Great book for 'cruise people'. Mark Twain's " The Innocents Abroad"

DreamsDoComeTrue

Life is Good.
Boy, talk about a cruise report! In 1867, Clemens took one of the early 'just for the fun of it' cruises to Europe, the Holy Land... lots of ports. I've only just started the book, but so far it's very entertaining. (Giving lots more to appreciate in the Magic and Wonder.) He's journaling the whole thing, as only Mark Twain can. It's big too, maybe it will break my obsession with these boards!!!
Has anyone else read it? (Getting a little "Good Books for the Cruise Enthusiast" book club going here. LOL

I haven't read it, but I've heard good things about it. In the recent Ken Burns documentary about Mark Twain on PBS, they talked about this book. It seems that he started his career as a writer as a newspaper columnist. "Innocents Abroad" came about when a group of local missionaries decided to take a trip to the Holy Land, and he arranged for a newspaper to pay his way to join them if he would send columns back home. This book is a compilation of his columns.

I've enjoyed the other Mark Twain that I've read. Maybe I'll move that up in my queue.

Also try Princess Charming by Jane Heller. More a mystery romance, but very funny. The main character is very tall, very sedate, they lose her luggage and she has to dress in ship cruise wear. Any other good cruise books folks?
Carla

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter