Great time at Discovery Cove!

Jewel1310

Mouseketeer
We just got back from Discovery Cove, Sea World, and Epcot last week. Discovery Cove was definitely the high light of our trip. My family and I have never encountered Dolphins ouside of seeing them in the wild from boats or the shore and had never tried snorkeling. With that in mind I have to say it was a magical day!

We arrived early at about 8:30 and only waited for 10 minutes to check in and get our Dolphin swim time of 9:30. From there we were off to lockers, wet suits, and locating a beach chair. Our time did not allow for us to get in the water before our scheduled Dolphin swim with Diego. He was much bigger than I anticipated but playful and fun. We had two kids a DD - 10 and a DS - 13. DD was a little scared and nervous in the water but liked the dolphin play. I think she would have relaxed more if we had a later swim so she could see the wet suit helped keep her afloat.

We were in the water about 30 or 35 minutes and it seemed to last longer than I expected. We then were taken to the pictures tent where we were not pressured, had all our questions answered, and spent what we had decided (although we planned on 175 - 200 dollars) by purchasing a CD with 5 pictures and the video. All items we are happy with even now.

After that it was playing in the fresh water area to get used to our masks and snorkels. We then went to the aviary as we had been warned in the picture tent that the birds are more active when they are hungry. We fed a Toucan by hand as well as numerous other birds. The kids kept disappearing into the fresh water creek area.

Before hitting the salt water area we decided on lunch. The food was good for a park and everyone had enough choices and enough to eat. I have to admit we were eager to get back to the water. It was getting hot so we switched our wet suits for vests and off we went.

The water was cold but felt refreshing. If you get too cold you can jump into the fresh water which is much warmer. DD was nervous around the salt water pools because of the sting ray (some had to be at least 5 feet) but even she swam around a while. I found it magical and peaceful - different fish ands sights every where you look. The area where the sharks are is well done. I found myself glancing behind me just in case.....

About 4:15 it started to rain. We heard thunder but no one asked us to leave. A life guard we asked about that indicated that they have an advanced weather forcasting system that alerts them to when people need to get out of the water. About 20 minutes later that occured. As it was close to closing we decided, reluctantly, to head back to the hotel (although we stopped for dinner first - I was less tired than I expected at the end of a very full day)

Everyone agreed it was our best day of the Orlando portion of our trip (and maybe best day on vacation in years) If I went back I might not swim with the Dolphins - it was fun and exciting and well worth it this time, but there was so much more to do. It was a great experience!

Thank you so much for posting this, we are going to DC on 08/17 and really looking forward to it, its all the children have talked about for weeks now - oh well it's getting closer

Madcoco - that was him. He was such a gentle bird. We found the staff people in each section to be helpful and educational. They helped us coax the more timid birds down.

Great Photo!!

Thanks.We were surprised how close up you could get to the birds for photos.Never knew how entertaining crows were.We were watching the resident female(can't remember the name they gave her) untying a guides shoe.She would retie it only to have it undone again.This went on and on and was hilarious.Wish we would have had the vid camera.The staff was wonderful. We just never expected the Aviary to be so entertaining.

Did you find the cost of the photos and video less than what you had budgeted for? I have heard from several people the video is well worth it.
Thanks for the report. We will be there on Thanksgiving Day!

miswit,

We found the pictures to be just what we expected. The video has great reminder and a good way to show other's about it. The pictures we purchased were on CD (5 for $100) that allow us to edit or e-mail them. We also bought a beautiful dolphin frame so our total cost was at $200. I think it helps going in with a plan that way the only agony (or not if you determine not to purchase) is what pictures to get.

Hope you have a great time!!!

Julie

Thanks Julie,
I think if we expect to pay that much, it will be easier to fork all that money over. It is most likely a once in a life time thing for us, and it's best to have the pictures to remind us!

we have just arrived home yesterday (sunday), and our DC day was on the 08/17 it was everything we expected and more. The dolphin swim was just magical and we all had a brilliant time - there was no hard sell of the photo's and we had budgeted well for them, we watched the video last night (it was on the pal system) and did feel for $60 it was a little amateurish, and spent alot of the time with the trainers butt in the middle of the shot, but it would have been nice to have been able to preview a little of it at the same time as the photo's which were excellent quality, including the free photo, in lovely mounts, I did feel that for a quality setup like DC the pictures in the snowglobes were a little tacky. But all in all the only fault we can come up with was with the sunscreen, we all burnt even though we applied it a little and often as directed, but even that could not spoil our day.

I think you really captured the special magic of Discovery Cove, and I hope your report will encourage people to take the plunge (as it were) and give the park a try.

Yes, it's expensive. But sometimes you do get what you pay for.

Since this post alerted me to the existence of the 5 photo CD (which we ended up buying when we were there on Monday 9/2 - great experience, I highly reccommend it), I thought I would add a bit more detail.

The photos are available in CD form, for $20 each, with a minumum of 5. In other words, you can get 5 for $100, 6 for $120, 7 for $140, etc.

The resolution of the photos is 2100x1575 or 3.3 Megapixel. Which is enough to print out at 300dpi on a 5x7 sheet.

I thought this was easily the best option. Look at it this way, in 10 years, photo printers will be even better and cheaper than they are now, and you will be able to print out a brand new copy when your old one may be starting to fade.

Great information Rick - we felt the same about the CD. We use all digital camera's now so it worked well into our normal vacation photos.

Kelly I did buy your book - hope that helps pay for your next trip. I used it as a resource for our trip. Thanks!

Julie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter