Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would guess, that the current DHS rehab with Toy Story and Star Wars attractions coming online next year, may have affected near term attendance. Pandora may have mitigated that a bit. However, I think Star Wars is highly anticipated enough that it isn't unreasonable to think some families have postponed vacations to a time after star wars opens.....having TSL also open in the same park by that time make is a bit of slam dunk.
For me I'm looking at it the opposite way, I think I want to visit before all of that opens up and the business levels sky rocket. I half think the skyliner project was put in place to help give overcrowded guests in DHS another park (Epcot)to escape to easily. I really think there will be a capacity issue at DHS.

Hopefully the "Star Wars hotel" will be opened at the same time as Galaxy's Edge.

I would think the star wars hotel would be some sort of "phase 2" to the star wars land project. Boutique hotel, attached to the park and some sort of connecting attraction.

I would think the star wars hotel would be some sort of "phase 2" to the star wars land project. Boutique hotel, attached to the park and some sort of connecting attraction.
I don't know about the connecting attraction but yes.

I don't know about the connecting attraction but yes.
by attraction, I'm not suggestion an E ticket. I thinking more along the lines of a show like indy or some sort of experience like the jedi training academy. Ultimately something to fill the space between the two.

I would guess, that the current DHS rehab with Toy Story and Star Wars attractions coming online next year, may have affected near term attendance. Pandora may have mitigated that a bit. However, I think Star Wars is highly anticipated enough that it isn't unreasonable to think some families have postponed vacations to a time after star wars opens.....having TSL also open in the same park by that time make is a bit of slam dunk.
For me I'm looking at it the opposite way, I think I want to visit before all of that opens up and the business levels sky rocket. I half think the skyliner project was put in place to help give overcrowded guests in DHS another park (Epcot)to escape to easily. I really think there will be a capacity issue at DHS.

I'm with you here. We are booked for late Jan, early Feb 2019. I think that will be a lull. Almost 2 years into Pandora, almost a year into TSL, and less than a year before SW:GE opens. I'm thinking if they haven't gone already, serious Disney folks will be holding off for SW:GE. Much like opening weekend for a movie, I have no desire to say "I was there" and be uncomfortably jammed into something I paid way too much for. So I'm hoping to hit the lull and still be able to see the new to me stuff without the crazy crowds. I'll be back for SW:GE 2 years after it opens or just wait for what I think will be the slowest time of the 50th (though I'm guessing that whole year will be severely elevated attendance wise).

Last edited:

by attraction, I'm not suggestion an E ticket. I thinking more along the lines of a show like indy or some sort of experience like the jedi training academy. Ultimately something to fill the space between the two.

or maybe something like the Hogwarts Express that brings you from the Hotel to the park/Galaxy's Edge that you can only ride if you are staying at the hotel

We will probably never visit Hollywood Studios park again -- and it was once our favorite :( The only thing left there we care about is the Muppets show and Prime Time Cafe! Neither of which is worth buying a day ticket for.

I was one of the ones that way back when waited in line for the first three original movies and still, to this day, think for their time they were great.

But now, my whole family is just so done with all the magazines and TV ads and shows being flooded with Stars Wars this and Star Wars that. I could care less about any of the new movies, characters, collectibles or park rides. :rolleyes1:badpc:

Narrator: They would, in fact, return to Hollywood Studios.

We will probably never visit Hollywood Studios park again -- and it was once our favorite :( The only thing left there we care about is the Muppets show and Prime Time Cafe! Neither of which is worth buying a day ticket for.

I was one of the ones that way back when waited in line for the first three original movies and still, to this day, think for their time they were great.

But now, my whole family is just so done with all the magazines and TV ads and shows being flooded with Stars Wars this and Star Wars that. I could care less about any of the new movies, characters, collectibles or park rides. :rolleyes1:badpc:

Gotta do what's right for you! I for one am very glad any time someone decides not to go to HS, a few less people to wait in line behind ;)

the same "we" in your post that I quoted.

yeah, well "they" can do what they want, but "we" won't be back there any time in our next two to three visits. ;) I'll use that time at other parks I like better now -- like AK and World Showcase.

But the truth is, not that many people were going on this ride. The park has 120 minutes wate on TSM and no wait on the GMR. People were not doing this ride as they waited for there fast pass time, or cool off.
It was that bad. Disney has to distribute there Guest. To rides so all,the lines are not that long.
The GMR was not doing its part in this.
Just ask your 12 yo. If they know of any of the movies in the GMR, what was the last time a cowboy movie was made. ??? Unfortunately times are changing

But the truth is, not that many people were going on this ride. The park has 120 minutes wate on TSM and no wait on the GMR. People were not doing this ride as they waited for there fast pass time, or cool off.
It was that bad. Disney has to distribute there Guest. To rides so all,the lines are not that long.
Just ask your 12 yo. If they know of any of the movies in the GMR, what was the last time a cowboy movie was made. ??? Unfortunately times are changing

The wait times for GMR were often posted incorrectly. I know my last trip I saw it at 10 minutes so hopped in. I think it was 30-45 before I got on a ride.

Westerns as still being made today.

I enjoyed GMR and it was always a nice break during the day. I especially loved the alien sequence and where the vehicle got taken over.

The wait times for GMR were often posted incorrectly. I know my last trip I saw it at 10 minutes so hopped in. I think it was 30-45 before I got on a ride.

Westerns as still being made today.

I enjoyed GMR and it was always a nice break during the day. I especially loved the alien sequence and where the vehicle got taken over.

The last time I rode it (shortly before it closed) the posted time was I think 40 minutes. I ended up waiting over an hour.

That said, if they closed everything that had short waits, most of Epcot would be shuttered. I'm hopeful the new ride will be good, but I just don't see it having any longer waits than GMR once the newness wears off, especially with SWGE and TSL open.

GMR waits became longer when they added it to the FP system. However, it was pretty easy to get a FP.

The problem with GMR was it really needed an update. When the most recent movie you show is 40 years old, it's a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!