Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for height restrictions - no one knows for sure but I suspect either no restrictions (just checked and both mystic Manor and Ratatouille-which are trackless ride systems- say "any height")
It really seemed like it was being billed as a ride for the whole family -- I would really doubt there would be any restrictions.

the new goofy is meant to look like goofy's original "dippy dawg" design combined with a few modern aspects (his hat and eyes)

i can see how people wouldn't like it, but since their reference is the '30s cartoons (while donald and co. are based on carl barks' designs) it makes sense to use goofy's earliest look, and i like how much character it gives him

6012703_f520.jpg
5d243832a81a7b4f5eeb3757b054df7a.png
The new Goofy has whiskers all over his body, plus armpit hair. That makes him look more disheveled than the 1932 version.

GMR will be missed. Always enjoyed riding it. Understand the reasoning behind it but it still a classic.
6n3i32O.jpg

kV23Cgi.jpg

kUDIYNr.jpg

Especially the Wizard of OZ part. Always cool.
Thanks for the pictures. I wish I had photo's of every scene so I could look back at it. Do you think they are available anywhere?

Agreed. Was GMR ever the focal point of the park?
I don't know if it was the focal point, but it sure made me think "Hollywood Studios." Sure, Star Wars is a movie as well, but it doesn't make you think of movie history, like GMR. They are trying to give HS a face lift, hope it doesn't turn out to be like some of those "botched jobs" we see on many actors...LOL!

This generation just doesn't care about the classics like we do I guess, weren't all these movies really old mostly when the attraction opened too? Save for Indy
I guess some of us are getting old. They are bringing in the new, as the old fade away. Sad but true.

I can remember watching the mousekateers on television, with their little mickey ear hats and shouting out their names. Wow, am I showing my age! Kids today don't watch Mickey cartoons. They know Mickey because of Disney World. Lots of young people don't watch the classics. Star Wars is becoming their classic movie. In future generations, this will fade as well. When do you think Carousel of Progress will go?

Kids today don't watch Mickey cartoons.
Most kids may not sit around watching the OLD Mickey cartoons, but many absolutely DO watch these new Mickey shorts! My kids and their friends love them. Makes sense to me that they've gone with this new style for a new ride. And as I and some others have said, this new style is more in keeping with older Mickey cartoons... just not like the 80's/90's Mickey.

the carousel of progress definitely seems safe by now since it's a certified classic. even when they got rid of it in california it was only so they could move it over here. the only problem is that the "modern day" set that was originally the '60s is now some mishmash of the '90s, outdated predictions of today's technology, and technologies that don't exist. it'd be nice if in the future, they gave it a revamp that went in 40 year gaps (1900s, 1940s, 1980s, 2020s) rather than the current system (1900s, 1920s, 1940s, 1960s/1990s)

but disney seems reluctant on updating classic rides (and i can't blame them, out of fear for repeating the "under new management" fiasco). these days they prefer closing and replacing them entirely. that's probably what did the movie ride in... that and compared to other top-tier rides in the park (the tower, RnRC, toy story, star tours) the wait times usually peaked at 30 minutes max. it could've definitely seen new life if it got continual revamps, but that would've been costly and the turnout probably wouldn't be worth the price of admission. even TCM's involvement mostly involved a fresh coat of paint, a change of script, and a new film for the queue... it didn't really help much

the carousel of progress definitely seems safe by now since it's a certified classic. even when they got rid of it in california it was only so they could move it over here. the only problem is that the "modern day" set that was originally the '60s is now some mishmash of the '90s, outdated predictions of today's technology, and technologies that don't exist. it'd be nice if in the future, they gave it a revamp that went in 40 year gaps (1900s, 1940s, 1980s, 2020s) rather than the current system (1900s, 1920s, 1940s, 1960s/1990s)

but disney seems reluctant on updating classic rides (and i can't blame them, out of fear for repeating the "under new management" fiasco). these days they prefer closing and replacing them entirely. that's probably what did the movie ride in... that and compared to other top-tier rides in the park (the tower, RnRC, toy story, star tours) the wait times usually peaked at 30 minutes max. it could've definitely seen new life if it got continual revamps, but that would've been costly and the turnout probably wouldn't be worth the price of admission. even TCM's involvement mostly involved a fresh coat of paint, a change of script, and a new film for the queue... it didn't really help much

Well, some attractions get updates - the Haunted Mansion has gotten several updates over the years, obviously Pirates has as well ... but I think it largely works better when it is gradual updates. Plus there are a few that have Walt's name on them (Tiki Room and CoP) that I think people struggle with updates to them more than others

Thanks for the pictures. I wish I had photo's of every scene so I could look back at it. Do you think they are available anywhere?
The Laughing Place has a blog entry from a meet up inside Great Movie Ride with many pictures. It may not have the exact shot of a certain scene that you are wanting, but there is definitely at least one picture from each scene.
http://www.laughingplace.com/w/articles/2017/08/07/great-movie-ride-goodbye-disney-parks-blog-style/

I will never for the life of me understand why the Mickey Ride isn't going in where the old Magic of Disney Animation building is. Talk about an appropriate replacement. I never will understand the need to replace the Great Movie Ride. There are plenty of places the Ride could have gone without the need to close an existing high-capacity attraction

I will never for the life of me understand why the Mickey Ride isn't going in where the old Magic of Disney Animation building is. Talk about an appropriate replacement. I never will understand the need to replace the Great Movie Ride. There are plenty of places the Ride could have gone without the need to close an existing high-capacity attraction
Disney execs want fresh and new with Disney IP. GMR was old, outdated, and not all Disney IP.

Disney execs want fresh and new with Disney IP. GMR was old, outdated, and not all Disney IP.

True, although I wont miss GMR personally, and I'm actually glad to see more Mickey in the parks. DHS has never been my favorite park, and while I'm optimistic for what's coming, the future of the park itself seems to be utterly lacking in any coherent identity beyond being kind of an MK overflow for IP.

:thumbsup2 I'm with you. Good point about using the old animation building -- or even the building where they used to have special exhibits (like Narnia, etc.). They had plenty of space to add more movie scenes and even could replace a lot of the older ones and make it fresh and new. Basically we will only end up going to this park for the Prime Time Cafe. What was once a "classic movie park" and now just a Star Wars and Toy Story park.

Anyone know if the main street of old type Hollywood and the characters that used to come out will still be part of this park, or are they doing away with that too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!