Gratuity

nutshell

Oh, Disney!
can we prepay gratuity?

If so, how do the cast members know we've already prepaid?

You can, call DCL or your travel agent and get that set up if you want.

Why would the cast members care if you pre-paid? The pre-paid gratuities are essentially a credit to your on-board account so instead of settling that cost at the end of the cruise, it is applied to the account before.

I promise that this won't happen to you, pre-paid or not:

I don't know if they know that you've prepaid, but they DO know if you have gratuities removed. Their supervisors get a list, and if gratuities are removed, the crew member and/or the supervisor will likely approach to see what the problem is and what can be done better.

I don’t ‘prepay’ my gratuities but I always preload some onboard credit. It’s basically the same thing.

The reason I do it is to load it at a time I’m happy with the exchange rate but I know others just like to have everything paid up front. I usually estimate the amount I’ll need for tips, port adventures, Palo dinner, etc and then load that amount. Usually I’ll have a small charge to my card at he end of the cruise but it’s nice to not have a big payoff required after a cruise (last time it was a refund of a small amount which happened automatically back to my credit card after a port was cancelled so we didn’t take the excursion we planned to).

We always ask to prepay our gratuities when we sign up for the cruise. It's then added to the total cost of the cruise and, when paid in full, you can forget it!

You'll be given envelopes on the cruise in which to put the printed amount (Disney gives you) of each tip for the room host and servers. Usually distribute those envelopes to the crew the
last night of the cruise.

Bon voyage.

Remember gratuities are just one of many charges that can be put on your account. If you wish, you can call DCL and give them a credit card to charge and “preload” your onboard account with any amount you choose. Then at the end of the cruise, that amount is used to pay off all charges, such as gratuities, excursions, drinks, merchandise, or any of the 50+ Categories you can spend money on during your cruise.

It’s fine in your mind to think of specifically prepaying gratuities, just like you can think of prepaying for an excursion, prepaying for a cabana, Palo, wine, whatever. But in reality you are just choosing an amount to put on your account before the cruise as a credit balance against your final bill.

Last edited:
I'm still not following. If I prepay or put extra on my account, how do the servers, hosts, etc know this? If I don't hand them cash or write a tip amount each time I see them do they think I'm stiffing them?

They know to expect their tips on the last night/day of the cruise. It's actually just a pre-printed small card stating their name and the amount--which is pre-determined by DCL. No cash is involved nor is tipping every day. You place the card in an envelope and then give it to the servers, room attendant, etc

And unless you personally add to it or subtract, they all know exactly how much they are getting.

I'm still not following. If I prepay or put extra on my account, how do the servers, hosts, etc know this? If I don't hand them cash or write a tip amount each time I see them do they think I'm stiffing them?
In a word: NO

You do not have to write tip amounts every time you see them, prepaid or no. Tips are traditionally given the last night anyway. Tips are not done in cash on-board, save for room service.

When you pre-pay the cost of the gratuities is included in the price you pay for the cruise. That amount is credited to your onboard account. At the end of the cruise you will will get tip envelopes and a sheet of gratuity coupons. You don't tip each time a service is provided.

You separate the coupons and place in the corresponding envelope to hand to the person specified.gratuities envelopes 1500.jpg gratuities sheet 2014 0220 P1040185 1500a.jpg

Your servers will not know if you have put money in your account, especially since (as I described above) no money you put in your account is earmarked for any special purpose. Also, you do not tip servers every time you see them, just at the end of the cruise. You'll be given small envelopes and cards near the end of the cruise, and you hand these to them at the last dinner. That's how they know you have tipped them (but even if you forget to hand them the envelope they still get the standard tip from you unless you went to Guest Services to make a change).

Don't worry about it! Unless you take step to remove their tips, they'll get them, you'll be billed for them, and if you wish you can do what most of us do at the last dinner (hand them an envelope with a nice card in it Disney prepared for you telling them about the tip).

By the way, you can add cash to the envelope if you wish. Some people like to do that, others prefer to increase the amount by telling Guest Services to bill your account an extra amount. It doesn't matter to the servers, if they get cash they can just turn it into the crew finance office for deposit to their paycheck.

It does NOT change anything whether you "prepay" or not.

When you pre-pay the cost of the gratuities is included in the price you pay for the cruise. That amount is credited to your onboard account. At the end of the cruise you will will get tip envelopes and a sheet of gratuity coupons. You don't tip each time a service is provided.

You separate the coupons and place in the corresponding envelope to hand to the person specified.View attachment 281531 View attachment 281532
We like to add some US DOLLARS TO THE ENVELOPE FOR CMS WHO ARE EXTRA MAGICAL! and yes I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU COULD DO THIS AT GUEST SERVICES!

Just for further clarification, what happens if I don't actually give the envelope to the person? I'd guess they get the tip anyway since its pretty much all electronic. Right?

Yes, any gratuities that you pay to your room account will be sent electronically to cast members. The envelopes are just a way to reinforce that you appreciate their service (and a reminder to guests to take care of gratuities if they want to make any changes to the automatic charges or present cash).

Just for further clarification, what happens if I don't actually give the envelope to the person? I'd guess they get the tip anyway since its pretty much all electronic. Right?

Yes, the envelope is more for those who want to pay cash (or add cash to their tips), and so you feel good about leaving something behind for the person.

It's mostly a ceremonial thing actually. Of course they always like MORE of a tip, so I guess looking in the envelope and seeing a higher amount is a pleasure for them.

We will be going on a British Isles cruise in September. We have already pre-loaded some gift cards and will have some on board credit added to our account by the TA, etc. When we need to tip in cash - either room service or if we choose to tip a little extra in the envelope for some one, should we use US dollars or local money? - In this case, assume British pounds. (Ship sails out of Dover)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter