Gray is THE color these days I guess

Regarding the color gray

• Love gray! All my rooms are gray!

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • I like gray- some of my rooms are gray.

Votes: 37 32.5%
  • I prefer gray as more of an accent color and use it that way.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I like gray- but haven't painted any rooms gray.

Votes: 29 25.4%
  • I don't like gray- none of our rooms are gray.

Votes: 24 21.1%
  • I have gray rooms, but not by choice

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I really wish you had spelled it "grey"

Votes: 17 14.9%

• Total voters
We painted our downstairs living room, kitchen, foyer, and upstairs hallway gray last year. The color swatch was actually called greige. I love it. It's not too light and not too dark and has a warm tone.

I just painted my room a warm gray called Agreeable Gray by Sherwin Williams, and I love it! Originally I thought I’d want a cooler gray but I like these “greige” shades that are popular now.

My BIL was told by his home stager to paint everything greige. He had a good palette before but the griege did the trick and he sold in five days for above asking.

I don't care much for plain grey but do like greige.

I put that I don't like grey, but I do like a really saturated dark grey and/or blue grey. I also like greige.

I just toured a facility that is still under construction and it had all cool greys. It really made it look institutional IMO.

I still have beige tones in my home because I prefer warm tones over cool when decorating. I recently have seen some really nice dark grey and brown combos that I love.

We are building a new house and most of the first floor is greige. A lot of our neighbors put in gray cabinets. Our lake house is mainly gray and white, but for our new main home I have a lot of taupes, beiges, and blues with pops of orangey red. I like my main home to look happy. I always say to each their own.

Funny; just yesterday my wife found a car that she really likes, and the only reason we'd even consider this model is because it's a special edition that only comes in flat gray.

Gray has been the trendy "basic" color in home decor for 10+ years now, and seems to have some holding power. Definitely just the beige that was everywhere when we built our first house in 2002. I figure it'll fall out of favor sometime in future, like beige did.

We have used gray as our basic neutral throughout our last 3 houses. I occasionally paint some rooms a different color but the gray works great for open concept spaces. Our style is beachy/coastal with lots of whites, grays, navy, blue, and green. We have super dark wood floors so our living spaces have a very light gray on the walls with white trim.

Lol, I was just thinking about this! Gray is very trendy right now. So much so that my friend, who is 11 years younger than me and having her first baby, has the entire nursery decorated in gray--for a baby girl! Gray paint, gray linens, gray baskets on the changing table, all different, coordinating shades and it looks cute, but I was surprised when she showed me her finished nursery.

Grey is the new beige.
I prefer the original beige. Our current house is a brand new spec home. I'm very glad the walls aren't grey or greige. I don't even like the word "greige." The walls are a lovely cream color and the floors and stair railing are dark brown. The kitchen does have dark grey glass subway tiles and the granite has specks of grey in it. Normally, I'm not a fan of white cabinets, but I'm glad these are because it tones down the grey.

Light gray in the foyer and living room and hallway. Somewhat darker gray in the dining room and kitchen.

Had the exterior painted last year. Flint gray (light) shingles and slate gray (dark) trim/shutters.

I'm not being trendy. I've liked gray for many many years.

Not only do I not have any gray in my house, I have the two worst colors according to the Property Brothers. I keep seeing an article in my FB feed about the two colors that drive away buyers and, yep, I have them. I totally do not care what those bozos think. I'm not selling my house, so the only person who needs to like the walls is me.

I have a soft butter yellow in my kitchen and breakfast nook that moves into the open den. And, gasp, I have a red formal dining room.

Not only do I not have any gray in my house, I have the two worst colors according to the Property Brothers. I keep seeing an article in my FB feed about the two colors that drive away buyers and, yep, I have them. I totally do not care what those bozos think. I'm not selling my house, so the only person who needs to like the walls is me.

I have a soft butter yellow in my kitchen and breakfast nook that moves into the open den. And, gasp, I have a red formal dining room.
:thumbsup2 Me too! I’ve got “‘90s angry red” on a three-story feature wall behind my floating staircase and it gets rave compliments. My main walls are a mid-tone brown (not pink) based taupe and our great room furniture is dark wood and red textiles with burnt-orange silk draperies.

It sounds wild but is actually so cozy and inviting. Right from the get-go though our painter tried to steer us towards grey with white trim. :laughing:

I would never paint my house on the prospect of a future sale many years away. Painting is easy. I do get why they advise people not to go with colors like red, black, navy blue etc. They’re really, REALLY hard to cover up. People don’t want to deal with that and will walk away on an otherwise great house. When I sold I painted the entire house a solid off white before I even put it on the market.

That said I bought this one and my youngest DD’s room was glossy, GRAPE purple. It took me three days (and some frustrated tears) to cover it up. In contrast it took barely half a day to do my DS’s same size room that was powder blue. Our master bath is a hideous glossy, navy blue. I love to paint but I’ve has a 5 gallon bucket of primer sitting in the closet up there for three years because I know it’s going to be a nightmare.
We were house hunting recently and way too many houses had walls that had been painted gray. I wouldn’t even consider them because I wasn’t about to go and repaint a whole house.

I hate gray walls. They are far from neutral and they are depressing.
I guess it depends on the shade. I get told all the time how light and airy my house is.

Gray is a million times better than tan, which was such a popular color 10 years ago. When we interviewed realtors before listing our house, they each said we needed to update from tan to gray. Glad we did because we got two full price offers within the first 48 hours. The color change really brightened the house.

And now I’m sitting in a rental house with all tan walls. I can’t get away from it.

Nothing in my house (except my stainless steel microwave) is gray. Or grey. Not a fan.
But if you ask any interior designer or watch any of the new home improvement shows gray is THE color. Actually, i think they call it "warm" gray.

But, my parents lived in their house for 53 years, and they ALWAYS repainted everything in the same color it was painted when they bought it new. No gray.
And 5 years ago DW and I had our house remodeled, and did change colors inside and out, after everything being the same color for 30 years. And no gray before or after. But we are NEVER in fashion.

Decor these days has transitioned from warm browns and tans to cool greys. Grey is a versatile color and goes with almost anything, no matter the décor style - farmhouse, traditional, modern. It can really work with anything, and its also timeless so it keeps things from looking outdated too quickly. My parents recently sold their house and built a new one. The realtor for their old house advised them to paint all of the walls before listing it ("you know, a neutral like a light grey") and the builder for the new house suggested "Agreeable Grey" by Sherwin Williams for the walls of their new house. They did end up going with that color and we all really like - it works with all the floor types and colors they have, as well as their window treatments and furniture.

We removed the hideous wallpaper from the kitchen in our first house and painted it butter yellow. Even on the dreariest winter day, I felt enveloped by sunshine when I went into the kitchen.

I would never paint my house on the prospect of a future sale many years away. Painting is easy. I do get why they advise people not to go with colors like red, black, navy blue etc. They’re really, REALLY hard to cover up. People don’t want to deal with that and will walk away on an otherwise great house. When I sold I painted the entire house a solid off white before I even put it on the market.

That said I bought this one and my youngest DD’s room was glossy, GRAPE purple. It took me three days (and some frustrated tears) to cover it up. In contrast it took barely half a day to do my DS’s same size room that was powder blue. Our master bath is a hideous glossy, navy blue. I love to paint but I’ve has a 5 gallon bucket of primer sitting in the closet up there for three years because I know it’s going to be a nightmare.

I guess it depends on the shade. I get told all the time how light and airy my house is.
MY painter usually uses 1-2 coats of Killz and then switches to tinted primer if more coverage is needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!