Grand Canyon ?

I took a bus trip from Vegas to the Grand Canyon and it was WAYYY TOO MUCH driving for the time we were there 5 hours each way for like 2 hours we spent there,however I got to see it and it was well worth it and I hope to go back with more time!!!

Biosphere Two is CLOSED for good.

My teens loved Sedona which is a short drive from the Grand Canyon. They enjoyed the jeep tours, the Indian ruins and the Slide Rock state park. We were there during the summer months and it was much cooler than at home because of the low humidity. We hiked during the afternoon and walked around town looking in the shops (I have girls!).

How far is the Grand Canyon to Disneyland?

We are considering camping at either the Grand Canyon or in Williams and then taking the train to the GC. After this we will be heading to Anaheim, how long will the drive be with the CA traffic?

How far is the Grand Canyon to Disneyland?

We are considering camping at either the Grand Canyon or in Williams and then taking the train to the GC. After this we will be heading to Anaheim, how long will the drive be with the CA traffic?

It's almost 500 miles and the time can vary, depending on if you are driving during the week or weekend, during the summer or another time of year. I-15 south can get very congested going south on a Sunday, as a lot of drivers are coming from Las Vegas back to L.A. Any idea when you will be traveling?

Wow, this is great! AZ on the Disboards! :cool1: I just stumbled onto this section. We are planning a trip to Sedona with a side trip to GC for next July. This info is great.
We've done WDW/US about 10 times now and are trying to find something different with natural beauty. Did Niagara Falls and now ready for more.

Our boys will be 11.5 and 8. I'd like them to know not all vacations are about theme parks but then again don't want to fly that long and have them be bored.

Are there water parks in/near Sedona? That would add a little "fun" so it's not all sight-seeing.

How far is DL from AZ? or should we save that for a separate trip?

TIA! I'm so excited! :goodvibes

Your boys would love the Slide Rock State Park in Sedona - it's a natural rock water slide that my kids really enjoyed (and me too!). The girls were even extra brave and jumped off the cliff into the river! It was beautiful scenery and refreshing on a summer day

Your boys would love the Slide Rock State Park in Sedona - it's a natural rock water slide that my kids really enjoyed (and me too!). The girls were even extra brave and jumped off the cliff into the river! It was beautiful scenery and refreshing on a summer day

Is the water plenty deep? I'm a little leery after working 9 yrs in an ER/trauma center that specializes in spinal cord injuries. way too many sad, sad stories... :sad2:
I guess it's made me a little overly cautious or just plain crazy. :crazy2:

I will definitely google it. thanks for the tip! :goodvibes

the water is very deep where the kids jump off the cliff -at least 20 feet. Most of the creek is pretty shallow, though there are some deeper pockets that are 5 or 6 feet deep. So I wouldn't take any non-swimmers!

Your son would definitely enjoy one of the jeep tours in Sedona - way cooler than a water park and almost like a rollercoaster. Pink Jeep tours is the best known and has video on their website

Yes you can hike into the Grand Caynon. But it is one way down, and one way up (straight up it seems). If you went to Bryce Caynon, it is more "user" friendly than the Grand Canyon.. And the view at Bryce is AWESOME !!!!

Just remember, when hiking downhill into ANY canyon, you need to allow twice as much time to hike OUT as to hike IN.

Just FYI.....

We are going to Phoenix over spring break, which is the week after Easter.
We've never been to the Grand Canyon before...is it doable in a day trip from Phoenix in March? If so, could someone recommend what to do in one day?
I would so appreciate it! :)

Grand Canyom is about 4 hours or so from Phoenix. It would be much better if you could plan on sleeping over for 1 night. This way you could see both the sunset and sunrise. There is plenty to do there in a day.
Hiking/walking around the rim, Ranger tours driving out the east rim to see Desert Point (I think that is what it is called)

The AZ Science Center is pretty cool. Karchner (sp?) Caverns down by Tuscon is really neat too. You've also got Tombstone down that way. Depending on when you are coming, you could go by Sedona and play at Slide Rock. You could also take them to Castles and Coasters up my MetroCenter mall. We've not done that yet. There are a few places you can take trail rides on horseback, and of course the water parks are always a hit with the kids. They'd enjoy Fiddlesticks too.

We're going to Sedona for a couple of days then on to the Grand Canyon in June. What is Slide Rock? Is this something a couple of kids would enjoy...their 11 and 14 yrs old?

lettie

We're going to Sedona for a couple of days then on to the Grand Canyon in June. What is Slide Rock? Is this something a couple of kids would enjoy...their 11 and 14 yrs old?

lettie

Slide Rock is a state park that has a great old-fashioned swimming hole that includes a natural slide formed by the creek eroding the rocks away.

We stayed in Sedona last spring during Easter Week, and were able to visit Slide Rock and GCNP. We all had a great time. At Slide Rock the parking lot did fill up rather early in the day. I would think that with Easter so early, it might be a little cold for swimming.

I agree with those who suggest doing a Jeep ride while in Sedona. However, be forewarned, if you have a bad back it might not be such a good idea.

If money is not so much of an object, do a helicopter ride through the Grand Canyon. The Grand Canyon National Airport is just outside the south entrance to the park and has a couple of different companies operating tours.

If you have time, make sure to go a few miles out the east rim entrance toward Cameron. There you will find what appears to be a little flea market, but you can climb out a little precipice and get some great views. I wish I could remember what it was called.

If you visit the park's website, http://www.nps.gov/grca/ , you will find a pdf file that has a daytrip planner for the park. The park also offers ranger programs that you might be interested in.

Other places we visited were Montezuma's Castle, Petrified Forest & Painted Desert, Meteor Crater and Sunset Volcano.

We, too, wanted to walk on the Skyway, but as others have already mentioned, it was a good 4-5 hour drive (you have to drive south, west, and then north to get there) from the South Rim of the NP. Admission was $75 and after you get onto the reservation, there is an approximate 15 mile drive on unpaved roads.

There are plenty of things to do and you'll have a great time!

We are going to Phoenix over spring break, which is the week after Easter.
We've never been to the Grand Canyon before...is it doable in a day trip from Phoenix in March? If so, could someone recommend what to do in one day?
I would so appreciate it! :)

It is doable, but you could run into some bad weather. It's still cold and snowy in the mountains here. We just had storms roll through last night and I think they got more snow up there around Flagstaff. Looks like you'll be here the last week in March though so you may be o.k. We were there when it was hot down here in the valley and we still needed long sleeves and heavy jackets up there. It took us about 3.5 hours from the East Valley during the week.

Personally, I think the Grand Canyon should be a one night stay over. The sunset/sunrise is so beautiful there that you'll want to see both. There were deer grazing right outside our hotel windows when we got up in the morning. We really enjoyed just looking at the canyon, rock formations, and the wildlife. There's lots of shopping, a mule ride, helicopter rides, and I'm fairly certain there's a restaurant there too, but I can't remember for sure.

It is doable, but you could run into some bad weather. It's still cold and snowy in the mountains here. We just had storms roll through last night and I think they got more snow up there around Flagstaff. Looks like you'll be here the last week in March though so you may be o.k. We were there when it was hot down here in the valley and we still needed long sleeves and heavy jackets up there. It took us about 3.5 hours from the East Valley during the week.

Personally, I think the Grand Canyon should be a one night stay over. The sunset/sunrise is so beautiful there that you'll want to see both. There were deer grazing right outside our hotel windows when we got up in the morning. We really enjoyed just looking at the canyon, rock formations, and the wildlife. There's lots of shopping, a mule ride, helicopter rides, and I'm fairly certain there's a restaurant there too, but I can't remember for sure.

We were there in April several years ago and were snowed in in Flagstaff . . . they closed the Interstates all directions one day and the second day the east west road was still closed with the southbound to Phoenix being very iffy.

The first time I was at the Grand Canyon was in late March during the mid-/late-80's.

The week before we left for our trip to LV/GC, there was a major blizzard in the area.

By the time we got to the GC, there was still snow on the ground. It actually heightened the view from the South Rim, seeing how the side walls and many formations of the canyon were terraced.

I can't imagine being there during the blizzard, though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter