Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, they need to rename the park. I do not know what, but they might as well. Other than the "Hollywood" area, almost all of the rides, or attractions no longer theme to the idea of film making, or a studio.

They’ve rejigged the vision, IMO. Instead of taking you “behind the scenes” so to speak w Great Movie Ride or backlot tour or whatever, they’ve kept the ‘focus on performers’ going with Indy, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, and to a lesser degree Frozen. Then, what they’ve added is “immersion into the movies” with TSL and SWGE. Everything in TSL puts you shrunk down to toy-size and despite some grumblings about a dead end with no shade, you really do feel like a little toy in Andy’s backyard. I’m expecting SWGE to be even more impressive.

Movie immersion is something Universal’s been excelling at lately and they’ve shown it can be done well. With their Harry Potter areas especially, you don’t feel like you’re walking onto a soundstage but rather into the world of the films. Skull Island puts you right there in the thick of King Kong action. I haven’t heard anyone say they should take “Studios” out of their name though.

Admittedly I don’t know how well MMRR is going to fit into this, but other than that I’m okay with the IP lands and immersion as befitting the park’s new mission.

They’ve rejigged the vision, IMO. Instead of taking you “behind the scenes” so to speak w Great Movie Ride or backlot tour or whatever, they’ve kept the ‘focus on performers’ going with Indy, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, and to a lesser degree Frozen. Then, what they’ve added is “immersion into the movies” with TSL and SWGE. Everything in TSL puts you shrunk down to toy-size and despite some grumblings about a dead end with no shade, you really do feel like a little toy in Andy’s backyard. I’m expecting SWGE to be even more impressive.

Movie immersion is something Universal’s been excelling at lately and they’ve shown it can be done well. With their Harry Potter areas especially, you don’t feel like you’re walking onto a soundstage but rather into the world of the films. Skull Island puts you right there in the thick of King Kong action. I haven’t heard anyone say they should take “Studios” out of their name though.

Admittedly I don’t know how well MMRR is going to fit into this, but other than that I’m okay with the IP lands and immersion as befitting the park’s new mission.

Yeah, but the difference between Universal Studios and Hollywood Studios is one has made drastic changes in the theming and what kind of attractions they generate and one has not. While both has lost their "backlot" tours after time had passed, or certain shows, Universal Studios has kept other behind the scenes tours, one of their original opening day shows about behind the scenes make up and effects, as well as opened a prop shop a few years ago to keep the studio / film theme alive.

If anything Disney can call it "Disney Live", or something along those lines of using the word "Live", as like you pointed out, they have seemed to have focused on live shows for quite sometime and added more along the way. It can be argued that HS is the same thing as USF regardless I suppose considering Michael Eisner kind of did that on purpose.

They have definitely moved from the "studio" feel to the immersion of the actually film. I agree the name no longer fits

At this point, they need to rename the park. I do not know what, but they might as well. Other than the "Hollywood" area, almost all of the rides, or attractions no longer theme to the idea of film making, or a studio.
Certainly they should change the name. Maybe call it Disney Hollywood Adventure?

Ew those costumes are ugly unappealing.
I hope this ride opens by mid April while we are there. Any chance?

I'm interested in how this will look. The picture with the fountain and the imagineer confirms that there will be physical sets with what I am assuming are projections on them.

Is this going to be a nice tame ride or fast??? Any description of the ride? Thanks
It’s a trackless ride. Supposed to be family friendly too so don’t expect crazy thrills or anything. I’m sure there will be some fun or movement parts but won’t be a slow moving omnimover type ride either.

It’s a trackless ride. Supposed to be family friendly too so don’t expect crazy thrills or anything. I’m sure there will be some fun or movement parts but won’t be a slow moving omnimover type ride either.

I actually don't want thrills or craziness. I have vertigo and have to close my eyes when watching a lot of movement. Hope it's tame! Thanks.

Guessing a re-purposed ratatouille ride. Where the ride vehicles roam the floor to change order or sequence, moving from room to room. At one point being in a sequential line, at other times in parallel in front of a large screen. With physical sets and differing view points, the effect is really quite remarkable to my eyes in DLP.

Guessing a re-purposed ratatouille ride. Where the ride vehicles roam the floor to change order or sequence, moving from room to room. At one point being in a sequential line, at other times in parallel in front of a large screen. With physical sets and differing view points, the effect is really quite remarkable to my eyes in DLP.

My motionsick father did not do well on Ratatouille, nor did my sister who is not usually as sensitive to motion as our dad. Some of that may be due to the 3D on that ride, which MMRR will not have.

Is that the full ride vehicle - just the two rows of seats - or would there be a full train with additional cars behind it?

If it's just those two rows, then I'm still holding out hope that the general feel of the ride might be something similar to a slightly slower Mr. Toad's wild ride (uh, minus the hellfire sequence, obviously). Not a direct copy of it, especially since the original's still in place in California, but the idea of darting around through the cartoon scenery, maybe with a few "near misses", etc, could be a really fun fit for the theme.

Is that the full ride vehicle - just the two rows of seats - or would there be a full train with additional cars behind it?

If it's just those two rows, then I'm still holding out hope that the general feel of the ride might be something similar to a slightly slower Mr. Toad's wild ride (uh, minus the hellfire sequence, obviously). Not a direct copy of it, especially since the original's still in place in California, but the idea of darting around through the cartoon scenery, maybe with a few "near misses", etc, could be a really fun fit for the theme.
There will be additional cars behind it. The cars will be in line and then when "mayhem" ensues the cars will detach and move around.

I’m hoping the twists aren’t too tight as well. Pop has fractures in his back and can’t ride Toy Story Midway Mania because of the spins. But he could ride the Great Movie because no jerky motions. If they really wanted to push technology, they could have where one car is very tame and the rest have the spins and turns. Then even more people could enjoy it. Thrills for those who want, And easygoing for those who need it.

I’m hoping the twists aren’t too tight as well. Pop has fractures in his back and can’t ride Toy Story Midway Mania because of the spins. But he could ride the Great Movie because no jerky motions. If they really wanted to push technology, they could have where one car is very tame and the rest have the spins and turns. Then even more people could enjoy it. Thrills for those who want, And easygoing for those who need it.

This is me. I like the calm rides, that's why I like Disney but it seems like they keep removing the tamer rides and replacing them with more thrill rides. Once that happens, we won't go anymore. Disney has to cater to all their guests, not just the ones who like thrill rides.

Totally agree, and DHS is in definite need of tamer rides. There are no spinners, no flat rides, no boat rides, though I haven’t been there since Toy Story Land opened so maybe Alien Swirling Saucers fits, at least as much as Midway Mania does.

This should help immensely, but a Star Wars spinner and a tame dark ride somewhere (Monsters Inc? Incredibles? Inside Out? Tangled? Duck Tales?) would make this a really good park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!