Grand Canyon West or South?

DaaBoTownSox

Earning My Ears
Which part is better to visit? I went to the west and didn't find it too interesting. I hear people talking about how the South Rim is the better and has a lot more to see and to offer.

The South Rim (and North Rim) is inside Grand Canyon National Park. The views from here are the photos you see on tv and in books/magazines.

Visit www.nps.gov/grca

West Rim is where the Skywalk is and is on the Hualapai Reservation. It is much further west on a side canyon that is not as steep or beautiful as that in Grand Canyon National Park.

Ive never been to the West but I saw views on TV when they first opened the observation thing on the reservation. I was not impressed with those views of the grand canyon. The South rim is so beautiful!! There are many observation points and everyone of them are unique. The color is fainating and rock formations and you can even see the colorado river below. Its truely a dream to see it.

Ive never been to the West but I saw views on TV when they first opened the observation thing on the reservation. I was not impressed with those views of the grand canyon. The South rim is so beautiful!! There are many observation points and everyone of them are unique. The color is fainating and rock formations and you can even see the colorado river below. Its truely a dream to see it.

Probably because the West Rim is not over the main part of the canyon, it is over a side canyon. The South Rim has the most breathtaking views of the canyon.

Kimya

:wave2:
Hi All! Just some thoughts from Northern AZ on the Grand Canyon. The South Rim is very very crowded and commercialized. I worked there in the 70's and it has always seemed like a home away from home to me. We live about 2 hours away now so we visit quite frequently but only during the off season. We don't like the concessioner who is providing the food and other services there. Definitely not very customer service oriented. Appears to be more like herd 'em through and get 'em out. The buildings are all very historic especially the old lodge, The El Tovar. We highly recommend dinner or lunch there. It is a bit pricey but well worth it for special occasions!
North Rim is our favorite! Even at the height of summer the crowds are light. I think the views are much more impressive especially since you can get right out onto the points with the canyon surrounding you rather than go to pullouts and look at the canyon. The concessioner is new this year and they are absolutely incredible! Dinner at the lodge (Grand Canyon Lodge) was beyond words! Since my spousal units birthday was this month, his request was to have dinner at each of the lodges which we did! If I can answer any other questions let me know! IMHO the viewing platform is a joke and a rip off!! I can imagine not being impressed!

AdultbeverageontheporchattheNorthRi.jpg

you seem to know what you are talking about and i sincerely need your opinion. i cannot decide, like the other poster, about the south or the west rim. i see you love the north rim and are so fortunate to live in AZ and can go there. but we are on a 3-day trip to vegas, and only have the west or south option. for several reasons we have decided to take the bus tour not the plane or helicopter. this was after chewing over the idea of a 12-hour bus trip (two days after a plane ride, two days before our drive to LA and four days before our drive up the pacific coast hwy to san fran). so its a LOT of traveling by auto/bus in one short week. but we ruled out air travel to the canyon, for a few reasons. that said, now i am reading all these posts here and somewhere else about how the south rim is 1000 times better than the west rim and the west rim is a waste of time. there is a tour to the south rim from vegas but it takes 15 hours! we really do NOT want to take a 15 hour trip that just seems so much longer than 12 and 12 was already too long! but i hate to spend 12 hours on a bus for a boring unimpressive trip, when maybe if we can stick it out for three more hours we can get to the south rim. but is it really worth it? is it that much better? its two adults and a girl who is almost 12, i hate to put her through an additional three hours on a bus...but then again we are from new jersey and this is a once in a lifetime trip for us. please let me know what you think. advice from everyone would be terrific as i have to book this trip within the next day or two! thank you SO much...

I'm so so sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner! I'm not 100% sure but I don't know why the bus trips take so long? Are those times round trip or 12 and 15 hours one way? Are there other places they stop as well? I just "Googled" how long does it take to get to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas and it seems there are varying answers. It appears it takes less time to get to the North Rim. It sounds like you may have a rental car. If so, I would check to see if driving the rental car is an option to either rim. One thing that is certain to me ........ the west rim is a waste of time and money IMHO. I feel very strongly that it is not the true Grand Canyon. Both the North and South Rim are striking and dramatic. You will love either side. The south side is simply more built up with many more choices for eating and overlooks into views of the canyon. The crowds were not bad when we were at the South Rim last month either. Many of the schools are back in session here in AZ and CA so that will help as well. I hope this helps and I apologize again for not returning to this thread sooner! Have a wonderful trip and if I can answer any other questions let me know! I will check this thread each day from now on! Take Care!:wave2:

It takes about 5 hours to drive from Vegas to the South Rim GC. The tour times are roundtrip, with a few hours at the park.

If it was me, rent a car, drive there, spend the night and return. Bus tours are just not my thing. You could see and enjoy much more on your own.

www.nps.gov/grca

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter