Grand Canyon Visit -- Tips?

And for whatever reason I'm all about the red rocks.

Isn't it amazing that we both inside our 1 single country? And volcanoes, mountains, etc.? Watching the lava in Hawaii going to the sea is always just draw dropping to me. Unfortunately, I don't have your photography skills to catch it.

Isn't it amazing that we both inside our 1 single country? And volcanoes, mountains, etc.? Watching the lava in Hawaii going to the sea is always just draw dropping to me. Unfortunately, I don't have your photography skills to catch it.

It truly is amazing. I hope I get to see and photograph more of our country. It's hard to do when we keep heading back to the southwest though! ;)

And thanks for the kind words. :)

You are welcome. :goodvibes So glad the photo motivated you to seek it out!

We have also seen Goosenecks Sate Park in southern Utah, but it wasn't nearly as impressive.

Goosenecks State Park by mom2rtk, on Flickr

One other find we sort of stumbled across was just outside Canyonlands. We had been to that area a couple times before but had no idea it was there. I just happened to see a photo flash across a TV in the lobby of our hotel the morning we were heading out of town. So we detoured and drove back toward Canyonlands and found Dead Horse State Park:

Dead Horse Point by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Horseshoe Bend is still my hands down favorite, but these others were cool too. The advantage that both of these offer is that the viewing area is right next to the parking. No hike to get there. Park, get out, and BAM!

We actually did stop at Dead Horse Point when we left Canyonlands. I think I left that off my list on my other post. It was a really quick stop for us, I think an hour tops! I LOVED it though and thought the views were more beautiful than the views from inside Canyonlands!

I have never even heard of Goosenecks State Park! I need to put that on my list for our next trip to the Southwest! It blows my mind how many amazing sights there are in Utah!!

I hear you about how nice it is to park and have the viewing area right there!!! Our timing was terrible with Horseshoe Bend, but there was nothing we could do about it, as we only had so much time and were on a schedule. That morning we had reservations for Antelope Canyon and that night we had reservations for the night in Cameron Az. So, we arrived at Horseshoe Bend around noon, the heat of the day!! It was in the high 90's and as you know, there is no shade!! But, we were determined to see it and we did!!! But man, what a gift that would have been if we could have pulled up, parked, and had the viewing area right there!!!

Boy, I sure wish we were headed back out this summer!!!

Here's something that only happens once a year there, and we lucked up on being there at the right time in our one and only Grand Canyon trip:

2017 Grand Canyon Star Party
Winter-Night-Sky.jpg

Starry sky over Grand Canyon from Mather Point.
Tyler Nordgren, University of Redlands.

June 17–24, 2017

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/grand-canyon-star-party.htm

OMG I may have to build our trip dates around that!

Last summer we flew into Salt Lake city, rented a van and did a big road trip through Utah. We did the "Mighty 5" (Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce and Zion) Horseshoe Bend, Antelope Canyon, the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam and a five days at Disneyland, before flying home from there.

We spent 2 nights at the Grand Canyon. We stayed right on the rim, in the Kachina Lodge, in a room facing the canyon. We could have spent a third night easily. We LOVED staying on the rim!! Both evenings after sunset, we sat for awhile in the lobby of the El Tovar. Both nights there was a young lady playing her guitar and singing. It was so relaxing sitting there!

We rented bikes which we loved and I would highly recommend. I reserved our spot about a month before the trip. I choose the option where they dropped us off at the beginning of the road that is closed to traffic and then they picked us up at Hermits Rest and drove us back. We would bike into every overlook and take in the view, before hopping on our bikes and continuing on. It was a great time!

We drove into the park from Cameron AZ and stopped at Desert View where we spent an hour or so and then we stopped at every viewpoint on the way to the Grand Canyon Village area.

Even though the OP isn't going to be is this part of Utah, I have to give a shout out to Capitol Reef National Park for anyone else planning a trip to see the National Parks in Utah. It seems like when people visit Utah, they visit the other four parks and skip Capitol Reef. We LOVED Capitol Reef!!! If you have time stop by when you are traveling from Canyonlands to Bryce!! You won't regret it!!

Thank you for this recommendation! After all the posts in here, I'm thinking we may need to start planning a whole separate Utah trip! I may try to work Southern Utah into this trip, and then see about planning another one that does Northern Utah & Wyoming

Thanks for all the great ideas! I just realized in the last few months there are so many parts of this country I've never seen before. We recently moved to Kansas City and I want to take advantage of our location in the middle of the country to drive around and see places that felt far away when we were on the East Coast.

OMG I may have to build our trip dates around that!

Thank you for this recommendation! After all the posts in here, I'm thinking we may need to start planning a whole separate Utah trip! I may try to work Southern Utah into this trip, and then see about planning another one that does Northern Utah & Wyoming

Thanks for all the great ideas! I just realized in the last few months there are so many parts of this country I've never seen before. We recently moved to Kansas City and I want to take advantage of our location in the middle of the country to drive around and see places that felt far away when we were on the East Coast.

I really hope you find a way to see southern Utah. If not this trip, then definitely keep it on your list to do when you can.

My favorite part of the Grand Canyon is Havasupai but it's quite a hike and you need to make reservations for a camp site a year in advance. Spring break is a nice time to go; summer is too hot. And yes, the water really is turquoise.

17991357_1273035989459535_2504673329374879793_o.jpg

Yes, there is so much to see and do in Utah, it definitely is a trip all on its own!

You do live in a great location for traveling! We live in NH, so our western trips always involves a plane flight and an expensive rental van. The reason our rentals are always expensive is because we rent from one location and return in another state. I love NH, but am always envious of people that can drive a day or two and be in the west! If we were to drive, it would take up so much of our vacation time by driving out and back!

Like this thread! I hope to take a Grand Canyon trip in 2020 with the family. Plan on renting a small RV. Enjoying everyone's tips and experience!

You are welcome. :goodvibes So glad the photo motivated you to seek it out!

We have also seen Goosenecks Sate Park in southern Utah, but it wasn't nearly as impressive.

Goosenecks State Park by mom2rtk, on Flickr

One other find we sort of stumbled across was just outside Canyonlands. We had been to that area a couple times before but had no idea it was there. I just happened to see a photo flash across a TV in the lobby of our hotel the morning we were heading out of town. So we detoured and drove back toward Canyonlands and found Dead Horse State Park:

Dead Horse Point by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Horseshoe Bend is still my hands down favorite, but these others were cool too. The advantage that both of these offer is that the viewing area is right next to the parking. No hike to get there. Park, get out, and BAM!

All of your pictures are of professional quality. Absolutely gorgeous. Please tell me what camera you used. I am buying one tomorrow.

Edited to add, I might have to buy the photographer as well.

All of your pictures are of professional quality. Absolutely gorgeous. Please tell me what camera you used. I am buying one tomorrow.

Edited to add, I might have to buy the photographer as well.

You are very kind. Thank you! :goodvibes Everything I learned about photography I learned right here on the DIS photography forum.

Some were taken with my older Canon T2i. Some were taken with my Canon 6D.

You are very kind. Thank you! :goodvibes Everything I learned about photography I learned right here on the DIS photography forum.

Some were taken with my older Canon T2i. Some were taken with my Canon 6D.

OK you know I'm not kind. lol Truly magnificent pictures. I have a canon something or rather so obviously I'm going to have to hire you on my our next trip. If you aren't a professional photographer, it's not too late.

OK you know I'm not kind. lol Truly magnificent pictures. I have a canon something or rather so obviously I'm going to have to hire you on my our next trip. If
LOL:rotfl:and thanks! PM me when you figure out which Canon you have if you want to start doing more with it.

LOL:rotfl:and thanks! PM me when you figure out which Canon you have if you want to start doing more with it.

OK This is a bit embarrassing. It's a Canon Rebel XTI and it has two lenses, the one that is currently attached says 75 300 mm. I have no idea if any of this means something to you. My husband and kids take pics but none of them have turned out like yours. And yes, we've been to the Grand Canyon.

OK This is a bit embarrassing. It's a Canon Rebel XTI and it has two lenses, the one that is currently attached says 75 300 mm. I have no idea if any of this means something to you. My husband and kids take pics but none of them have turned out like yours. And yes, we've been to the Grand Canyon.

The XTi is an older model, but still a pretty capable camera. I had one several cameras ago and wore it out. ;)

A couple things. First, I probably have more capable lenses. If you decide to upgrade at some point, there's lots of great advice on the photography board.

Second, you need to learn more about exposure and how your camera works if you want to improve your results. A great starting point is reading Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. It's easy to read and makes the basics of exposure easy to understand.

The XTi is an older model, but still a pretty capable camera. I had one several cameras ago and wore it out. ;)

A couple things. First, I probably have more capable lenses. If you decide to upgrade at some point, there's lots of great advice on the photography board.

Second, you need to learn more about exposure and how your camera works if you want to improve your results. A great starting point is reading Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. It's easy to read and makes the basics of exposure easy to understand.

OK thanks for the information. My brother is a professional photographer however it pains both of us when he is trying to explain things to me.

OK thanks for the information. My brother is a professional photographer however it pains both of us when he is trying to explain things to me.

Sometimes the pros just have a hard time explaining things on a basic level. It took me years to finally put it all together just because I didn't have easy to understand resources. The forum here and that Bryan Peterson book are both great places to start.

For everyone doing a vacation at more than one of the national parks, national monuments, national historic sites etc.... Buy a National Parks Pass before you go. This can save you some money. What the pass can be used for is different at each park so it is best to call ahead to the visitor's center and ask but typically it is used for entry fees and for parking fees. If you are over 62 go get one now as you can buy one for $10 that will last is good for life and the price will be going up soon.

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

My favorite part of the Grand Canyon is Havasupai but it's quite a hike and you need to make reservations for a camp site a year in advance. Spring break is a nice time to go; summer is too hot. And yes, the water really is turquoise.

17991357_1273035989459535_2504673329374879793_o.jpg

Wow. That has me sold, I'm gonna make it there no matter what it takes!!

I am taking notes as well and loving all of the incredible photos. We plan to visit (and hopefully spend a few days) at the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Southern Utah and visit as many parks as we can. I am wondering if any of you have ever stayed there or visited the sanctuary?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter