Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just us - the "thing" that caused WDW to destroy the Great Movie Ride, rather than updating it?

We don't care if the "Runaway Train-wreck" EVER opens.
I really hate that they took out the Great Movie Ride.

But, I want another ride in HS. Not another show. Will this train ride be good, I don't know.

I miss the GMR. It was my favorite. I expect the new ride to be akin to the Roger Rabbit ride at DL but I am willing to be amazed.

I miss the GMR. It was my favorite. I expect the new ride to be akin to the Roger Rabbit ride at DL but I am willing to be amazed.
I wouldn't expect it to be anything like that. I know there hasn't really been a whole ton released. But based on what has, trackless dark ride with screens and physical sets, the closest thing I would think to compare it to would be Ratatouille.
Whatever it is, I'm extremely excited for it!!

Yea with it being trackless would expect something more akin to Ratatouille as well.
However if it was liek Roger Rabbit I'd be fine with that too. That is easily one of my favorite classic style Disney dark rides ever.

GMR was way past its prime. The cast members were totally phoning it in and none of the scenes were ever updated. Even the film at the end of great movie moments never had any new footage added to it. It was just another victim of the general neglect of DHS.

Even the film at the end of great movie moments never had any new footage added to it
Well that’s simply just not true at all. Plenty of films were added in. And when Osborne became the host it changed quite a bit, and that was only 3 years before it closed. And under the Osborne Hosting it still received additional updates. That montage may actually be the thing that Disney updated the most.

Last edited:

Spring 2020 is the set opening date right now...

I almost wonder if they pulled construction people from Mickey and Mini to help get SWGE open on time, or Rise open earlier than at DL.

GMR was past it's prime and I'm good with it being replaced. Mickey finally getting a ride also is great. The one thing that bothers me so much about this ride is the style of animation. Mickey just recently celebrated his 90th birthday and for almost all of those years his look didn't change much at all. But now this new style came and this is the ride we're getting. I hate the animation. Goofy looks like he's struggling with a few problems and all the characters on the show are pretty mean spirited. Historically Donald was the only one with a temper. I may be alone but it def annoys me. Sorry that was a long rant for someone who never posts

GMR was past it's prime and I'm good with it being replaced. Mickey finally getting a ride also is great. The one thing that bothers me so much about this ride is the style of animation. Mickey just recently celebrated his 90th birthday and for almost all of those years his look didn't change much at all. But now this new style came and this is the ride we're getting. I hate the animation. Goofy looks like he's struggling with a few problems and all the characters on the show are pretty mean spirited. Historically Donald was the only one with a temper. I may be alone but it def annoys me. Sorry that was a long rant for someone who never posts
You aren’t alone. It’s a very common complaint. A lot of people do not like this art style.

Following also. Even though I loved the Great Movie ride I guess it will fun to try a new ride.
I wish they would have gone to the effort to upgrade the Great Movie Ride. Tarzan and Cheeta were never really portrayed properly. It would have been nice if Disney would have reached out to Carol Burnett to provide the Tarzan yell for the attraction.

You're not the only one who feels that way. Honestly, I think it would be cool to have a ride with Mickey based on all the styles of animation over the years. Also, a good compromise would have been to keep the same concept of the ride and have Mickey and Minnie, perhaps the Fab Five as well, not necessarily portray the exact same films, but portray other classic films and keep the over all theme.

I wish they would have gone to the effort to upgrade the Great Movie Ride. Tarzan and Cheeta were never really portrayed properly. It would have been nice if Disney would have reached out to Carol Burnett to provide the Tarzan yell for the attraction.

That's where I'm at too; it was the centerpiece of the park. It could have easily been updated (well more so than a completely new attraction).

GMR was way past its prime. The cast members were totally phoning it in and none of the scenes were ever updated. Even the film at the end of great movie moments never had any new footage added to it. It was just another victim of the general neglect of DHS.

It was my pre-teen daughter's favorite ride in all of WDW. One person's trash is another person's treasure.

I agree as well. But lets face it, the original vision of HS is dead.

At this point, they need to rename the park. I do not know what, but they might as well. Other than the "Hollywood" area, almost all of the rides, or attractions no longer theme to the idea of film making, or a studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!