Grand Canyon Visit -- Tips?

We were there about 2 weeks ago also. My only advice would be if you are doing any hiking below the rim to start early, as in 5 am early. It was not that hot when we were there, but we went for a 3 mile hike into the canyon and the temperature difference on the way out was very noticeable. We passed a lot of hikers just starting when we were finishing, I couldn't imagine. Not only was it much hotter, but it was also more crowded. You don't want to be passing a lot of people because there is not much room to pass! We hiked to Skeleton Point on the South Kaibab trail. It was a beautiful hike. The hike out is hard, so you do not want to be doing it in too much heat.

So we didn't do much hiking because we had been hiking hardcore in Sedona. We went to Mather Point and then Yovapai Point for sunset. Woke up super early the next morning and went back to Mather for sunrise.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn, just outside the main entrance. Kind of a dump but it served the purpose for 1 night.

We went to this pizza place and got one for takeout and took it back to our room. It was delicious. I think the name of the place is Marwik Pizza Lounge. Definitely recommend it and they are open late.

OK thanks for the information. My brother is a professional photographer however it pains both of us when he is trying to explain things to me.

If you look around your local area, many cities and smaller areas have a photography club that meets on a regular basis. Going to meetings, talking to members, and joining their excursions can give you the opportunity to learn from others. Somewhere in that mix will be people who not only want to share their knowledge, but can explain it in terms someone new can understand. Good luck!

Would you guys recommend the South Rim over the North Rim?

Would you guys recommend the South Rim over the North Rim?

The South Rim is definitely the more popular destination. I haven't been there, but the North Rim is supposed to be more laid back with fewer services or NPS programs. They basically have only one lodging option, a short season (it's typically snowed in during the winter), and there are fewer viewpoints. They don't have a town right next to the entrance.

I'd like to visit there some day, but for a first time visit the South Rim makes more sense.

So we didn't do much hiking because we had been hiking hardcore in Sedona. We went to Mather Point and then Yovapai Point for sunset. Woke up super early the next morning and went back to Mather for sunrise.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn, just outside the main entrance. Kind of a dump but it served the purpose for 1 night.

We went to this pizza place and got one for takeout and took it back to our room. It was delicious. I think the name of the place is Marwik Pizza Lounge. Definitely recommend it and they are open late.

That's Maswik. They have a big 'ol food court there and a lounge where the pizza is served. I remember being there around the time of the NBA Finals about a decade ago. They had a big screen TV and had the game on. We asked if we could take our food from the food court in and were told no problem.

http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/dining/maswik-food-court/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter