Grand Help Needed

B

Big Dadda 2

We are planning our second trip and we are staying at GF. We have a garden view room.
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Should I fax a request for a specfic building or should I just wait until we get there and then we get what we get???????
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
If I should fax a request, what building should I request?
Remember that I have a garden view.
What are the chances of getting upgraded when we get there?????
What should I say when we check in to try to get an upgrade????

Ok. Depending on what type of GV you want, you may want to know the following. A GV at the GF can be of the marina, the lagoon and monorail (no castle) or the pool area. Second, you want to think about the room theme you want. There are three to choose from in the GV category. Alice in Wonderland, Swan and Floral. I like the Alice in Wonderland theme.......it's very Disney.

So, with that in mind, let's talk buildings.

Sago Cay offers views of the marina and the lagoon with monorail and the room themes are Swan. The color of the rooms is a pale yellow with hidden characters from Wind in the Willows on the bedspread.

Conch Key offers views of the marina and the pool area. The room theme in this building is Alice in Wonderland. The room colors are shades of blue with hidden Alice characters on the bedspread and toiletries sporting the White Rabbit. (Very cute if you have kids).

Then there's Boca Chica which I believe is the floral theme. This buidling offers views of the pool area and gardens. The room colors are hues of pink and I don't think there are any hidden characters in the linens.

Finally there is Big Pine Key which also has the Alice in Wonderland theme. I think the view here would be of the gardens.

I've stayed in both Sago Cay and Conch Key. The buildings are across the marina from one another. I could see Sago Cay from my balcony in Conch. When I stayed in Sago for my hooneymoon I had a view of the castle.

I tried asking for an upgrade on my last trip, but since it was Christmas, I was NOT lucky enough to receieve one. Don't set your heart on getting an upgrade. If you get one, great! If not, be happy that you're at the GF. It is a beautiful resort.

If you want to fax a room request, don't have to many "musts." If you have to have a non-smoking room, list that first. Then the building preference and then anything else you'd like to add. Also, the GF rooms on the top floors have vaulted ceilings which make the rooms feel very open and spacious. I love these "dormer" rooms. But a lot of people say that the balconies are too small. They are small and only can fit two people, BUT, if you aren't going to be sitting on your balcony that much, I prefer the dormer rooms.

I hope this was helpful. Have fun on your trip!!!!!!!! Also, if you check out the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa FAQ, there are pictures of the room themes!

Have fun deciding!!!!!!!!

This is a great post! I had all the same questions because we are staying at the GF for the first time from May 11th to May 18th. I have one other question. What is the best way to ask for an upgrade? I successfully got us upgraded to a Jr. Suite when we went to Atlantis Resort on vacation, but that was the ONLY time I've ever had luck getting an upgrade. If anyone has any advice/tips on the best way to ask for an upgrade, could you please post them here? Thanks!

Originally posted by chrissyk
This is a great post! I had all the same questions because we are staying at the GF for the first time from May 11th to May 18th. I have one other question. What is the best way to ask for an upgrade? I successfully got us upgraded to a Jr. Suite when we went to Atlantis Resort on vacation, but that was the ONLY time I've ever had luck getting an upgrade. If anyone has any advice/tips on the best way to ask for an upgrade, could you please post them here? Thanks!

My fiancee and I will be there for our first time for our honeymoon (May 12 - 19th) Maybe we'll pass on the elevator or something :). I CAN'T WAIT!!!!! I agree, that was a great post. Thanks!

well, scanne pretty much covered everything! so, not much to add!!! :)

except, I just know you will love the GF no matter which view you get! there really isnt any need to stress over the view at the GF, cause there are no bad views, no parking lot views!
all gv rooms are beautiful landscaping, or the pool (which incledes beautiful landscaping too! :)) or the marina, which is really nice too! also one side of sago cay will give you a view of the monorail. I think that that is the only view I wouldnt want, cause you cant see any of the GF scenery/grounds form that view! and looking at the GF grounds is gorgeous!!!!!! :)

as far as complimentary upgrade, well, just ask nicely when you checkin if there is a chance that you can have an upgrade to lagoon view, and see if you get lucky!
I have to say I htink you're chances are slim, only because they are pretty booked up for that week! I will be at the YC concierge that same week, and I found out from cro yesterday that the Yacht, Beach and BWI are all completely booked for that week, so I would imagine that the GF is pretty full too!!!

but ask anyway, ya never know!!!!! :) GOOD LUCK!! :)

Laura :)

The GF is a beautiful resort (it's my husband's favorite). No matter where you end up, your stay should be lovely.

The only thing I can offer is that if you want something, then reserve it from the start. That way you will know exactly what you will be getting and will not be disappointed.

Don't forget that the Dis has a thread that is an excellent source of information for the GF. Here's the link: Dis' Grand Floridian FAQ Thread.

Okay! Thanks for the information. Now new question.

Should I fax a request to the resort to let them know what I need?

If I should fax a request, what number to I fax a request to?????

Thanks to scanne and princess angel. You had some really great information.

We got upgraded to a Magic Kingdom view in Boca Chica last September. I think we were paying in the $140 range. We got the rate from the Ocala info center. We had the standard/garden view and when we checked in I jokingly offered to stay in a MK view room if they needed help filling those. The CM laughed along and we got the upgrade. That's my usual MO. It works a lot on airlines. I'll offer (jokingly) to help fill up 1st class to "keep up appearances" and it works more often than not! You're alot less likely to get it if you don't ask, contrary to the opinions of others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter