Gratuity & Tip

nenis

Mouseketeer
So on my way to work this morning I listened to a DU Youtube video for first time cruisers. I've done DCL 2 times, but now I'm confused. I have a feeling I over tipped.

DU explained that gratuity already comes included on certain charges. Well, everytime I went to the bar or bought a drink by the pool (for example) I would tip. I just signed the receipt, and was on my way. Little did I know that a gratuity was already included.

My question is this: What would have happened if I hadnt tipped them? They would still get that automatic tip right? For my next cruise, do I have to tip since they are already given a gratuity? Obviously, if I feel they deserve more, I will give a little extra.

I did the same thing with the Spa. Went to get a pedicure and just tipped. I didnt know gratuity was already included.

You all must think I'm rich. I'm not, but was on vaca-mode, so really didnt care about anything other than relaxing! My husband will kill me if he finds out. I visited the bar ALOT...on both cruises!

My question is this: What would have happened if I hadn't tipped them? They would still get that automatic tip right?
They will receive the automatic 15% gratuity that was added to the check. If you add an additional gratuity, they will receive that also.

So on my way to work this morning I listened to a DU Youtube video for first time cruisers. I've done DCL 2 times, but now I'm confused. I have a feeling I over tipped.

DU explained that gratuity already comes included on certain charges. Well, everytime I went to the bar or bought a drink by the pool (for example) I would tip. I just signed the receipt, and was on my way. Little did I know that a gratuity was already included.

My question is this: What would have happened if I hadnt tipped them? They would still get that automatic tip right? For my next cruise, do I have to tip since they are already given a gratuity? Obviously, if I feel they deserve more, I will give a little extra.

I did the same thing with the Spa. Went to get a pedicure and just tipped. I didnt know gratuity was already included.

You all must think I'm rich. I'm not, but was on vaca-mode, so really didnt care about anything other than relaxing! My husband will kill me if he finds out. I visited the bar ALOT...on both cruises!
The 15% gratuity that's added to all purchased drinks is pooled and shared by all drink servers and bartenders on the cruise. If you tip additionally (cash or added amount on the charge slip) it goes directly (and only) to whoever you've singled out to receive that tip.

The 15% gratuity that's added to all purchased drinks is pooled and shared by all drink servers and bartenders on the cruise. If you tip additionally (cash or added amount on the charge slip) it goes directly (and only) to whoever you've singled out to receive that tip.
Good to know. I am going on my 7th cruise and did not know all the gratuities were shared with the drink servers unless you gave an additional tip. I will have to remember that. Some of the servers at the bars are really great and deserve a little extra IMO.

I get sick to my stomach after dropping $8,500 for the cruise, $3,000 for airfare and 15% automatically added to ever drink purchasedfor Disney to tell me I need to tip an additional $500 at the end of the cruise.

I get sick to my stomach after dropping $8,500 for the cruise, $3,000 for airfare and 15% automatically added to ever drink purchasedfor Disney to tell me I need to tip an additional $500 at the end of the cruise.

I honestly do not understand this mentality. What is 15 percent on a few drinks or $500 when you are spending $11.5k? It’s just part of the cost, why feel sick to your stomach?

What cruise costs $500 in tips?

That "additional" tip goes to different people than the cruise cost, airfare cost, and beverage gratuity goes to.

Question - when you travel, and eat a restaurant, do you tip? Seems to me that $8.00 a day for a tip at 3 meals is not a bad cost. And $4.00 a day to a hotel maid? Also not exorbitant, in my opinion.

What cruise costs $500 in tips?

That "additional" tip goes to different people than the cruise cost, airfare cost, and beverage gratuity goes to.

Question - when you travel, and eat a restaurant, do you tip? Seems to me that $8.00 a day for a tip at 3 meals is not a bad cost. And $4.00 a day to a hotel maid? Also not exorbitant, in my opinion.

Not to mention that in my limited experience the service is above and beyond why you get in most restaurants/hotels.

If you can’t afford the tip you can’t afford the trip, imo

Not to mention that in my limited experience the service is above and beyond why you get in most restaurants/hotels.

If you can’t afford the tip you can’t afford the trip, imo
This mentality is wrong. Tipping is at the discretion of the tipper. Plain and simple. It better be superb service to get a tip at all. If it’s sub par. We adjust the tip accordingly.

A service is being provided that is part of the cruise fare. We don’t need to put people down that don’t agree with your viewpoints on tipping. I can afford a lot. Possibly because I’m frugal when I need to be.

This mentality is wrong. Tipping is at the discretion of the tipper. Plain and simple. It better be superb service to get a tip at all. If it’s sub par. We adjust the tip accordingly.

A service is being provided that is part of the cruise fare. We don’t need to put people down that don’t agree with your viewpoints on tipping. I can afford a lot. Possibly because I’m frugal when I need to be.

Can you please quote the part where I put someone down? If anything you called my mentality wrong is putting me down?

Can you please quote the part where I put someone down? If anything you called my mentality wrong is putting me down?
Saying someone can’t afford a tip when it’s not about affordability. You act as if not tipping or lowering a tip you shouldn’t vacation. That’s wrong. Thanks

Some of the servers at the bars are really great and deserve a little extra IMO.

And I guarantee that they will remember you later. I always add an extra tip and try to use the same server each time where possible. A little extra goes a long way in getting even better service as well as having them remember what you like and how you like it. Over the length of a 7 day cruise, it doesn't cost me more than a few dollars and it's totally worth it.

And I guarantee that they will remember you later. I always add an extra tip and try to use the same server each time where possible. A little extra goes a long way in getting even better service as well as having them remember what you like and how you like it. Over the length of a 7 day cruise, it doesn't cost me more than a few dollars and it's totally worth it.
Heavy pours? What does this help to accomplish? If it’s these little extras. Sure!

Saying someone can’t afford a tip when it’s not about affordability. You act as if not tipping or lowering a tip you shouldn’t vacation. That’s wrong. Thanks

So you don’t tip servers when you go out to dinner? And yes if you don’t believe in tipping for good service you shouldn’t use the service. Right or wrong our society in America has created an expectation that servers be tipped when they do a good job. Their base pay is so far below a living wage it’s laughable. The expectation is they will be tipped. You absolutely can have included tips reduced if you have a legit gripe, but if not you should expect to pay it for this kind of travel. Period. It’s what our society created. Deal with it

Last edited:

What country do you live in? That could explain the confusion?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter