Gratuity

The purpose of prepaying is to get that over with, so you know it's taken care of. Prepaying can also make the trip feel more carefree when you actually take it, because the unpleasantness of paying is in the past and you don't have to think about it.

I agree. I know a lot of people who prefer to have everything paid off before they go on vacation. It helps with their budget.

That's unfortunate. It's correct that you don't have to give them the envelope since the gratuity is automatically charged and the servers receive that info. Even if you went to GS and added, they will still receive that info.

We have been giving them the envelope since we started cruising. In the beginning my daughter would write a little thank you note and slip it in so she loves giving them out. Now, I just put a thank you note on the front. My children used to do it and when they don't, my husband shakes their hand and gives it to them. We actually had to track down the Head Server once to give it to him. It wasn't a big deal, our server said he would give it to him, but we saw him at the exit.

I'm surprised that you weren't treated as well. Sometimes the last morning is so rushed, they don't seem as friendly as they were the whole cruise, but I really believe that's the stress of the last morning.

Agree with this. I have always found the servers to be varying degrees of pretty awesome on DCL. Even on that very rushed last morning.

Absolutely! Sometimes I can't believe how perky they can be that early in the morning. I saw a lot more grumpiness from the passengers.

I understand when they are feeling rushed, but I remember asking for some cranberry juice with a smile and a "please" and he said to me "well your just going to have to wait, aren't you?" So, I'm sure it wasn't that... :(

Our head server was FANTASTIC though, absolutely kind and gracious the entire cruise. Even in the rush of the last morning.

but I remember asking for some cranberry juice with a smile and a "please" and he said to me "well your just going to have to wait, aren't you?" So, I'm sure it wasn't that... :(

Wow. So sorry to hear that. In all my time spent on Disney ships, which adds up to about 3 months total, I have not had someone be so curt..... :worried:

I understand when they are feeling rushed, but I remember asking for some cranberry juice with a smile and a "please" and he said to me "well your just going to have to wait, aren't you?" So, I'm sure it wasn't that... :(

Our head server was FANTASTIC though, absolutely kind and gracious the entire cruise. Even in the rush of the last morning.

I'm so sorry you had that experience. If he was a great and friendly server throughout the cruise and then acted like that on the last morning, I can see why you would be upset. Sometimes they seem hurried, but there's no reason for him to be rude.

I had an assistance server who seemed a bit off most days including the last morning. Before we left our server came up to us and said she really appreciated our patience with her assistant server. We said, we understand she may be new or just having a difficult time adjusting. But it turned out, she was in such pain (dental issue) for the whole cruise and she was finally going to seek dental help when she disembarks that morning. She wasn't going to be able to come back for the next cruise. We were shocked because she didn't mention anything and I think some of the other tables were getting upset with her. I suppose the fact that we didn't complain prompted the server to say something at the end. It wasn't that she was not doing her job, she was just not as proactive as a lot of the assistant servers we've had, so we thought she was just new...My point with this long winded paragraph...is that even with all that pain, she was still polite.

I'm so sorry you had that experience. If he was a great and friendly server throughout the cruise and then acted like that on the last morning, I can see why you would be upset. Sometimes they seem hurried, but there's no reason for him to be rude.

I had an assistance server who seemed a bit off most days including the last morning. Before we left our server came up to us and said she really appreciated our patience with her assistant server. We said, we understand she may be new or just having a difficult time adjusting. But it turned out, she was in such pain (dental issue) for the whole cruise and she was finally going to seek dental help when she disembarks that morning. She wasn't going to be able to come back for the next cruise. We were shocked because she didn't mention anything and I think some of the other tables were getting upset with her. I suppose the fact that we didn't complain prompted the server to say something at the end. It wasn't that she was not doing her job, she was just not as proactive as a lot of the assistant servers we've had, so we thought she was just new...My point with this long winded paragraph...is that even with all that pain, she was still polite.
It also points out that you never know what is going on with someone else.

It also points out that you never know what is going on with someone else.

Yes, but I think that goes for every CM. Even with long conversations with all of them about their family and life, I'm sure there's much more we don't know. I was just so upset when I found out. I know why she didn't tell us during the cruise, but I hope someone mentioned it to those who complained.

Just so I'm aware, not all tipping is charged to the room. Luggage handlers, room service, DCL bus driver etc... those if you want to tip will have to be done via cash correct? Anywhere else you chose to tip via cash and not the room account?

Just so I'm aware, not all tipping is charged to the room. Luggage handlers, room service, DCL bus driver etc... those if you want to tip will have to be done via cash correct? Anywhere else you chose to tip via cash and not the room account?
Tour guides/drivers.

My point with this long winded paragraph...is that even with all that pain, she was still polite.

Trimmed down the long paragraph to add on to your thought.

Even if the staff is not undergoing an extreme circumstance,like a heath issue, it is important to remember one other fact. On DCL, and most cruises, the staff are working on the ship for months. I am always impressed with how polite, freindly and helpful the crew are when they have been working long hours every day for up to 7 months. It may be surprising to new cruisers but remember that person only has a few hours to themselves each day during those 4-7 months.

On DCL, and most cruises, the staff are working on the ship for months. I am always impressed with how polite, freindly and helpful the crew are when they have been working long hours every day for up to 7 months. It may be surprising to new cruisers but remember that person only has a few hours to themselves each day during those 4-7 months.

This is SO true. It is unbelievable how many hours these good people work before they get even a breather. I cannot imagine working more than 30 days without a day off. the crew on cruise ships have to be some the hardest working people out there.

This is SO true. It is unbelievable how many hours these good people work before they get even a breather. I cannot imagine working more than 30 days without a day off. the crew on cruise ships have to be some the hardest working people out there.

Ditto that. My son was a CM for over a year on DCL and enjoyed it immensely but he said the toughest thing was being "on" all the time when you were always so tired. And he said he got sick a lot, particularly with colds. I always give the crew the benefit of an 'off day'. Our head server was really bad the first night but was good the rest of the week. Our assistant, though, never really improved her service. Getting drinks after appetizers is not good.

Ditto that. My son was a CM for over a year on DCL and enjoyed it immensely but he said the toughest thing was being "on" all the time when you were always so tired. And he said he got sick a lot, particularly with colds. I always give the crew the benefit of an 'off day'. Our head server was really bad the first night but was good the rest of the week. Our assistant, though, never really improved her service. Getting drinks after appetizers is not good.

Generally, our assistants are okay, but we did have one that really needed some help. Actually, I felt sorry for our server because she had to take up some of her assistant's duties because he just doesn't seem to get it. He wasn't new, she has been trying to help him for a long time. I just don't think that was the appropriate position for him. Some of the other tables were routinely getting upset that he didn't bring their drinks fast enough. I really felt he was way over his head. I hope he was able to find a better fit. It's understandable that he may not be suitable for that position, but it's somewhat upsetting how much harder the server has to work to compensate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter