canyon :thumbsup2 We did the trek on horseback (well, 'muleback') a couple of years ago. I tend to work off trip reports and actual experiences when I'm researching a trip, rather than guide books. Our experience was obviously quite different than yours will be, but I'll just share a couple of things I wish I'd have found more information on before we went.

Depending on when you're going in March, it may be snowy and icy at the top of the track. If your sister has done it before, she probably already knows this, but I would definitely take crampons and other icy weather supplies. We went in the first week of March and it had snowed a couple of days before we arrived, making the top part of the track very icy and slippery. We thought it was a great time to go though, not too hot and dusty, and it was a real nice temperature at the bottom.

Where are you flying into? And where are you hoping to stay at the rim? We stayed at Bright Angel Lodge, which was fantastic! We also thought Phantom Ranch was great - we were expecting a lot less! We had a cabin with a double bed, own toilet, sink and power points. The meals were great down there too - rustic but filling. The lunch packs were good too, with a variety of nutritious bits and pieces to keep us going.

I've got a few pics from our trip right at the end of my DLR Engagement TR in my siggie if you're interested. Sounds like a wonderful trip and I'm sure you and your sister will have a great time :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter